The England thread

Definitely some kind of statistical trickery going on. I mean even when their method is explained it doesn't really make sense.

Fifa ranking points are accumulated according to results, the importance of the matches played and the strength of the opposing teams.

A team's total number of points is representative of a four-year period, calculated by the average number of points gained over the past 12 months and the average gained from older games, though that points total depreciates yearly.

Unless of course they completely skew the bit where they talk about "the strength of the opposing team" and then, for example, deem a draw against Switzerland as worth more than Brazil thrashing half of South America. Or something.

Anyone watching the England U17 Match? 2-0 down early on but it was on the cards before the match, Germany are going to win this tournament and I've thought this from the moment I watched them. They have too much talent, and aren't suseptible to the bullying tactics we can employ against pesky Latin countries who try tricks and stuff.

However I did suspect us to play this badly to be honest. The defence is a shambles, Lundstram looks okay but more in as an attacking/shooting force than an actual defender. Chalobah, who has been great and scored the coolest penalty I've seen in a long while to seal the win against the Argentines has been shockingly out of position and prone to errors. Going forward we don't look bad and Raheem Sterling's cutting in from the left and shooting with his right is become a little trademark of his and he's good at it. Fact is though, our players are from the likes of Crewe, Brighton, and some Premier League teams but a lot of Germany's players are at the main clubs youth teams like Bayern Munich, Leverkusen, Wolfsburgh, Stuttgart etc. I think the fact Germany have a solid league (rather than a few stand out teams like us) which is competitive year on year is helping these young players and even the senior team. The players can play with quality teammates and against quality opponents a lot more.

Emre Can (Bayern Munich), Samed Yesil (Leverkusen), Weiser (Koln), Aycicek (Wolfsburg) are the top German players in my opinion. From the England side, we are relying on Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Max Clayton (Crewe), Sam Magri (Porstmouth), Alex Henshall (Manchester City). I realise the gulf in teams may not be as great as it could be (you have to factor how far down the list Henshall is going to be at Man City though). But with a bit of thought, the German's just seem more likely to come through and be playing U19, U21 and Senior football. The English players? Sterling I can imagine. The rest? Probably not.

I think we're going to have to have the discussion about the "German method" on how to bring through our youth again aren't we? And yes, I agree, we're going to have to convince a load of Turkish people to be English instead I suppose...

Edited by IAceI

I think we're going to have to have the discussion about the "German method" on how to bring through our youth again aren't we?

Just ask Howard Wilkinson how it's done. Apparently it was his report that the German FA modelled their own youth development 'revamp' on a few years ago, the same report the English FA decided to ignore because the status quo was much better.

And as I type, Sterling goes close again, well, he had a shot which is what we're going to have to get excited about here.

See, this is Howard Wilkinson all over. He's a very knowledgeable man when it comes to football, but I'll forever remember him as the 15-point manager and not having a clue what to do with our team. But in terms of this, he's obviously been spot on - whether England are willing to open their eyes and see this or continue on the same path we're on, then we can only wait and see but it's quite obvious Germany have talent from the grass roots to the other end.

Even Uzbekistan are doing it. They've invested in masses of youth facilities over the country, and they had a team in the Under 17 final and are making a real purpose of improving at football - and to be honest I think they'll do it. They really are doing a great job, and it's down to investment in the youth facilities which is paying off so well. When we realise this, then maybe we can get excited, and when we do make the correct investment, maybe my love of the England senior team will return.

In general regards to the Under 17 tournament. Anyone seen Souleymane Coulibaly play for Ivory Coast? He scored 9 goals in 4 games and was probably the player of the tournament despite not even making the quarter finals. Already dubbed 'the new Drogba' and already being linked with the big boys at aged 16. He's currently at Siena in Serie A, and if he has any sense he'll stay there and develop for a few years before making the jump to the big time. Mind you, this is only under 17 level lets not forget and his 9 goal haul is a record shared with a person whose a good advertisement for not necessarily living up to the early doors hype: Florent Sinama Pongolle.

Thing is this has been the worst under-21 tournament for a while, the two preceding that haven't been too bad in terms of England performance. I was trying to work it out and I can't really imagine its down to any 'crop' of golden players - as there haven't been any really. Except the seemingly 10 year long period Milner played for them. But I wouldn't say it's much worse now than it was then, yet we came out and played exactly like the senior side in this tournament it was uncanny. The 0-0 against Ukraine particularly worrying, even if the Ukraine side was better than what we'd expect.

Still, with or without him I don't think we'd have had much success this tournament. He made some apt comments following the U21 tournament though, about how it's ingrained in our mentality to play a certain way and expect a certain offering. Shown in all the post match comments to - always about heart, determination and passion and never about technical ability or tactical knowledge.

Still, he gets another shot in two years time and we hope for more success. If he fails badly - and unfortunately the U21 isn't as much about development anymore given the standard of players involved - then maybe we move on to a new manager. Interesting question though - given there's no decision on the main job - but who would be in the running for the U21 job do you reckon? Would be interesting to hear some names thrown around.

The Football Association can confirm that England Senior Team General Manager Franco Baldini will join Italian Serie A Club AS Roma immediately after the qualification programme for Euro 2012 is concluded in the Autumn.

It is important to make clear that Franco will continue in his current role on a full-time basis until either October or November 2011, depending on England's progress in their qualifying group. He will not commence his work with Roma until after this time.

Franco has taken this decision with the full agreement of England Manager Fabio Capello. At this time, it is still to be decided if Franco will return to work with Fabio and the England team for their February friendly and the European Championships (subject to qualification).

Capello said: “Franco has been given a good opportunity by Roma, but I am happy he will stay with me and the England team until after the qualification programme. For me this is very important. We can decide after this if Franco will be with us for the European Championships.”

FA Chairman David Bernstein added: “We respect his decision to accept the offer from Roma. I would like to thank Franco for the professional way in which he has handled this and maintained his sole commitment to working with Fabio and the team until after the qualifying games.”

• 2 weeks later...

R  Team         Pts     +/- R  +/- Pts

1  Spain	1588	 0 =	-283

2  Netherlands	1542	 0 =	-119

3  Germany	1305	 0 =	-112

4  Brazil	1202	 1 ▲	  72

5  Uruguay	1156	13 ▲	 247

6  England	1146	-2 ▼	   0

7  Portugal	1076	 0 =	  30

8  Italy	1059	-2 ▼	   0

9  Croatia	1033	-1 ▼	   0

10 Argentina	1013	 0 =	  34

11 Chile	973	16 ▲	 191

12 Norway	972	-1 ▼	   0

13 Greece	959	-1 ▼	   0

14 Ivory Coast	922	 0 =	   0

15 France	920	 0 =	   0

16 Japan	918	-3 ▼	  -7

17 Montenegro	915	-1 ▼	   0

18 Russia	914	-1 ▼	   0

19 Sweden	884	 0 =	   0

20 Mexico	869    -11 ▼	-138

England down 2 places as expected in the new rankings, Uruguay are big movers up 13 places to fifth after their Copa America win.

It seems when the World Cup qualifying draw is made this weekend that France will not be amongst the top seeds, only the top 9 Euro teams will be seeds which according to the rankings are Spain, Holland, Germany, England, Portugal, Italy, Croatia, Norway and Greece. So that means France will be in a group with one of those 9 and I hope we're not the unlucky ones.

Because they drew 0-0 with the home of football and all round amazingly bestest international team in the world ever?

Also have they announced if Wales or Faroe Islands will be in Pot 9? Apparently Faroe Islands are like .2 ahead of Wales but FIFA don't recognise decimals and it could mean Wales will go into Pot 8 again.