The England thread

Friendly dates between now and the end of the season are 11th November, 15th November, 29th February, 25th March and 29th March, can't find any confirmation about friendlies on FA website though but if we're having a game it'll be on one of those dates.

A 41-year-old man has been charged with manslaughter following the death of a Wales and Cardiff supporter found injured outside Wembley Stadium.

Michael Dye, 44, suffered head injuries before Tuesday's England v Wales Euro 2012 qualifier and died in hospital.

Ian Mytton of Redditch, Worcestershire, was charged by detectives on Saturday night, Scotland Yard said.

A further three men have been arrested after going to a police station on Sunday.

Mr Dye was found injured near Gate C of the north-west London stadium before the match against England.

He was taken to Northwick Park Hospital where he later died. A post-mortem examination showed the cause of death to be blunt trauma to the back of the head.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said My Mytton was being held at a West Mercia police station and will appear in court on Monday.

"We have been informed that a 41-year-old man has been charged with manslaughter following the death of Micheal Dye," he said.

"We are awaiting confirmation of his details and where he will be appearing in court on Monday."

Six men initially arrested over the death of Mr Dye have been released without charge, he added.

Mr Dye was a mason with Cardiff City Council and was married with three children.

Players and fans paid tribute to him by holding a minute's applause before Saturday's Cardiff City home game against Doncaster. Both teams also wore black arm bands.

Mr Dye's family were guests of Cardiff City Football Club, of which he had been an avid supporter.

The Holland game has also been rescheduled, by the way. Can't see the date anywhere online but its supposedly around the Spain game (we're playing Spain soon apparently?)

Great, now my town is gonna get the media attention for this.

And it'll be interesting to see how we match up against Spain and Holland, which will be just before the Euro's if I'm correct.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Squad is announced in a little while, should be interesting to see who plays right-back and what forwards Capello picks. I'd definately want to see Kyle Walker get a go at right-back and Phil Jones too, also Micah Richards and maybe Martin Kelly should be in contention?

As for up-front there's a lot of strikers in form; Rooney, Welbeck, Bent, Defoe, Carroll, Crouch, Agbonlahor, Zamora and maybe even Andy Johnson?! I'd like to see Agbonlahor get a chance I think with Rooney, Welbeck and either Bent or Defoe.

Yep you're right, no Sturridge :(

Fabio Capello has named a 24-man squad for England’s final UEFA Euro 2012 Group G Qualifier on Friday night.

The Three Lions travel to Podgorica knowing that a point against Montenegro will secure a place at next summer’s Finals in Poland and Ukraine.

Capello has been able to call upon Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck, who missed last month’s games through injury, and will hope that he can bring his club form of five goals in his last six games to the international stage.

Tottenham’s Kyle Walker, who scored the winner in Sunday’s north London derby against Arsenal, is also recalled to the squad. Bobby Zamora, who was also a scorer on Sunday, is one of five forwards on Capello’s list.

The England squad in full

Goalkeepers

Scott Carson, Joe Hart, David Stockdale

Defenders

Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Phil Jagielka, Phil Jones, Micah Richards, John Terry, Kyle Walker

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, Stewart Downing, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young

Forwards

Darren Bent, Andy Carroll, Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck, Bobby Zamora.

I wonder if Capello will play two strikers up, or stick with Rooney and two wingers. I'd like to see Capello try and develop and English strikeforce. I'd like to see them go with Rooney/Wellbeck at some point to see what kind of results it produces at international stage.

Gutted for Sturridge, surely he's done enough to be above Zamora, maybe even Welbeck too. Also hope that Steven Taylor gets a look in for the next load of friendlies, he's looked solid since coming back from injury.

It's because it's for the game to seal qualification and Capello wants experience. This is simply a case of a player with senior caps being > a player without any senior caps, regardless of form, ability, or...well, any other logic really.