General Television Thread

Hellfire

So I was the only person in the world that was watching the Masters of Sex pilot on YouTube while the Breaking Bad finale was on, but damn, I really enjoyed it. It is funny because I would watch anyway for Lizzy Caplan, because she's generally awesome. Thankfully, though, they made her a fantastic character in the two eps I've seen so far. Michael Sheen is also fantastic, if a bit too broad as the lead. But yeah, now that Breaking Bad is over, I'm curious if people check this out. I'm more curious if it doesn't turn into another Showtime show with diminishing returns, though.

Slowly working through Battlestar Galactica. I think my problem with the show is that there's a lot of stuff I like marred by how flat I think a solid chunk of the characters are. It's particularly bad now because it's a string of Lee Adama-heavy episodes and he has a face I want to punch.

Totally with you. The show itself is good, but the characters are just so blah that it's difficult to get behind them.

There are some characters who are amazing: Romo when you get to that point, Gaeta and his arc, ditto that for Baltar, and the stuff between Kara and Leoben, but for the most part when the show tries to get too invested in it's characters it leaves you feeling dry. There are certainly exceptions though, but for the most part its a plot driven show.

I'm considering doing again. For reference,

If I do it again, it will be with some slight modifications:

- I'll leave Arrested Development out of the running and declare it EWB's first entry into its TV Hall of Fame, due to winning the first one and trying to keep things fresh.

- People won't be forced to vote on every single match-up just so they can have their other votes counted. That was just me trying to make sure the voting numbers were high enough, but it may not have been necessary and seemed to rub a few people the wrong way.

Any thoughts on this happening again? Any modifications you might want to see? No guarantees, but it seemed worth asking.

I'm still not over The Shield and ER going out in the first round there.

Also, you should totally do it again, just to see if Community will make it even near as far as it did again.

• Like 1

Dexter for the win.

I was so scared that was going to happen last time. I'm not scared this time.

I think theming the four groups would help. Instead of 4 groups of 16 random shows, do something like Comedy, Drama, Classics, British. It's not fair that amazing British show I've never heard of loses to 2 Broke Girls or something because more people are aware of it. Although removing forced votes might help.

• Like 1

The only problem I forsee with pre-determined categories is that there may be 20 American comedies that get enough points to be in while only 11 dramas qualify or somesuch. And I really don't have any issue with inter-genre competition, even in the first round.

Man, the title sequence of The Borgias is awesome.

Just watched the first two episodes of Masters of Sex. I think I'll like this show, Lizzie Caplan is wonderful in it, and Martin Sheen is really doing a good job as the douchy, egotistical doctor. Really not interested in the prostitute storyline, though, hope that ends early.

Edited by Extremely Huge Bag of Shit

I've been going through Friday Night Lights since last week and this series is awesome. It feels so close to you, even when I don't relate to the sport.

I think Friday Night Lights balances that personal story and sports story area very well. You don't have to know anything about the sport to enjoy the show because it keeps things very simple in terms of games, and even that is pretty much just a background to the actual stories. Just know that when you get to season two it does hit a rough patch, but work through it, because it does get better again.

Man, the title sequence of The Borgias is awesome.

Just watched the first two episodes of Masters of Sex. I think I'll like this show, Lizzie Caplan is wonderful in it, and Martin Sheen is really doing a good job as the douchy, egotistical doctor. Really not interested in the prostitute storyline, though, hope that ends early.

LOL

• Like 1