The England thread

We would have been better going out. If you aren't going to let a team play with freedom and expression at U20 then we don't really deserve to go through. Yes we could probably field a better 11 if they had been released by their clubs, but they won't and this is what we have to deal with, negative defensive tactics and our stereotypical and laughable 'two banks of four' to break down.

England squad to play Netherlands on 10 August:

Robert Green, Joe Hart, David Stockdale, Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott, Micah Richards, John Terry, Kyle Walker, Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Stewart Downing, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Jack Wilshere, Ashley Young, Andy Carroll, Peter Crouch, Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck

Will someone remind me what Barry and Carrick have done to get in the England squad? And Crouch rather than Bent or Defoe? I'd complain about Wellbeck too but yeah, the other option is Sturridge and I'd probably complain as much about him.

Carrick was great towards the end of the season, particularly in Europe. More specifically in the games against Chelsea, wasn't so bad against Schalke either but yeah, it's Schalke. Very underrated player often used as a scapegoat by more reactionary United fans.

The only time I recall anyone in the media praising him was when Graeme Souness commentated on the first Schalke game because Souness understands what he does, breaking up play and shielding the back 4 and all that. He has a few bad games every now and then, the City one at Wembley and the Valencia game at home but generally he's good, he just doesn't stand out because he's not exactly a box-to-box midfielder and doesn't participate in the flowing attacking moves.

Edited by DanLowth

Carrick is wonderful but doesn't really fit into the England ethos of hoof-ball, then against Gerrard and Lampard never really did either and they got in on name-sake alone every match. The Rooney/Carroll partnership makes sense, the big and little man forward line that we don't so much request, but demand, but at least they're both talented enough to pull it off. Crouch and friends provide good back up and can score and play in the matches against lesser opponents if Rooney/Carroll aren't available.

For all he's worth, Crouch seems to be the one who scores against Minor Team XI - so the fact we didn't play him in the World Cup in the group stages baffled me. But then again so did a lot of things.

I'll possibly give the match a reluctant watch unless there's U20 World Cup matches on, or my hair needs a thorough washing.

I just hope they let Rooney do what he does best in the sense that he's not an out and out striker, playing on the last man. He's so much better when he comes deep to retrieve the ball and seems to make something happen out of nothing. Have they tried a Rooney/Bent partnership much? Could be interesting. And I'm hoping Wellbeck has a good showing as I'm sure he'll get some time on wednesday.

Yeah I agree with not needing Crouch anymore now Carroll is on the scene, he can jump higher than Crouch, is a better headerer of the ball and is as strong physically as say Heskey. Crouch just has an amazing goal scoring record going for him.

As for Carrick, I think he's brilliant. But for England he'll always be a squad player at best, especially now Wilshere has emerged and Parker has finally been given a chance.

I'm sure if Parker doesn't make a move to the Premiership soon then he'll be replaced in the England squad. I hope I'm wrong, or he just makes a move to the Premiership, but I think he's put in a couple of really good performances for England since his call-ups.

Bent's paying for that miss against the Switz then? Kinda agree that Crouch's novelty has worn off now we've got Carroll, but really hope to see a Rooney/Carroll pairing to see how those two play together.

Aston Villa striker Darren Bent on Twitter: "Gutted I had to pull out of the England squad, the shoulder has been bothering me and wanna make sure I'm fully fit for the big KO next week"

That's what he is saying.

• Admin
Man United's Tom Cleverley has been called up to England squad for game with Holland on Wednesday. #mufc

Skysports.com understands Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverley has been called up to the England squad for Wednesday's friendly against Holland.

Cleverley is back at United after spending last season on loan at Wigan Athletic and he impressed as a second-half substitute in Sunday's Community Shield win over Manchester City.

The youngster has previously represented England's Under 21s, but has been drafted into the senior squad for the first time by coach Fabio Capello.

His call-up is likely to be as a replacement for Jack Wilshere, with the Arsenal midfielder unlikely to face the Dutch due to an ankle injury.

Wilshere was included in Capello's squad on Saturday evening, but Gunners boss Arsene Wenger warned the teenager would not play after missing his club's friendly defeat by Benfica.

Cleverley's United team-mate Danny Welbeck is also a concern for the game at Wembley as the striker is carrying a slight ankle knock.

Welbeck, who also benefited from a loan spell away from United last season, started the Premier League champions' 3-2 victory over City on Sunday.

He was included in Capello's squad to face Holland after Aston Villa forward Darren Bent was ruled out due to a shoulder injury.

Surprise, one player plays a good match for a top 4 team and voila, English squad.

In fairness he was very good throughout all of last season for Wigan and is coming off the back of a fantastic preseason. There's no harm what so ever in bringing him into the squad for a friendly, so whether he'll get 'oh, played one good match for a top 4 team and made the squad' or not doesn't really matter, it's a good addition.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

Surprise, one player plays a good match for a top 4 team and voila, English squad.

In fairness he was very good throughout all of last season for Wigan and is coming off the back of a fantastic preseason. There's no harm what so ever in bringing him into the squad for a friendly, so whether he'll get 'oh, played one good match for a top 4 team and made the squad' or not doesn't really matter, it's a good addition.

I agree that he was good for Wigan last season; however I suspect Capello probably doesn't have much clue if I'm honest and wouldn't be shocked if his decision was ultimately based off yesterday. :-\

Still - he is a good player, flourished for Wigan and settled in well with them as they play a nice brand of football. Hopefully he sees some action but it'll probably be limited to the final ten minutes if at all I assume.