EA Sports MMA

IDOL

Hopefully quite a bit, not only in graphics, but gameplay, technique, and game modes. The trailer, well, it was a trailer. Can't say it made me want to go out and buy the game, but it I don't think it will be any better or any worse than Undisputed. I just hope we don't see a repeat of past MMA games where everything looks the same in games and after playing them for a while, they become obsolete.

• 10 months later...

Demo is out. Calling this competetion for the UFC game would be near on ridiculous, because it's not even close to being as good. Granted I've only played a few games, but it feels way too arcadey and over the top quick in parts.

First fight I got destroyed by Lashley, which consisted of him doing nothing but taking me down. Really don't like the way their stamina bar works. The only real plus I've seen is they've got entrances in. Other than that, I cant see this ever growing on me. I'll give it a few more plays as always, but I really cant see myself bothering to buy this.

• Like 1

Totally disagree with you JohnnyPerfect, I feel that the demo is a very enjoyable and more realistic interpretation of MMA than the UFC game. The controls are very simple to learn and overall the game is very fun to play once you figure it out. I cannot wait for the game to come out.

Demo is out. Calling this competetion for the UFC game would be near on ridiculous, because it's not even close to being as good. Granted I've only played a few games, but it feels way too arcadey and over the top quick in parts.

First fight I got destroyed by Lashley, which consisted of him doing nothing but taking me down. Really don't like the way their stamina bar works. The only real plus I've seen is they've got entrances in. Other than that, I cant see this ever growing on me. I'll give it a few more plays as always, but I really cant see myself bothering to buy this.

Welcome to Modern Day MMA. If the game's like that then I'd say it's really realistic.

The crowd sound and presentation blow pretty bad.

The announcer was glitchy as fuck, the crowd didn't get excited in the slightest throughout the fight and I hadn't actually realised the fight was over until another screen popped up.

Doesn't feel too different from UFC, but I'd expect more from EA in the presentation elements of a game like this.

Welcome to Modern Day MMA. If the game's like that then I'd say it's really realistic.

No, that's not realistic at all. It consisted of him taking me down. I get back up and within the space of about 0.00001 seconds, he's taking me back down. This doesn't happen once, this happens about nine times in the fight in quick succession. Of course Lashley will go for take downs, but he didn't even get a feel for it on his feet, he didn't even move around. The crazy thing was when he charged across the cage like a fucking bull head first and took me down.

It just feels more like a beat 'em up style game to me, which is without a doubt what I don't want with an MMA game. Some people will love it, some people will hate it. Personally it just doesn't feel right. Sure it's their first attempt, but UFC was pretty damn great with their first attempt with a game that actually felt much better in just about every department of the gameplay.

It's bugged to shit, twice I've paused a fight to go into controls and the games got stuck switching between screens.

Graphics wise, it's awful, it's high-end PS1 era with horrible jaggy edges on everything and blocky characters and the presentation is abhorrent.

As for gameplay, I can understand the decision to go for a more arcadey style of fighting as a contrast to the UFC game, but everything has just been implemented so poorly it's just not working. I'll give it another go tonight (and won't DARE to go into the controls screen in a fight incase that proves too much for the demo again...) and maybe it'll grow on me.

I didn't like it at first, because I couldn't get use to the total control striking, but then I discovered you can turn the controls on classic, and now I love it. Of course, I'll need a full version to say its 100% better than UFC, but I'll definitely pick this up for sure

I totally agree with switching the controls to classic, I just did and had more fun with the game, but it's still a VERY average beat-em-up with god-awful presentation and graphics.

One to buy from the bargain bin, me thinks.

Is there a step worse than Bargain Bin? Seriously the system for the punches and kicks is good that's about the only thing really do not like this demo. It's just spamming A, X, Y and B for takedowns, takedown defence, transitions its pretty stupid.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I rented it from Blockbuster the first day it came out (and snagged their online pass too!). The career mode is great, and once you get past being all pissy that the controls aren't the same as UFC - it really is a great game for being EA's first attempt at an MMA one.

• Like 1

This game has UFC Undisputed beat when it comes to exciting back and forth fights. It is not uncommon to be taking a real beating throughout the fight and close to being knocked out or submitted on many occasions only to be able to come back in the final round and pull off a shocking knockout or sub. I find the submission and ground system much more fun than on the UFC games.

The wealth of decent creations you can download is a great feature also, I've already downloaded really good looking versions of Brock Lesnar, Batista, Chris Leben etc

I'm not saying this is a perfect game and I really enjoyed the UFC games, but I feel EA MMA has UFC beat in some important areas.

• Like 1

They have the UFC control scheme, too, if you already mastered that. I find wrestling is much easier with the default settings, but striking is hit or miss. I much prefer striking to be the A, B, X and Y buttons, but I'm getting the hang of the EA controls.

Still can't figure out submissions. Well, I can when it's just tapping B to get your stamina at a controlled level, but when it's that big circle mini-game, I'm lost. I did manage to survive a last minute submission in the Pride rules set-up to close out the first 10 minute round, though, which was pretty cool. Came back in the second (5 minutes) to KO the guy with a head kick on the ground. I don't think I can go back to the UFC game, tbh.

I was kind of disappointed that there weren't as many legends to play with, but its still a pretty fun roster. Guys like Don Frye, Dan Severn, and Tank Abbott would have been lots of fun to toy around with though. Create a Fighter has lots of depth when it comes to clothing, especially the shirts and sponsors. You can also have Lunatic Fringe as an entrance song, so that in and of itself is pretty badass.

• Like 1