The England thread

And the point of selecting a 'permanent' captain, with all the stupid media furore, further questioning of Capellos managerial ability and all that went along with it is rendered pointless once again.

Why can't we just pick the captain leading into games? Its clearly going to be between Terry, Rio and Gerrard depending on who's fit, or presumably Barry or similar tomorrow. Just pick based on experience for the game in question.

Don't the Italians (and possibly others) just give the captaincy to whoever's got the most caps in the startling line-up? The obsession the English have with the armband is baffling, if you get to the point where you've only got one leader on the pitch then you're fucked anyway.

I imagine that part of the problem with the 'most caps' system is that it would mean Ashley Cole would be England captain from now until the day he retires. :shifty:

I'm sure Gerrard has more caps than Cole, and who wouldn't want him as captain? They should just give it Rooney though, he plays pretty much every game anyways and he's an ideal role model. :shifty:

I can't believe the media are still going on about the fucking captaincy.

Terry is the captain, someone else will be doing tomorrow for a friendly because Terry isn't in the team, what part of that to they fail to grasp.

Gerrard has only one more cap than Cole, 89 to 88 (he wasn't in the list I originally looked at because that was just the 'current squad'). That will probably be overtaken by the end of the year.

And yes, Rooney...role model. :shifty:

I'm so glad they sent the Chelsea players home - I could just imagine Frank getting randomly crocked again. Even Michael Essien won't be in the Ghana line-up because he's caught onto the fact that every time he goes and plays for Ghana he gets injured for half a year, so his international career is on hiatus. In other words, I care even less about the match than I already did.

Barry will be captain against Ghana anyways according to BBC. Capello has pretty much announced to team too, he has said Hart, Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines, Barry, Parker (if fit) and Carroll will definately start. So that probably leaves either Bent/Defoe up top with Carroll and a duo of Young/Lennon/Downing/Milner/Jarvis on the wings. In my opinion he should start with Jarvis, it's a perfect game for him to show Capello what he's all about, and it's better to give him a start rather than 20 minutes at the end.

I'm disappointed Capello isn't going to give Green a start. Yes, he fucked up in the World Cup, but if he's going to base it off of form, I'd say Green's been doing pretty damn good as of late. Why not give another keeper a start, especially in a meaningless friendly, to let Joe Hart know, hey, you have competition.

Competition for places is always good, no matter the player. I think that's the trap we have fallen into over the past 5 or 6 years with the so called automatic picks ala Terry, Ferdinand, Lampard, Rooney, Gerrard. The best formed players should generally play, and you could argue Green is in better form than Hart right now. As for Rooney, he is probably in the best form he has been in 12 months so he should play, but won't be tomorrow so it's not a problem.

The problem is that it's apparent to everyone, including the goalkeepers in the squad I'd imagine, that Joe Hart is pretty much our only keeper whose up to standard. Seems utterly pointless dropping him for someone who we know isn't good enough to be called on during a competitive match. At least with the likes of Beckham, Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard etc. you could make a case for younger or other players being given a chance, but where's Hart's real competition? Green - we know he's not good enough. Foster - decent at the level of a team like Birmingham, but international football is a step too far for him. Robinson - had his time, wasn't particularly good. Carson - not good enough, even if he was hung out to dry by McClaren. Any young keepers (Stockdale is the immediate one who springs to mind) either haven't played enough or don't play at a high enough level to deserve 'a chance', even in a friendly.

Carroll or Johnson best had not get injured.... <_<

I'd give Wellbeck a chance to start imo, I think a combination of him and Carroll would be a good partnership upfront. Also I'd like Jarvis to start as I think well it's a friendly you might as well give other players the chance to make an impression and if they continue to be on form during the rest of the season you can call them back up again.

If he'd called up Joey Barton instead Liverpool could have watched to see how you actually use Andy Carroll. Not a joke either, once they realise you don't just hoof long balls at him like Crouch he'll score fuckloads.