General Television Thread

Hellfire

Guest mr. potato head

Just started watching The Wire last night. Watched the first two episodes and thought it was kinda boring, but I don't wanna stop watching it at the same time.

I was almost certain the black guy (Lt. Cedric something) was the CIA head guy from Homeland (but bulked up/chubbier) but its not!

I also thought I saw Rusty from LA Noire, but it's not him :(

Though the now-dead black sniper guy from Homeland turning up in The Newsroom was a bit surreal.

Is he the guy who hates Obama? I knew I recognized that guy!

And my love for The Newsroom continues. Episode 2 was so good.

I'm actually quite jealous that you're able to enjoy it so much and I'm not. And you've got Dan Rather on your side too.

(Though, really, a major cable news anchor walking down a busy NYC street and not once getting stopped or recognized?)

General thoughts on The Wire, season 4. Spoilers for up to episode 11!

I love how scheming and conniving Prop Joe is. Pitting Marlo and Omar against each other, selling Old-Face Andre out to Marlo, Slim Charles telling Bodie about Little Kevin, all that shit. Wonderful. Omar continues to be awesome too -- especially when he was in lock-up and they made that vest out of thick phone directories and tape. And when he stabbed that guy that was trying to kill him? Badass. Thinking Omar's time is limited with him getting mixed up with Marlo, as ruthless as he and his crew are. :(

Also really digging all the stuff with the kids, Prez, and Bunny Colvin. Is Randy related to Cheese? I get the feeling something bad's going to happen to Randy. :/ Michael getting Snoop & Chris to kill his mom's boyfriend is interesting. Loved Snoop's reaction to that too.

Bit weird seeing McNulty as a sober beat cop, and not in every episode.

2 more episodes to go and then it's on to the last season!

Was that Major Dad?

From Wiki:

A pilot episode for an American remake called The Rear Guard was produced by ABC and broadcast on 10 August 1976, based on the episode "The Deadly Attachment". However, it failed to make it past the pilot stage—probably due to the fact there was never a realistic chance of a German invasion of the United States, unlike Britain.

So instead of using my time and working on my bachelor thesis for university, I'm obviously watching TV.

I've watched the Veronica Mars pilot and, needless to say, it was fantastic. I'm going to buy the box-set as soon as the price drops back down and will marathon this show.

Meanwhile, while waiting on Veronica Mars, I finally started watching Treme. Only watched the pilot so far - I went in with pretty high expectations considering that it's made by David Simon, the genius behind The Wire and Generation Kill, and they were fucking met. Amazing pilot, amazing setting, amazing cast, amazing show so far.

• Like 1

Louie was awesome last night. Such a great show.

Indeed it was.

I love the way he just lulled you into a sense that this will be a very normal, low-key episode, and at the end just unleashed some crazy shit.

I would love more EWBers watching Treme. I don't think it's an incredible show in the way, say, The Wire is, but it's a good show and the fact that it's never even cracked the year end TV list is sad.

Never heard of Treme but I'm always up for new tv shows to watch (After Firefly and my Dexter/Breaking Bad re-runs are over). I understand it's about rebuilding after Katrina, but what else is it about? What type of viewer does it attract?

Been watching through the Sopranos. Almost at the end, which is a shame. There's been tons of great exchanges. Chris is a great character, and Michael Imperioli is great in the role.

From season 6 episode 5:

TONY: John just asked me to do this specifically.

CHRIS: So it's like the movie, then.

T: What movie?

C: The one. That you can't refuse a man's request on his daughter's wedding day.

T: No, it's the other way around. That I should be asking him for something he can't refuse.

C: So did you?

T: No.

C: You shoulda asked not to do this.

Just the way he says the last line is gold.

Never heard of Treme but I'm always up for new tv shows to watch (After Firefly and my Dexter/Breaking Bad re-runs are over). I understand it's about rebuilding after Katrina, but what else is it about? What type of viewer does it attract?

It's kind of hard to explain. It mostly focuses on the Treme neighbourhood of New Orleans and, like you said, it's about the ensemble of characters trying to rebuild their lives 3 months after Hurricane Katrina. Maybe GoGo can explain it better.

I would love more EWBers watching Treme. I don't think it's an incredible show in the way, say, The Wire is, but it's a good show and the fact that it's never even cracked the year end TV list is sad.

This year everything will change. Although I already know how hard picking my ballot is going to be this year.

First series of Community has just appeared on demand on Virgin, worth watching?

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

• Like 3