UFC News and Discussion Thread

I actually feel sorry for Maia. He finally gets his chance, the chance that he's deserved (In my opinion) for a long time and he gets played. Oh and GSP better get in that octagon and state what needs to be said. I just wanna see Silva's reaction.

Edited by IzzyX

Lost alot of respect for Silva and Maia has gained alot. Maia trying to finish the fight at the end says it all, Anderson could have finished it well early but then decided to do his stupid clowning about routine and make him seem possibly gassed and lose the will to do anything after the 3rd round.

From Ariel Helwani's twitter: According to @KevinI and @CameoMo, Dana threw down the title and left in the 4th round.

If it's true i wouldnt blame Dana. Theres trying to put on a show and then their's being a complete asshole, a good show that got a bit spoilt by the main event

• Like 1

Anderson Silva's clowning around was fun for the first two rounds. When he did nothing for reat of the fight, I was just chirping in for the Maia chants. I was even hoping for Maia to finish the fight with his flurry late in the fight because Silva was being such a joke of himself.

Well, honestly, I thought the Silva/Maia main event was the only bad fight. I paid money for the the event, and I only feel cheated by the main event. Frankie Edgar looking like gold was great, the opening fight cool, getting to see Phil Davis was awesome and Dos Anjos pulling out a slick submission was great as well. Alright, I guess the Hughes/Gracie fight was a let-down but still, I don't feel I've wasted any money.

Guest Mr. Murray Head

I feel like the whole show was crap really. Munoz/Grove was awesome, Dos Anjos/Etim and Davis/Gustafsson were good, but Hughes/Gracie was just dull, Silva/Maia was a terrible fight, and Penn/Edgar was actually pretty bad but looks okay because of what it was sandwiched between.

• Like 2

yeh it was a good show apart from the main event. Dana White is going berserk at the press conference though one comment he's supposed to have said is

"DW - I don't want to see GSP vs. Silva after tonight. Silva might be the first champion fighting on a prelim. I don't want to see that sh*t"

I think the problem with Anderson Silva is he needs someone to go after him for him to put on an exciting fight. Look at Forrest Griffin fight, Forrest is the type of fighter to go on the attack and so Anderson can counter and weave and put on a good fight. I don't know if i wanna see the GSP fight aslong as GSP can just take him down and then just beat him up cause i've lost alot of respect for him. I think Chael Sonnen has a good chance against Anderson now as well

Anderson Silva was a joke. P4P best in the world my ass, showboating doesn't show anything.

Bollocks.

Silva once again showed why he's by far one of the best fighters on the planet. I cant see ANYBODY stopping him at middleweight, he's just taking it so easy and almost toying with his opponents. I genuinely cant see anybody ever stopping him at this weight, fantastic.

Anderson Silva was a joke. P4P best in the world my ass, showboating doesn't show anything.

Bollocks.

Silva once again showed why he's by far one of the best fighters on the planet. I cant see ANYBODY stopping him at middleweight, he's just taking it so easy and almost toying with his opponents. I genuinely cant see anybody ever stopping him at this weight, fantastic.

Did you even watch the fight? Silva was toying with Maia for the first two rounds yes, but in the third round he just shut down and did nothing. He showed he could easily beat Maia but he just didn't. He just ran. I loved when Dan Miragliotta warned him for inactivity because it was totally justified. Maia even had Silva up against the cage, tieing off on him at one point, although it wasn't an extended period of time. Silva is still a great fighter, he just didn't show it all tonight. He showed he can be fun and entertaining but he also showed he had no will to fight and no heart to finish the fight. And I am sick and tired of the bullshit excuses he does after his fights; he did the exact same thing with the Thales Leites fight. Admittedly, Leites was fucking boring and just falling back but Anderson could have also easily finished him but again, he just didn't.

If a fight comes with GSP, I hope GSP dominates him and humiliates him, at least to get Silva back to earth. I think this title run and popularity has gotten to his head.

The problem with Silva is why does he have any reason to engage? He is just fucking brutal at countering so once he establishes a lead in the round or the fight, there is no incentive to go in and get caught when he can just sit back, counter, and keep the belt?

I really don't know much about UFC, so forgive me if this is a dumb question - but is there anything in the rules prohibiting showboating or taunting? I'm guessing there's something that says you have to at least be in a fighting stance, going by the threat to take a point off Silva if he kept running around, but is there anything to stop a fighter smack talking to his opponent or taunting/mocking them otherwise?

The problem with Silva is why does he have any reason to engage? He is just fucking brutal at countering so once he establishes a lead in the round or the fight, there is no incentive to go in and get caught when he can just sit back, counter, and keep the belt?

