The England thread

• Admin

Peter Crouch has quit England duty?

Sir Trevor Brooking cannot understand why a growing number of players are turning their backs on England.

Tottenham's Peter Crouch is reported to have said he will not play for England again while Fabio Capello is manager.

Manchester United's Wes Brown and Blackburn's Paul Robinson, both 31, retired this season, while Birmingham keeper Ben Foster is on a sabbatical.

"No matter what people think about individuals, you turn up regardless," said Brooking, who won 47 England caps.

"It is about playing for your country. I would have turned up if I was number 23 in the squad."

Target man Crouch has started only five games during Capello's 37-match reign and did not make the bench for Saturday's Euro 2012 qualifier against Switzerland, which ended in a 2-2 draw, despite England being reduced to three fit strikers.

The 30-year-old, who made his England debut in 2005 and has scored 22 goals in 42 international appearances, was reported to be feeling humiliated after being left out of the side.

But while Brooking, the Football Association's director of football development, was reluctant to write Crouch off, he was critical of those who have chosen their clubs over country.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek, Brooking, perhaps referring to Spurs winger David Bentley, who rejected the chance to play for England in the 2007 European Under-21 Championships, continued: "We had one or two issues with age group teams.

"There appears to be a reluctance with one or two youngsters to get that tournament experience.

"I come from a generation where I couldn't even contemplate such a thing. I find it amazing.

"There are great rewards out there. You can become a multi-millionaire as a club player without playing international football.

"But international football is about individual pride and wanting to perform at the highest level.

"If I got picked at 41, I would have played, even if I thought I would make a fool of myself. I just wanted to play for my country."

I'm not saying he isn't quality, but the fact remains he's the wrong side of 30 with another year before a major tournament. Considering he's never been a nailed on starter anyway he's exactly the kind of player who'll be phased out (by England, and likely Spurs sooner rather than later) in the near future. Crouchy's just beaten them to it, with some additional sour grapes based on Capello not being too popular anyway to stir the pot a little.

If I wanted to be cynical I'd have called him a one dimensional beanpole target man, but that would've been stupid.

My mate put £100 on England to win when 2-1 down at half time. Needless to say when Bent skied it from about 7 yards I had a little chuckle. Turned up to the pub for the second half and thought for ages it was a friendly match, such is the disillusionment with England these days.

Ah well. I like some of Switzerland's players though, Barnetta, Derdiyok etc.

• Admin

More on the Crouch story:

Peter Crouch has admitted he considered quitting international football but wants to play on for England.

The striker has scored 22 goals in 42 games for his country but is seemingly out of favour with boss Fabio Capello.

Crouch, 30, failed to make the bench for Saturday's 2-2 draw against Switzerland in Euro 2012 qualifying.

"I'm not going to lie, I was extremely frustrated, but it's one of those things and you move on," the Tottenham star told BBC Sport's Dan Roan.

"I feel that whenever I've played for England, I've done well, so I felt maybe I've been slightly unfairly treated.

"Playing for England is the pinnacle of any [English] player's career and I absolutely love doing it. If I get a minute on the pitch [for England], that's great, if I get 90 that's a lot better.

"I was disappointed, but I've got a long summer now to think about things and hopefully come back with a new attitude."

He added: "Do I want to carry on playing for England? Yeah, of course. I would never give up playing for my country at any stage. It's an honour."

Crouch's only international start since May 2010 was in the Euro 2012 qualifier with Montenegro at Wembley in October.

That match finished goalless, and since then he has been restricted to a substitute's appearance in the November friendly against France in which he scored.

Crouch has not featured at all in England's last three games against Wales, Ghana and the Swiss.

He was in the squad to face Switzerland, but Capello opted to have Fulham's Bobby Zamora on the bench at Wembley.

Crouch added: "It's up to the manager who he picks, of course, but I won't be hanging up my boots."

