UFC News and Discussion Thread

Wouldn't it fucking suck for Lesnar if he got tapped in the first round again, though?

I've never ordered a UFC event in my life and haven't watched much, but can I ask why everyone thinks Lesnar is going to win? From what little I've seen I really think that Mir is going to find a way to make Lesnar tap out again personally.

Also, what should I be looking for when I watch this other then the obvious three big fights. Any tips for a UFC newb?

Since his debut Lesnar has improved massively, he dominated Herring for 15 minutes then stopped Randy in the second round. Basically the loss to Mir has opened his eyes to submissions and he's trained extensively in them since then.

And he's a fucking tank.

EDIT - The big three fights are rightly going to steal the show. GSP vs. Alves is going to be phenomenal I hope and it's crunch time for Bisping. Look out for Jon Jones if he can make the main card, he's looking like the next LHW star. Mark Coleman is also fighting on the undercard, look out for that making the broadcast, him and Bonnar are UFC legends. Oh and Akiyama is expected to do big things by a lot people.

Look out for Bruce Buffer doing the Buffer 360 and Joe Rogan shitting his pants too.

Edited by ZJ Penn

Well there will only be two other televised fights (Unless the two title fights finish in the early rounds, which is possible). Akiyama/Belcher will be a good fight, Akiyama generally has the best entrance in MMA, although whether or not the UFC will allow him to do it is something we'll have to wait and see. . Akiyama is expected to win but Belcher has a tendancy to ruin people's day (What's up Kang). The other televised fight will be Fitch/Thiago, Thiago has a perfect record, Fitch is a wrestling machine whose only loss in the UFC is to GSP, this should be much fun.

Edited by NBT

Whats big about this show?

It's largely only historic if you're already an MMA fan. Obviously there's lots of stuff to pull in new fans, but most of it is just all kinds of awesome for the existing fan. You've got three fights which are worthy of stand-alone main events, two of them featuring Lesnar and GSP. To have them fighting championship fights on the same card in MMA is, to a boxing fan, like having Pacquiao and Klitschko fighting on the same card. Actually I don't know if that's an accurate comparison, given that I've dropped out of following boxing, but you get the idea. Then you've got the TUF coaches fight, a Hall Of Famer fighting, Chuck and Mask going in, Akiyama debuting, Jones fighting and probably some surprises along the way. It's like a WrestleMania of MMA.

Edited by ZJ Penn

Whats big about this show? Outside of Lesnar I don't get it. I mean I am getting tempted to order because I keep hearing how historic it's supposed to be. I mean they even talked about it on Sportscenter even though they laughed through the whole thing.

It's UFC's 100th PPV event, which is a pretty big deal in and of itself. It has 3 main events, 2 of which could easily carry a PPV card by themselves in Lesnar/Mir and GSP/Alves and the third is a fight between this season's two TUF coaches, Dan Henderson and Michael Bisping that could probably lead a PPV card itself too. So it's pretty much the biggest card UFC has ever put forth and it seems to be the one their banking on to really put them over the top.

And I don't get to see it cause my friends are working!

Edited by Maxx

Whats big about this show? Outside of Lesnar I don't get it. I mean I am getting tempted to order because I keep hearing how historic it's supposed to be. I mean they even talked about it on Sportscenter even though they laughed through the whole thing.

Its the 100th PPV (Well, not really but its number 100) so its a landmark in that respect. Lesnar is THE guy that could dominate MMA for years to come, he's a wrestling terminator, he's a tank, he hits people incredibly hard, he hates people, he hates losing. His only loss is to Frank Mir. Mir is a staple of the UFC heavyweight division, he is on a path of redemption, he was supposed to be THE guy the UFC heavyweight division was built around, he won the title and then was in a horrible motorcycle accident, he developed an alochol problem, he returned and was nothing like he was before but he overcame his demons and built himself back up to be a top guy again, defeating an MMA legend in Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in his last fight. Mir's strengths are Lesnar's weaknesses, Mir has sick Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu skills, he broke Tim Sylvia's arm, while young he is vastly experienced. Has Lesnar learnt enough in 17 months to keep out of danger against Mir? Can Mir avoid Brock's rage for long enough to keep his head connected to his shoulders? The future of the heavyweight division is decided in this match, if Lesnar defeats Mir he could reign as champ for a long time, if Mir wins its hard to see where Lesnar goes from there, having lost to the new champ twice.

Plus there are some other matches >_>

Guest Mr. Potato Head

MPH's Quick Guide To Every Match For The Uninformed EWBer:

Lesnar vs. Mir: You know Brock Lesnar from his WWE days. In his first UFC fight, he was clearly beating Mir, but he left himself open for a submission and Mir got the win. Lesnar now has more experience and should be able to win the fight if he doesn't slip up again.

GSP vs. Alves: GSP is the current UFC Welterweight Champion and reigning Canadian Athlete of the Year, he's kind of a big deal up here. Alves is the only top guy left at 170 who GSP hasn't beat convincingly, and will probably go in with a bit of a weight advantage.

Bisping vs. Henderson: Bisping's a Brit, Henderson's a washed-up former PRIDE star.

Akiyama vs. Belcher: Akiyama is a Japanese star. The hope here is that he'll dispose of Belcher (a mediocre fighter by UFC standards) in short order.

Fitch vs. Thiago: The winner of this fight will be in the upper echelon of the 170 division, mainly because Fitch managed to survive a fight with GSP.

------------

Prelims: the following fights take place before the PPV starts, and the exciting ones are inserted into the show (taped) if time permits.

Mark Coleman vs. Stephan Bonnar: Two fighters whose name value handily outstrips their fighting skills. Bonnar is best remembered as the guy who lost to Forrest Griffin in the finale of the first Ultimate Fighter, Coleman is a UFC hall of famer who is too old to be effective anymore.

Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller: The lightweight (155 lb.) division doesn't have a lot of name value past BJ Penn, Kenny Florian, and Diego Sanchez - but the winner of this fight will be right behind those three, Nate Diaz, and Gray Maynard in the rankings.

Jon Bones Jones vs. Jake O'Brien: Jon Jones used a belly-to-belly suplex in his last fight. That is all you need to know.

Dong-Hyun Kim vs. TJ Grant: Kim is a Korean who is undefeated but does not appear to be a great fighter, Grant is a Canadian submission wizard.

CB Dolloway vs. Tom Lawlor: Admittedly, I don't know much about these two.

Matt Grice vs. Shannon Gugerty: Grice was talked about for a while as being a potential title challenger at 155, but a loss to Matt Veach has caused some (or at least me) to change their tune.

Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller: The lightweight (155 lb.) division doesn't have a lot of name value past BJ Penn, Kenny Florian, and Diego Sanchez - but the winner of this fight will be right behind those three, Nate Diaz, and Gray Maynard in the rankings.

How so? Cause the way I see it is Danzig is like one or two losses away from being out of the UFC... and even a win will not even put him behind those guys. Danzig has not been impressive at all. I wouldn't be surprised to see him soon find himself like Travis Lutter and be the second Ultimate Fighter winner to be cut from UFC. And who has Jim Miller beat to even be considered directly behind those five?