General Television Thread

Hellfire

And in new show pick-up news, "Gotham" is set to be a show at FOX:

Gotham City is coming to the small screen! Deadline is reporting that Fox has made a series commitment to "Gotham," a new live-action show that will follow the adventures of a young Detective James Gordon. The series hails from "The Mentalist" creator Bruno Heller.

First appearing in "Detective Comics" #27 (the 1939 comic that also debuted Batman), Commissioner James Gordon is the creation of Bill Finger and Bob Kane. He was previously played on the 1960's "Batman" television show by Neil Hamilton. Gary Oldman most recently portrayed the character in Christopher Nolan's big screen trilogy.

While Gordon's adventures may make use of familiar Batman villains, the Dark Knight himself is not planned to be a part of the series.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=109380

Ugh. I'm not sure on this one. The scope of the Marvel Universe that you can explore with SHIELD allows for a lot more freedom, as the entire Marvel back catalog is open to you to draw from. But doing a Batman show, without Batman, that can only really feature characters from Batmans rouges gallery (that'll probably be limited by how realistic they go and if the films want them)...

I dunno. It seems like more of DC doing things to try and play catch up rather than because it's a good idea.

I kind of like the idea, but I'm not sure how it would work without Batman. I can't see Gotham PD being able to handle super villains without Bats, and that leads me to believe the majority of villains will be the Rupert Thorne crime boss type, and that just makes it a regular cop show. It'd be better to have Batman as a minor character, seen through the eyes of Gordon and the department, although with Affleck and the new movie, I understand why Batman won't be featured.

I don't know. It could be decent depending on who gets the Gordon role.

Nah, I'm sure they'll have some "super"-ish villains. It's kind of naive to think that they all showed up only when Batman showed up. I mean what's so super about the Joker or the Penguin anyway? Not saying that they'll be a part of it, but I can see some similar-level villains coming up.

Oh, so I tried to watch Mom last night because I have a soft spot for Anna Faris and I want to try and give a handful of new shows a chance. I think there's a good sitcom in there but it's being drowned out by some of the worst laugh track mixing I've ever heard. It's just relentless and totally drowns out the rhythm of the scenes.

Tonight, Agents of SHIELD and Trophy Wife. The next couple days, WHO KNOWS.

Didn't you learn anything last week?

"The guy who thought Dads was good didn't like this show so that tells me absolutely nothing about this show's quality."

• Like 6

DC trailing behind Marvel and with a less interesting concept as usual, I see. Shame, if they set it modern day they could have it be multi-character centric and focus on Nightwing in Bludhaven, move Gordon over there, have loads of the Bat-family introduced. As it is, it just sounds like a distinctly mediocre cop show.

The New Girl is great, love it. Winston, man. Fucking Winston.

As a matter of fact, I like it so much, I'll call it by its real name: New Girl.

And if that didn't convince you to watch it gogo the latest episode features Dreama Walker being fantastic! And she's a red head now and it's even more adorable. Also Angela from The Office! And Eva Amurri Martino! (...or, as I knew her before looking up on IMDB, the stripper student of Hank's from Californication season 3!)

• Like 1

Yeah, it's supposed to get a looooot better down the line.

Yeah, JHS, at bare minimum you basically have to watch the last four episodes of the season because there's no way season two isn't going to be addressing that arc. Most of the episodes during the last ten are good, though. If you want to save time I'd just watch "Details," "Snow Angels" (because it's super great), and then "A Landmark Story" through "Heroine."

• Like 1