• 3 weeks later...
England U17 side undone by freak goal as Canada's goalkeeper rescues point

A freakish late equaliser scored by Canada's goalkeeper from inside his own half denied England the win that would have sealed their progress to the knock-out stages of the Under 17 World Cup in Mexico.

With the Young Lions leading 2-1 in the 87th minute, Quillan Roberts brought the ball out of his penalty area and hit a hopeful punt from 15 yards inside the half. The ball bounced in England's box and looped over goalkeeper Jordan Pickford.

The goal gave Canada their first point of the tournament and means England must at least draw their final Group C match with Uruguay on Saturday to guarantee a place in the last 16.

Liverpool's Adam Morgan opened the scoring in the 46th minute with a glancing header before Sadi Jalali levelled four minutes later.

A cracking long-distance shot from West Ham's Blair Turgott put John Peacock's side back in front with 13 minutes to play before Roberts struck.

'This game will teach the boys something about playing to the final whistle and never thinking the game is over,' England coach John Peacock said.

'Overall I think we were better than Canada today, but I have to respect the way they fought for everything.'

'This a great day for Canada's football. We're really happy with the result,' Canadian coach Sean Fleming said.

'We knew England was a great side. We bent, but we didn't break In this game. Football is a funny game and we got a good bounce today after not getting the bounces in our first game.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AgDV-GD9l0

Ahh only England....

We were absolutely battering them too but both times we took the lead they equalised immediately it seemed, shame but at this level it's all about development. We had some decent looking players in the team (and some hilarious looking ones [check U21 topic for pic :P]), I quite liked Lundstram of Everton in the centre. Crewe's striker looked decent too, Powell. Will be interesting to see how many players are in the U21's in years to come and go on to have good senior careers.

• Admin

Fear of failure undermines England, says Jamie Carragher

I actually listened to the programme tonight. Really interesting stuff but a lot of "in hindsight, we should have...", which doesn't really help, does it now. Still, its worth a listen if you have the time.

Plans to appoint two independent members to the Football Association board have moved a step nearer after the FA Council approved the proposal.

The 111-strong council backed the plans which were suggested as part of a reform programme by FA chairman David Bernstein.

Bernstein said: "I am very pleased with this decision by the board and council.

"It represents an important step in developing stronger governance within the FA."

The FA board has also approved the plans, and the final decision on the proposal will be taken when the FA's shareholders convene for an extraordinary general meeting in August.

The idea to bring in independent directors was first mooted in 2005 by Lord Burns' review of the organisation, but it only began to gain momentum when Bernstein was appointed earlier this year.

There has also been significant pressure from the government for change within the FA, with sports minister Hugh Robertson branding football as "without a doubt, the worst governed sport in the country".

Bernstein, who described the plans as "controversial" when he wrote to FA Council members in February, is now just one step away from being able to implement them.

Robertson is confident the addition of independent board members will help improve the way football is run.

He said: "I am delighted that the FA council and board have approved the principle of appointing two non-executive directors to the FA board.

"I believe this will improve the governance of the organisation and I am pleased that the FA is looking at such positive and proactive moves ahead of the Select Committee report on football governance."

England up to fourth in the Fifa World Rankings, one place above Brazil. Spain remain top with Holland second and Germany third. Mexico up 19 places to ninth after their successful Gold Cup whilst Argentina drop to tenth. This will obviously all change again once the Copa America is all said and done, but good news for England for now (Y)

We've had a pretty good record over the last few years if you think about it, despite some of the performances on the pitch. I think we've only lost like 4 or 5 games in 3 years and the majority of them where against tops teams like Germany, Brazil and Spain.

The rankings are stu[id anyway and really aren't a reflection on who's the better team.

England won one game at last year's World Cup and didn't qualify for Euro 2008 but are still apparently 4th in the world?

Greee and Norway being in the top 12 nations in the world despite not making it to the World Cup is beyond ridiculous too, the system is flawed.