The England thread

Walker gets a call up, and no Martin Kelly, the man who's forcing Glen Johnson to play on the left doesn't, what the hell. I know Walkers played alright but Kelly's been just as good if not better and deserves the chance a lot more. And Glen Johnson shouldnt be in before him either

Even though Barton is ace, I don't think he'll play for England again, just because he has been in so much trouble and of course his couple months in prison too. It is the same with Jermaine Pennant, a few years back when he was at Liverpool and he scored that cracker against Chelsea, everybody was calling for him to be called into the squad. But because he spent time in prison he was never considered, and if his form picked up again he wouldn't be considered now either. The FA must think having ex-convicts represent their country isn't such a good idea.

That's a nonsense excuse, Andy Carroll who's had much more recent troubles was in the last squad andn didn't Capello say something along the lines that he judges players by how they perform on the field. Joey Barton has been on fire this season and genuinely looks like a redeemed man, to hold past issues against him is just a pointless grudge.

One good thing though is that we nabbed Ciaran Clark from England before he became a class act because I'd easily have him in this squad! Just need to get him and James McCarthy to play competitive games now and the future is good.

It depends. I wouldn't include Joey Barton until I was positive he's matured. You can't involve a player too much in the set-up who's liable to fuck everything up at a moment's notice. If Capello still sees a risk in Barton, he's right not to include him. I don't think it's a grudge.

Take a look at him getting ripped in two by Diaby then grabbed by the neck by him yesterday and tell me he's liable to fuck up. Follow that up with the Wolves game where he was kicked off the park. He's targetted in every game and I've only seen him lose his cool once since we were relegated, the admittedly stupid punch on Larsen

In the same period you've got Gerrards dubious court case, Terrygate, a list as long as my arm from Andy Carroll and probably half a dozen others that I'm forgetting. You can't keep ignoring him just because he rubs 'Stevie G' and 'Lamps' up the wrong way.

But Gerrard didn't beat the fuck out of a teammate on the changing room floor and wasn't filmed punching somebody in the face at least 20 times :shifty: - it's a completely different kettle of fish. There's isolated incidents, which all footballers have, and then there's a long history of irrational violence.

Walker's call-up shows just how ridiculously short we are at full back. He's had a good couple of games for Villa and suddenly he's in the national team? Huh?

Stockdale is a surprise too. Doubt he'll get any game time but...yeah. He's not even first choice for Fulham. At least we actually look strong up front for once.

Stockdale may be a surprise, but the guy looks good for us. Sure, he isn't first choice, but Schwarzer won't go on forever, and when Stockdale has played (a good 7 or 8 times), he has looked more than competent.

Walker's call-up shows just how ridiculously short we are at full back. He's had a good couple of games for Villa and suddenly he's in the national team? Huh?

Stockdale is a surprise too. Doubt he'll get any game time but...yeah. He's not even first choice for Fulham. At least we actually look strong up front for once.

Stockdale may be a surprise, but the guy looks good for us. Sure, he isn't first choice, but Schwarzer won't go on forever, and when Stockdale has played (a good 7 or 8 times), he has looked more than competent.

Oh I'm not doubting Stockdale's ability or his potential, I like him from the few times I've seen him and I hope he does a good job if and when Schwarzer decides to pack it in, but right now he's not really in a position that I'd consider him good enough for th England squad is all.

I think the experience of spending time with the England squad could be mostly what it is about, plus he is a relatively in form English keeper. It rewards good form, shows what is potentially available in the long term if he keeps it up, various things. Plus, Capello seems to like him from what I can gather.

Edited by Liam

But Gerrard didn't beat the fuck out of a teammate on the changing room floor and wasn't filmed punching somebody in the face at least 20 times :shifty: - it's a completely different kettle of fish. There's isolated incidents, which all footballers have, and then there's a long history of irrational violence.

But Carroll did beat the fuck out of a teammate on the training ground (plus an alleged assault on a girl), and Gerrard was filmed punching someone in the face before being pulled away. Saying all footballers have these isolated incidents is slightly off given that I don't remember Peter Beardsleys roasting scandal (thank God), but Joey Barton famously had a problem with alcoholism which contributed to everything barring the Dabo incident. Thats not an excuse but he's now been teetotal for years and squeaky clean bar the below, if he can continue to put that behind him (exactly as Tony Adams did) why can't he get a callup?

. He's targetted in every game and I've only seen him lose his cool once since we were relegated, the admittedly stupid punch on Larsen

He also lashed at Pedersen. Unless that's who you mean.

I did. No idea where Larsen came from...

Peter Beardsley was from another era. There was a Frank Lampard sex tape and he's about as close as you'll get to a level-headed footballer these days. The point is, once again, that Barton has had numerous issues like this and he's completely different to your guys like Gerrard and Ashley Cole. But I'd agree Barton deserves a chance, I just don't blame Capello for waiting a bit longer. He's still shown signs of his temper even if he's not properly battered someone.

Theres still a few left mind, Paul Scholes springs to mind, and I can't see Theo Walcott with a phone up his arse.

I do agree with you though and I'm not a complete Barton apologist, but as someone who's worked within the 'correctional' system (hush hush, official secrets etc :shifty: ) I'm a believer in reforming, and having watched him week in week out I can tell you that he's far less likely than Wayne Rooney to blow up on a pitch these days. Hopefully in time he'll get the chance to prove it.

Steven Gerrard, Peter Crouch and Ben Foster have all been released from England's squad for Wednesday's game against Denmark because of injuries.

The Football Association also said Gabriel Agbonlahor has not joined up with the party for personal reasons.

West Ham goalkeeper Robert Green and Hammers striker Carlton Cole have been drafted into the revised squad.

Lampers will probably captain the side then, with Rooney as vice-captain I'd imagine.