General Television Thread

Hellfire

No, the Emmys is still the Emmys. It does insane, stupid shit like this all the time. Fucking Jon Cryer won Best Lead Actor in a Comedy last year.

I guess I have to give credit for Modern Family's reign of terror coming to an end, though (yay Tony Hale), and Anna Gunn getting her richly deserved Best Supporting Actress nod.

Jon Hamm is never getting his Emmy for Mad Men, though. Never ever ever. They'll give him some bullshit consolation one years from now for a TV movie or sometihng.

• Like 1

With how good Parks & Rec was last season and the fact that Amy Poehler got the lone nomination just makes me not take them too seriously. Like, Mad Men has never won a single acting Emmy yet every male that has ever appeared on Modern Family has like 3? Something needs to change there.

In the US there hasn't been a normal Apprentice in years. There's been like six Celebrity Apprentice seasons, with the last one being an "all star" season that was even more shameless than usual.

The last normal Apprentice was about 3 years ago. The ratings tanked so bad they went right back to celebs. I'll admit that show was a guilty pleasure of mine for a while.

With how good Parks & Rec was last season and the fact that Amy Poehler got the lone nomination just makes me not take them too seriously. Like, Mad Men has never won a single acting Emmy yet every male that has ever appeared on Modern Family has like 3? Something needs to change there.

Amy Poehler didn't really deserve it this year, and Parks and Rec wasn't that good. I wouldn't have objected to Poehler or Fey winning but Julia Louis-Dreyfus was actually better than either this year so it was deserved this year whereas last year it wasn't as much.

Mad Men continually being snubbed for acting is indeed completely insane. At this point the show's been around so long that it's starting to lose awards it should win to flavor of the year nominees (see: Christina Hendricks losing Best Supporting Actress to Maggie Smith).

The Emmy's (and every other freaking award show) have a history of overlooking shows when they are in their prime and rewarding them later. Modern Family just happens to be one of the most popular shows on television and one of the more liked (not loved) shows and is the exception to the rule. I think people would describe Modern Family as popular, inoffensive and fluff, and right now that beats giving the nod to more popular shows that are disdained (2 and Half Men/Big Bang) or the shows that rightfully deserve to win but have much smaller fanbases (Louis and Girls). And there is also the obvious, that Louis and Girls are the complete opposite of inoffensive and fluffy, and therefore it's easier to overlook.

Even as a fan of The Newsroom, Jeff Daniels winning is a huge WTF. Echoing what GoGo said, I'm convinced Jon Hamm will never win. If he didn't win for his work in this past season's finale then I can't see him winning it at all. He could get the Kyle Chandler treatment in its last year of eligibility but I'm not sure that'll actually happen.

To be honest, I've known not to give a shit about the comedy races for a long time as that's usually been where the Emmys just go for popularity as opposed to quality.

Finished Season 2 of The Last Airbender...

... god I adore Zuko. He's such a wonderfully complex character, and is real star of the show in my estimation. You weren't wrong about Ba Sing Se, Goggles, that entire section was amazing, and really reminded me of the Rohan stuff from LOTR. Heck, the entire thing is like a westerner's take on an eastern version of Lord of the Rings. Fantastic show, really looking forward to going into season three.

• Like 1

I'm steering away, yeah. If reviews get better down the line maybe but I've got too many shows I'm watching to add on another procedural when I've already got a genuinely good one in Elementary coming back this Thursday.

Basically I'm at the point now where I'm starting to make proper decisions on what shows I'm ditching. Revolution is one since I'm eight episodes behind, one of the only characters I liked died during that stretch apparently, and it's on in the same timeslot as Survivor and Arrow so I can't DVR it anymore anyway.

Yeah, TKz's posts reflect my opinion, as well. Definitely looking forward to checking out Almost Human but The Blacklist is too obvious a procedural so I'm staying away until I hear it's worth getting into ala Elementary last year.