The England thread

Welsh fan was apparently killed outside Wembley tonight. Loads of stuff on Twitter, Facebook and some Cardiff City forums, and Joe Ledley's tweeted about it as well.

edit: Dan Roan on Twitter

danroan Dan Roan

Breaking: Met confirm Welsh fan in his 40s has died of head injuries following a fight outside Wembley - 6 supporters in custody

@danroan

Just got back from the game and I'm very happy about the win considering the performance. I didn't see or hear anything about the incident with the fella who died, the Welsh fans were pretty awesome most of the game to be honest. English fans were mostly shite as usual, about 20k or so deciding to leave before the end, this has always pissed me off and even more so because it was only 1-0!

Enjoyed the experience though and it was a nice birthday present to see England all but seal qualification to the finals.

I think the general point was that he was pissed that Milner was in the squad ahead of MICHAEL JOHNSON.

You know, the player that hasn't actually played for City in god knows how long and has grown to the size of a beach ball since his injury.

As bad as Milner may be, he's certainly no Michael Johnson in terms of terrible.

EXCLUSIVE: FA make approach for Redknapp to coach England in Euro's

FA chiefs are hatching an ­emergency plan to install Harry Redknapp as England manager for the Euro 2012 finals.

Top brass have been working to find Fabio Capello’s long-term successor and Tottenham chief Redknapp is the red-hot choice to step into the job.

And People Sport can reveal that an official approach could be made to Spurs for their manager BEFORE Capello’s contract runs out next summer.

The possibility of Redknapp managing­ England at the finals is now being openly discussed in the corridors of power – and is rated ‘probable’ by top sources.

Redknapp could even be offered the post on a part-time basis this season, amid fears that the Three Lions will flop in Poland and Ukraine.

The only question is WHEN Redknapp takes charge, as the FA await the verdict on the Spurs boss’ forthcoming tax issue trial before making a move.

Redknapp has made no secret of his desire to manage England and he might get his chance after the Montenegro qualifying showdown next month.

Capello is already a ‘dead man walking’­ as he is leaving next summer, and it would not cost the FA much to let the Italian’s deal run down, or pay him off early.

Sparkle

There are genuine worries at the FA that Capello lacks the sparkle to raise the players for the finals.

But player-friendly Redknapp could be the man to sprinkle his magic dust on the squad.

The plan has been outlined at the highest level, but Spurs may not be happy to ‘share’ their manager as chairman­ Daniel Levy wants his chief focused on the job at White Hart Lane.

Levy would let Redknapp join England on a full-time basis, but would demand full compensation – with Spurs slapping a £15million figure on their boss’ head to scare off Chelsea last term.

Sunday Paper talk I know but interesting nevertheless, what do people think of the idea? I for one want Harry as the next England manager but I think I'd prefer him to take charge after the Euro's and take us through the World Cup campaign. I'm not the biggest fan of Capello but I think if he gets us to the Euro's (which he pretty much has already) then he deserves the chance to take us to the tournament.

So they want to replace the manager when we're undefeated and only a point away from qualifying for the finals?

Normally I'd call bullshit, but this is the FA so it's almost nailed on to happen.

Can't wait for Redknapp though. Going to be fun to see his ill-deserved reputation crumble.

Well after midweek when in his paper article he answered a question with "Some players pick themselves when fit" referring to Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard etc. I don't think I'm overly keen on seeing him in charge. I'd love to see England for once managed by someone not afraid of upsetting the apple cart so to speak and trying something different. The old guard are becoming just that...old. Not sure if it'd be a good thing to chuck Capello out right before the finals though. If he earns us qualification he deserves to take us to the finals surely.

Can't wait until Redknapp tries to sign someone for England with an under the table brown envelope, and then promptly blames anything on everyone but himself. As is usually the case. Mind you "When I took over we were one point away from qualification and undefeated" doesn't have quite the same ring as "eight games two points" does.

• Admin
A 41-year-old man has been charged with manslaughter following the death of a Wales and Cardiff supporter found injured outside Wembley Stadium.

Michael Dye, 44, suffered head injuries before Tuesday's England v Wales Euro 2012 qualifier and died in hospital.

Ian Mytton of Redditch, Worcestershire, was charged by detectives on Saturday night, Scotland Yard said.

A further three men have been arrested after going to a police station on Sunday.

Mr Dye was found injured near Gate C of the north-west London stadium before the match against England.

He was taken to Northwick Park Hospital where he later died. A post-mortem examination showed the cause of death to be blunt trauma to the back of the head.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said My Mytton was being held at a West Mercia police station and will appear in court on Monday.

"We have been informed that a 41-year-old man has been charged with manslaughter following the death of Micheal Dye," he said.

"We are awaiting confirmation of his details and where he will be appearing in court on Monday."

Six men initially arrested over the death of Mr Dye have been released without charge, he added.

Mr Dye was a mason with Cardiff City Council and was married with three children.

Players and fans paid tribute to him by holding a minute's applause before Saturday's Cardiff City home game against Doncaster. Both teams also wore black arm bands.

Mr Dye's family were guests of Cardiff City Football Club, of which he had been an avid supporter.

The Holland game has also been rescheduled, by the way. Can't see the date anywhere online but its supposedly around the Spain game (we're playing Spain soon apparently?)