The England thread

• Admin

Has he actually shown interest of playing for Ghana? I know he's been capped at England youth level a few times, perhaps it's a case of when he's an adult - if he can't get in the England team - he'll revisit his Ghanaian citizenship. A bit like Ameobi with Nigeria.

From wiki:

Frimpong opted to join England's under-16 team in 2007.[15] In March 2008, Frimpong scored a 71st minute goal for England against Germany's under-16 team in the Montaigu Tournament to give England a 1–0 win.[16]

In 2009, Frimpong switched his allegiance to Ghana.[17] Frimpong said he switched back to Ghana because, "I have always said that, no matter what, I will always play for Ghana because at the end of the day, from what I believe, I am a Ghanaian."[18] In August, 2010, Frimpong backtracked and was called-up for the England under-19 squad to face Slovakia the following month,[19] though he was later forced to withdraw from the squad after suffering his anterior cruciate ligament injury.

In February 2011, Frimpong said: "I have always told my family that if Ghana calls me, I will personally ride my own bicycle from England to Ghana [to play for the Black Stars]".[20] In August, Frimpong had planned to spectate a friendly match between Ghana and Nigeria at Vicarage Road in Watford, but the game was postponed due to the 2011 England riots.[21] Later that month, Frimpong received his first call-up for the England under-21 team.[22]

25-man squad for England's two upcoming Euro 2012 Qualifiers against Bulgaria and Wales.

The squad looks like this:

WALCOTT, Theo - Arsenal

BENT, Darren - Aston Villa

CAHILL, Gary - Bolton Wanderers

COLE, Ashley - Chelsea

LAMPARD, Frank - Chelsea

TERRY, John - Chelsea

BAINES, Leighton - Everton

JAGIELKA, Phil - Everton

STOCKDALE David - Fulham (on loan at Ipswich)

CARROLL, Andy - Liverpool

DOWNING, Stewart - Liverpool

BARRY, Gareth - Manchester City

HART, Joe - Manchester City

JOHNSON, Adam - Manchester City

LESCOTT Joleon - Manchester City

MILNER, James - Manchester City

RICHARDS, Micah - Manchester City

CLEVERLEY, Tom - Manchester United

JONES, Phil - Manchester United

ROONEY, Wayne - Manchester United

SMALLING, Chris - Manchester United

YOUNG, Ashley - Manchester United

DEFOE, Jermain - Tottenham Hotspur

GREEN, Robert - West Ham United

PARKER, Scott - West Ham United

Didn't Fergie just go on a rant about how United gives the most amount of players to England or something...?

Well this year we've had 8 players called up which is more than any other club by my count, there's only 5 in this squad because of injuries. Ferdinand and Welbeck would have definately been in otherwise and then Carrick gets sporadic call-ups depending on his form.

In those few games though he has been better than any other English striker in the league so why shouldn't he get called up, people wanted call ups based on form rather than reputation if I remember rightly?

• Like 2

Wait, we're complaining about an English manager picking in form players? Really? Our biggest problem for as long as I remember is that we refused to replace our 'established' players despite their form. I completley welcome young talent, such as Wellbeck, being given a call-up to England if he's on form and has made a good partnership with Rooney. I really don't see how you can be complaining about in form, exciting young players being picked for England.

• Like 3

If its form surely Steven Taylor gets a callup if Lescotts out, one goal conceded (unfortunately when Capello actually travelled up North for the first time in two seasons, but keeper error not his fault) in three games.

If its form surely Steven Taylor gets a callup if Lescotts out, one goal conceded (unfortunately when Capello actually travelled up North for the first time in two seasons, but keeper error not his fault) in three games.

Don't be silly, I'm sure there's someone in the Man Utd/Man City/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea/Tottenham reserves, yet.

England's starting line-up tonight is: 1 Joe Hart, 2 Chris Smalling, 3 Ashley Cole, 4 Scott Parker, 5 Gary Cahill, 6 John Terry ©, 7 Theo Walcott, 8 Gareth Barry, 9 Ashley Young, 10 Wayne Rooney, 11 Stewart Downing. Subs: 12 Davd Stockdale, 13 Phil Jagielka, 14 Leighton Baines, 15 James Milner, 16 Frank Lampard, 17 Adam Johnson, 18 Jermain Defoe.

Lots of pace and skill in the front four and full-backs, Barry and Parker will do a good job of running the midfield too I think.

Edited by Starvinho

Barry (N)

Walcott (N)

Smalling at right back (N)

3 wingers? (N)

Cahill (Y)

Parker (Y)

No Lampard (Y) (Y)

Would've played Milner and Parker in the centre, Downing and Young on the flanks, Carroll and Rooney up front and Richards at right back. But hey, I've seen worse England teams thrown out.

Young's been great on the wings, Rooney has been great playing 'in the hole'. Doesn't make much sense to put Young in the hole behind Rooney. Nice to see Smalling in the team, he's been brilliant for us at right-back and the first-team experience will do him good as he's almost certainly our future first-choice CB. I haven't watched any City games this season to see how Richards has been though.