EWB's Top 50 Villains

Draevyn

1. The Joker (The Dark Knight)

2. Darth Vader (Star Wars)

3. Angelus (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

4. Keyser Soze (The Usual Suspects)

5. Freddie Kreuger (Nightmare on Elms Street)

6. Jigsaw (Saw)

7. Anton Chigurh (No Country For Old Men)

8. The Reaper (Criminal Minds)

9. Magneto (X-Men)

10. Sylar (Heroes)

EDIT: I forgot Anton. Such an awesome villian.

this is what I said in response to Rich asking me that.

I loved The Mayor, but, and keep in mind I've been deciding on my favourite Buffy villain since the series ended (So this is like 6 years) and I always come back to Angelus. Here's why...

Series 1 of Buffy see's us introduced to the title girl, we see her form friendships and make enemies and most importantly off all, it sets the base for her doomed relationship with Angel. Now from the second they kiss, you know something bad is going to go down in the future, but obviously Buffster doesn't care. Through Series 1 she falls more and more for him and he becomes an integral part of not just the group, but her. She's stronger because she has him by her side, he's the second strongest scooby and he's always there to help in a jam.

Series 2, Boxset 1 (>_> What? I'm still on VHS.) Angel becomes an even bigger influence in her life, tied in with his relationship with Spike and Dru which strains Buffys trust of him somewhat, but the two of them come together to kick their collective asses for most of the time and they get even closer. By this point, Angel is Buffys first thought in a crisis. He's become a central part of the way she works, the way she thinks. If things go to shit, he'll always be there. He's her rock, he keeps her grounded, she can get through anything so long as she has him.

THEN BOOM. Motherfucker turns bad. And we're not just talking kinda mean, Angelus is a beast. The way he toys with her (who by this point, I at least was completely boyhood crush on the girl and didn't want to see any harm come to her. (keep in mind this was 1998, I was like... 9)) he completely destroys her emotionally before really taking the fight to her. Then he goes off the fucking radar and pulls out the classic Angelus shit, going after her friends. I mean, tell me you didn't have your god damn heart strings pulled when Giles thinks he finally has Miss. Calender and he walks up those stairs. Angelus strikes in every nasty place he can and pretty much leaves Buffy a broken shell. It was like a tactical strike designed to hit her in every possible weak spot.

It's all summed up best by the quote he says in the final episode.

"No weapons... no friends... no hope. Take all that away... and what's left?"

And that, my friend, is why no one will ever, ever top Angelus as the Ultimate Buffy Villain.

1. The Joker (Dark Knight)

Obvious reasons

2. Benjamin Linus (Lost)

Manipulative bastard that seems he always has a plan for every scenario and is always one step ahead of everyone.

3. Darth Vader (Star Wars)

Classic villain.

4. Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs)

Obvious reasons

5. Arvin Sloane (Alias)

Same reasons as Linus

6. Randall Flagg (The Stand Miniseries)

Stephen King's self-proclaimed best villain he has created so he is pretty damn good.

7. John Doe (Se7en)

Just awesome.

8. Arthur Mitchell (Dexter)

The first person that seemed to get the best of dearly devoted Dexter.

9. Sylar (Heroes)

Bad ass

10. Tyler Durden (Fight Club)

Self-righteous and just fan-dabi-dozi overall. He believed everything he was doing was justified.

Edited by LNK

1. T-1000 (Terminator 2)

2. Michael Myers (Halloween)

3. Hans Gruber (Die Hard)

4. Keyser Soze (The Usual Suspects)

5. Hannibal Lector (The Silence Of The Lambs)

6. Mr. Blonde (Reservoir Dogs)

7. The Joker (The Dark Knight)

8. Ernst Stavros Blofeld (James Bond)

9. Commodus (Gladiator)

10. Predator (Predator)

I'm not getting all the Angelus votes. Sure, he came in and fucked shit up in a major way, but so did Glory, and I think she did so to a muuuch bigger extent.

She didn't do anything as effectively, gloriously (no pun intended) fucking evil as what Angelus did to drive Giles over the edge. The Mayor's hilarious and Glory was the most powerful of the quality villains the show's had, but Angelus was the single best villain in Buffy.

1. Hans Gruber (Die Hard)

2. Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek/Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

3. Col. Hans Landa (Inglorious Basterds)

4. Russell 'Stringer' Bell (The Wire)

5. Antwon Mitchell (The Shield)

6. Charles Montgomery Burns (The Simpsons)

7. The Master (Dr. Who, all incarnations)

8. Davros (Doctor Who)

9. Nina Myers (24)

10. Jubal Early (Firefly)

I'm not getting all the Angelus votes. Sure, he came in and fucked shit up in a major way, but so did Glory, and I think she did so to a muuuch bigger extent.

She didn't do anything as effectively, gloriously (no pun intended) fucking evil as what Angelus did to drive Giles over the edge. The Mayor's hilarious and Glory was the most powerful of the quality villains the show's had, but Angelus was the single best villain in Buffy.

I'd argue that Glory had the longest lasting effects on Buffy, her whole depression during the sixth season (which is where I am right now) can be seen as being caused by the aftereffects of Glory being her in life

namely, that she killed her. Plus, yeah, she fucking killed her. Only the Master before her and probably whichever baddie is in the seventh season could do that.

