The England thread

I wonder what a Bent/Defoe team would look like. Even if he didn't score against the Swiss, Defoe is a work horse who plays for his place in the quad.

Of course, this won't happen because Rooney always has to start. I don't see the harm in letting him sit on the bench just to try something new, and if it doesn't work bring him on at half-time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin
England boss Fabio Capello has called up uncapped Bolton striker Kevin Davies for his Euro 2012 squad to face Montenegro at Wembley on 12 October.

Davies, 33, is joined by Wayne Rooney, who has recovered from his ankle injury, with Darren Bent and Peter Crouch the other forwards.

Also included by Capello are John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Joe Cole, Aaron Lennon and goalkeeper Rob Green.

Arsenal's Jack Wilshere has been named in both the under-21 and senior squads.

England have made a perfect start to their Euro 2012 qualifying campaign with victories over Bulgaria and Switzerland.

In both matches Everton's Phil Jagielka produced towering performances in central defence, lessening the impact of the absence of Ferdinand and Terry.

If Jagielka keeps his place, Capello faces a tricky selection dilemma when he names his starting line-up.

Davies' inclusion owes much to injuries to Tottenham striker Jermain Defore, Fulham's Bobby Zamora and Aston Villa forward Gabriel Agbonlahor while Capello has also overlooked Newcastle United's Andy Carroll who had been tipped for a call up.

Speaking in August Davies, who was capped by the under-21's over a decade ago, admitted he had given up on winning his first full cap.

Aston Villa striker Emile Heskey rejected the chance to temporarily end his retirement from international football.

Whether Davies plays any part against Montenegro remains to be seen with Capello saying before the announcement of his squad that he expects Sunderland's Bent, who has scored eight times this season, to be a pivotal figure for England in the future.

Bent, 26, was overlooked for the World Cup, despite his 24 goals leaving him second only to Rooney amongst English-born players in the Premier League last season.

"Bent is back," Capello told the Football Association's website. "In front of goal, he is really dangerous.

"He played 20 minutes against Switzerland and scored an important goal. Now he is training really well. He is probably one of the important players for the future."

Bent is likely to start alongside Rooney - who has handed Capello with a much-needed injury boost.

There is also a recall for midfielder Cole, who has endured a far from smooth ride since his arrival at Liverpool from Chelsea.

Cole's dismissal on his Premier League debut against Arsenal in August and the suspension that followed were probably contributing factors in his missing the qualifiers against Bulgaria and Switzerland.

England squad to face Montenegro on 12 October:

Goalkeepers: Ben Foster (Birmingham City), Robert Green (West Ham United), Joe Hart (Manchester City)

Defenders: Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa)

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Joe Cole (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham Hotspur), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Ashley Young (Aston Villa)

Forwards: Darren Bent (Sunderland), Peter Crouch (Tottenham Hotspur), Kevin Davies (Bolton Wanderers), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

I really, really want Bent to start. I think he deserves it. I think Rooney + Bent/Defoe will work wonderfully, because when Rooney runs back onto the edge of his own box to get the ball, somebody will still be up front. And lol, Davies. Good at what he does for Bolton but surely nowhere near international standard. Still, will be a nice moment for him if he gets on the pitch.

Seems a bit daft to me. No issue at all with his call-up, but it'll just be like the single cap call ups for Steven Taylor, David Wheater, Gary Cahill et al, where he picks an unfashionable player then just leaves them on the bench and they never get capped again...

Taylor and Wheater have both been in squads but never made it on, just like Kevin Davies. Both are also under 24 so have a good chance of getting more like Gary Cahill, I'm just saying Capello has previous for calling players up and not playing them. Taylors was 3 years ago, Wheaters 2, so I don't think it was a hugely wrong statement, and Davies hasn't got the luxury of another 5 years to wait.

Think before you type. Jeez.

• Like 1

Your first post you compared Davies' call up to the squad to the other three men. Your second post was essentially saying Davies' case is nothing like these because the guy is 33 years old and doesn't have the rest of his career ahead of him.

Yes, Taylor and Wheater have both been in the full squad, you said capped. Terminology is quite important.

Plus, you can hardly base the argument for Taylor and Wheater based on WHEN they were called up without looking at the circumstances which they have both faced since then. Both of their clubs were relegated to the Championship, where they chose to stay. I can't really speak much on Wheater because I don't know too much of him but I know Taylor suffered an injury plagued season last year, especially towards the latter ends of the season. Circumstances have worked against him for England. That's all, same I think, with Wheater. If they had both stayed in the Premiership? Maybe a very different story. I just think you picked two very poor examples to back up your argument. Something you seem to do a lot of based on what I have read of your opinions on football. It's frustrating.

And how could Capello call Taylor up to the squad three years ago? He hasn't been manager for that long.

Your first post you compared Davies' call up to the squad to the other three men. Your second post was essentially saying Davies' case is nothing like these because the guy is 33 years old and doesn't have the rest of his career ahead of him.

Yes, Taylor and Wheater have both been in the full squad, you said capped. Terminology is quite important.

Plus, you can hardly base the argument for Taylor and Wheater based on WHEN they were called up without looking at the circumstances which they have both faced since then. Both of their clubs were relegated to the Championship, where they chose to stay. I can't really speak much on Wheater because I don't know too much of him but I know Taylor suffered an injury plagued season last year, especially towards the latter ends of the season. Circumstances have worked against him for England. That's all, same I think, with Wheater. If they had both stayed in the Premiership? Maybe a very different story. I just think you picked two very poor examples to back up your argument. Something you seem to do a lot of based on what I have read of your opinions on football. It's frustrating.

And how could Capello call Taylor up to the squad three years ago? He hasn't been manager for that long.

Go on then, I'll bite. I had just made a throwaway comment on how the excitement of Davies callup being a bit premature based on Capellos policy on squad players, and did make a timing error with my Steven Taylor comment, and may have to eat my words if he plays a half, but where are all the other errors with my opinions of football? I don't even post in the Sports Bar that often, so I'd love to know how you've formed this idea.

Ugh why does Jagielka have to be such an injury prone cunt. Is it too much to ask to have more than one decent centre back who isn't completely crocked? :(

Guess it means we'll defo have Terry and Ferdinand in defence now :( Was hoping for Jagz and Ferdinand personally.

Sadly, my current level of apathy towards the England team is such that I only really care that Ashley Cole walks away uninjured.

Will still have the match on in the background though. It's a good excuse to keep Stokerina from putting anything worse on the TV. :shifty:

Capello says Terry and Ferdinand are his number one centre back pairing. Andy Townsend promptly has a wank because this is apparently a revelation.

I hate ITV.

Also, big props to Ashley Young for representing those of us too retarded to actually have a signature and just write our name :shifty:

Edited by Pesci