General Television Thread

Hellfire

7 hours ago, Owen said:

Started watching Goodnight Sweetheart. Currently on series 2, episode 2. It's eh. It's alright, it's a fun concept, but I feel like it hasn't lived up to its potential as of yet, and to be honest, it's not particularly funny, either.

I used to love that when I was a kid. Can't remember anything about it now though bar an episode where he was running around with Churchill and/or Clement Atlee.

16 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

I used to love that when I was a kid. Can't remember anything about it now though bar an episode where he was running around with Churchill and/or Clement Atlee.

Yeah, they both appear in the show, as far as I know, so that sounds about right. I haven't got to that point yet, though. Halfway through series 3, and it still sorta feels like nothing's happened and I know both Phoebe and Yvonne get recast after this series.

I like the atmospheres and the worlds it's created, I think, but I dunno. Not the funniest show? But I like the world of it all.

9 hours ago, Owen said:

Started watching Goodnight Sweetheart. Currently on series 2, episode 2. It's eh. It's alright, it's a fun concept, but I feel like it hasn't lived up to its potential as of yet, and to be honest, it's not particularly funny, either.

The Goodnight Sweetcast podcast made by the wikishuffle guys was really good, but they stopped making it after like one season

2 hours ago, Owen said:

Also half of the show's comedy is "WOW HEY EVERYONE HE'S CLAIMING HE WROTE THIS SONG!! BUT HE DIDN'T!! HE DIDN'T REALLY!!" which gets pretty tiresome quick.

Christ. I'd convinced myself I'd only half ripped off Back to the Future 2 with my high concept "mediocre indie band (say the Courteeners) go back in time and record all the 20th Century's biggest hits" potential screenplay. Turns out I was ripping off Goodnight Sweetheart. Obviously. 

• Like 2

Me: "Hey, I've got some food here, you know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna watch the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend season finale. That seems like a good idea!"

Me, after the first song in the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend season finale: "I've made a huge mistake."

My favourite thing about Goodnight Sweetheart is that someone walked into a boardroom and pitched, "Nicholas Lyndhurst, Time-Travelling Bigamist?", and someone said "yes".

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Skummy said:

My favourite thing about Goodnight Sweetheart is that someone walked into a boardroom and pitched, "Nicholas Lyndhurst, Time-Travelling Bigamist?", and someone said "yes".

Yeah, that's another point. The guy's a shitbird, definitely... but why Nicholas Lyndhurst? He's not particularly awful in the role or anything, it just seems like such an odd casting choice.

Also, Gary Sparrow must be a bastard for his family when they try and make a family tree.

EDIT: Just got to season 4. Time for the new wives!!

Can't have a conversation about Goodnight Sweetheart without mentioning Richard Herring's ongoing obsession with it. There's 3 years between these, and he still wangs on about it on his podcast. 

http://metro.co.uk/2013/04/05/richard-herring-2-3583542/

http://richardherring.com/warmingup/2/9/2016/index.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colly said:

Can't have a conversation about Goodnight Sweetheart without mentioning Richard Herring's ongoing obsession with it. There's 3 years between these, and he still wangs on about it on his podcast. 

http://metro.co.uk/2013/04/05/richard-herring-2-3583542/

http://richardherring.com/warmingup/2/9/2016/index.html

I did actually notice an article from him while I was looking something up. He brings up a lot of very valid points. There's a hell of a lot more they could've done with the show that they just avoided entirely.

The one with his nephew running into the 1940s was a particularly interesting one in terms of that. There's never been any indication of anyone else's ability to travel through the portal (Ron was unable to in the first series), so it doesn't really make sense as to why his nephew could, but again, they fail to go anywhere  further with that as of yet.

I like new Yvonne, but old Yvonne was good too. New Phoebe is eh. Old Phoebe was better.

There may as well be a Goodnight Sweetheart thread for my ramblings but for fucks sake.

Season 4, episode 8 spoilers (I know it's a 20 year old show but just being safe, if I've somehow made someone else want to watch the show :P

Spoiler

The end of this episode is like 'oh wow, they're actually doing something new!' when he wakes up on a plane above the English Channel during the war. But then, oh, never mind, it's over in 5 minutes. Oh. Disappointing!!

Season 5, episode 3 spoilers

Spoiler

...So it's just Ron that can't travel through the portal? Consistency, people!! Consistency!!

Okay, Phoebe getting into 1996 is a decent scene. Pretty funny. Actually something that's happening.

OH. So Ron can travel through the portal now? Why couldn't he do it in series 1?

Season 5, episode 8? spoilers

Spoiler

Rolf Harris cameo. Jeez. It was bad, and unnecessary. Unnecessary cameos are awful. Reminded me of Ed Sheeran's in Game of Thrones.

Season 6, episode 1

Spoiler

Season 6 is dumb so far. I know the concept isn't exactly realistic to begin with, but evil clones??? Really???

Season 6, episode 5

Spoiler

Okay. Right. So, he was in 1945. Went through the portal, ended up in 1880s instead. He goes back through the portal later, and is back in 1999. How does that work? If the standard portal that he goes through to get to 1945 is in 1999, how did going through the portal from 1945 take him to the 1880s? And if that works, how would the portal from the 1880s go directly into the back of his shop, when the exit into 1880s and 1945 both go out into the same place?

Gave "Hold The Sunset" a chance because John Cleese. Was shit. When your opening salvos are "dogs shouldn't poop on trees" and "oh the recycling bins are different colours, how whacky", you should probably question whether you're writing a TV comedy, or a complaint to your local council.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lars Kuyt said:

Any upcoming tv shows I need to keep an eye on?

I will continue to suggest Stan Against Evil to people as I assume not many will have seen it. 2 series in, it has John C McGinley (Dr Cox from Scrubs) and Janet Varney (the voice of Korra from Avatar), and is a fun and silly way to waste 20 mins at a time.

• Like 1