I can understand Angelus being one of the top villians in Buffy, and definitely the most developed villian, but I guess it's his time as Angel that kills his chances for me in this particular list.

I'd argue that Glory had the longest lasting effects on Buffy, her whole depression during the sixth season (which is where I am right now) can be seen as being caused by the aftereffects of Glory being her in life

namely, that she killed her. Plus, yeah, she fucking killed her. Only the Master before her and probably whichever baddie is in the seventh season could do that.

I can understand Angelus being one of the top villians in Buffy, and definitely the most developed villian, but I guess it's his time as Angel that kills his chances for me in this particular list.

hahaha what? Glory didn't kill Buffy. Well, kind've indirectly I guess, but if you're going at it like that then the lizardy guy in the dressing gown who cut Dawn was even more the cause for her death. That and the whole, jumping off a building thing. :P

In that train of thought you can attribute the whole depression thing more to her friends, who pulled her out of there. Though you make you some fair point, I really don't agree that Glory was the best villain. She may have been the most powerful (though, judging from their fights you could argue Caleb, who you'll meet later, is probably about the same strength) but she herself didn't really cause any of the damage to the gang as a whole like Angel did. But then I suppose when I think of it like that, you could pretty much cancel out any damage Angel did by arguing that she seemed to get over it pretty quickly in S03.

Though lets not get into the ending of series 5, because apart from the scene where we realise she's dead and Giles killing Ben, the whole "Until the blood stops" thing was retarded.

1 Hans Landa (Inglorious Basterds

2 The Joker (The Dark Knight)

3 Anton Chigurh (No Country For Old Men)

4 The Terminator (The Terminator)

5 Darth Vader (Star Wars)

6 Tyler Durden (Fight Club)

7 Don Lope de Aguirre (Aguirre, The Wrath Of God)

8 Hans Gruber (Die Hard)

9 Adrian Veidt (Watchmen)

10 T-1000 (Terminator 2)

Edited by apsham

1. Hans Gruber (Die Hard)

2. The Joker (The Dark Knight)

3. Scar (The Lion King)

4. Arvin Sloane (Alias)

5. Hans Landa (Inglorious Basterds)

6. Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty)

7. Aaron Stampler/Roy (Primal Fear)

8. Mr. Burns (The Simpsons)

9. Oogie Boogie (The Nightmare Before Christmas)

10. Edward Longshanks (Braveheart)

1. Col. Hans Landa (Inglorious Basterds)

2. Hans Gruber (Die Hard)

3. Anton Chigurh (No Country For Old Men)

4. The Master (Doctor Who)

5. Benjamin Linus (Lost)

6. Agent Smith (The Matrix)

7. Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

8. The Child Catcher (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)

9. Jax (Cube Zero)

10. Sand! (Blake's 7)*

* In one episode of the series (insightfully entitled 'Sand'), the gang are attacked by what I can only describe as green vampire sand. The sheer insanity of it is worth a mention.

DFF's list is the shit. Also, man, words cannot describe how badly I want to do the actual results process of this. That's got to be so much fun to format.

Thanks man.

Yeah, it's a little clusterfucky so far - though I expect Gruber to win.

Oh hey, I just saw this. I should check this forum more.

Anyway,

1. Arthur Mitchell (Dexter) - probably only ranked so high because the season finale was just a week or so ago, admittedly. But seriously, watch the season finale of Dexter. That shit is insane. So, so fucking evil.

2. The Joker (TDK) - blah blah blah "obvious reasons".

3. The Reaper (Criminal Minds) - fan-dabi-dozi recurrent villain who consistently one-ups the BAU right up until the very end. Plus, that scene where he shoots a bus up I quite like, oddly enough.

4. Ethan Zoebelle (Sons of Anarchy) - Such a frustrating guy. It seems like he calls in favours all the time and that he's untouchable, always a thorn in SAMCRO's side. I'm hoping we haven't seen the last of him.

5. Pennywise (It) - Pennywise is the entire reason my friend hates clowns. True story.

6. Mr. Blonde (Reservoir Dogs) - Total, total psychopath. Say what you will about Quentin Tarantino's films, his ego, whatever - but the scene with Mr. Blonde cutting that cop's ear off to "Stuck In The Middle With You" is absolutely iconic. And such a bastard thing to do.

7. Agent Sands (Once Upon A Time In Mexico) - Shut up, okay, it's probably my love for Johnny Depp, but man. Sands is such a dick this entire movie, even though he's technically a "good guy".

8. Angel Eyes (The Good, The Bad & The Ugly) - Sociopath. Mercenary. Confederate soldier. Kind of a bad ass.

I, uh, can't think of any more right now.

• Like 1

I honestly never considered Sands a villain at any point. A jackass, yes, but not a villain. Also I think you just spoiled me for the fourth season of Dexter even more, you ass.

Observe the edit!

EDITED FOR TEN!

1. Annie Wilkes (Misery)

2. That goddamn shark (Jaws)

3. Warden Samuel Norton (The Shawshank Redemption)

4. Jafar (Aladdin)

5. William Stryker (X-Men 2)

6. Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs)

7. The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight (YEAH BABY) (The Tick) (and shame on GoGo for not including him!)

8. T-1000 (Terminator 2)

9. KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! (Star Trek 2)

10. Scar (The Lion King)

or, if it counts...

10. Charles Darwin (Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed :shifty: )