But that's the thing! If he did that for the entire fight, I wouldn't have complained. But he didn't. He just flailed around for the last three rounds, and it was easty to see that he would have easily outstruck Maia even if he engaged but he didn't. He seemed bored and distracted in there, not really interesting in offering a fight at all, just relaxing for 25 minutes and retaining his title. I probably wouldn't be as pissed as I am if he hadn't made that bullshit excuse at the end or said pre-fight that he wanted to make a statement.

Scott McFly - As far as I know, they at least try to uphold respect between the fighters but smacktalk and ring antics make entertaining fights. Which I why I liked the first two rounds, Silva was being entertaining in those rounds.

Bollocks.

Did you even watch the fight? Silva was toying with Maia for the first two rounds yes, but in the third round he just shut down and did nothing. He showed he could easily beat Maia but he just didn't. He just ran. I loved when Dan Miragliotta warned him for inactivity because it was totally justified. Maia even had Silva up against the cage, tieing off on him at one point, although it wasn't an extended period of time. Silva is still a great fighter, he just didn't show it all tonight. He showed he can be fun and entertaining but he also showed he had no will to fight and no heart to finish the fight. And I am sick and tired of the bullshit excuses he does after his fights; he did the exact same thing with the Thales Leites fight. Admittedly, Leites was fucking boring and just falling back but Anderson could have also easily finished him but again, he just didn't.

If a fight comes with GSP, I hope GSP dominates him and humiliates him, at least to get Silva back to earth. I think this title run and popularity has gotten to his head.

Don't pay for the fight then. Silva once again dominated and the fact is his opponent wasn't anywhere near close to ever having him beaten and that's the problem. Hardly anybody has ever come close to even looking like they could beat Silva. I'm not saying the fight was great or anything, but he's again showed that the opponent cant barely even push him to the limit. And you talk about GSP, a guy who has done almost the same as Silva, just dominated fights and hasn't looked as entertaining as he once was. Silva now needs a fighter that is going to go into the octagon and try to push him, just like Griffin did. Griffin tried to go into the fight and entertain, but got completely destroyed, which is probably why certain fighters try to hold back against Silva. It's not the most entertaining fight, but you cant try to shit on Silva. He's easily one of the best fighters in MMA, so laughing him off like he cant be claimed as the best P4P fighter is pathetic.

No there's no rules against smack talking or taunting.

Anderson got warned for: Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury. but no rule on smack talking or taunting

Bollocks.

Don't pay for the fight then. Silva once again dominated and the fact is his opponent wasn't anywhere near close to ever having him beaten and that's the problem. Hardly anybody has ever come close to even looking like they could beat Silva. I'm not saying the fight was great or anything, but he's again showed that the opponent cant barely even push him to the limit. And you talk about GSP, a guy who has done almost the same as Silva, just dominated fights and hasn't looked as entertaining as he once was. Silva now needs a fighter that is going to go into the octagon and try to push him, just like Griffin did. Griffin tried to go into the fight and entertain, but got completely destroyed, which is probably why certain fighters try to hold back against Silva. It's not the most entertaining fight, but you cant try to shit on Silva. He's easily one of the best fighters in MMA, so laughing him off like he cant be claimed as the best P4P fighter is pathetic.

Johnny boy, I think you are confusing me for davidmarrio. :P I never claimed Silva was horrible, or that he didn't deserve to be the top P4P fighter. I was just saying that I am disappointed in his performance because he has had so much better performances, and from a top level fighter who says and claims the things he does I expect fights to be the same way. I agree with you that Silva looked dominant for when he actually did something but that was only ten minutes out of 25. Silva just wasn't an convincing as his win against Forrest Griffin, he just looked like a plain fighter out there instead of great Anderson Silva that we are used to. What makes me boil is that he has all this talk, that he is going to make a statement and he just walks around and takes an easy decision victory, doing a minimal of effort to win but still just enough to keep afloat and not commit to his opponent, something that Maia did. But yeah, GSP isn't just laying on his opponents for five rounds, he tries to finish. Look at the Hardy fight. Or the Alves fight, he was ground and pounding like hell. Hell, look at the Penn fight!

I can understand Dana White's frustration because Silva just seems like he can do whatever he wants. But I do hope he returns in style for his next fight, though, as he is a great fighter.

Bollocks.

Johnny boy, I think you are confusing me for davidmarrio. :P I never claimed Silva was horrible, or that he didn't deserve to be the top P4P fighter. I was just saying that I am disappointed in his performance because he has had so much better performances, and from a top level fighter who says and claims the things he does I expect fights to be the same way. I agree with you that Silva looked dominant for when he actually did something but that was only ten minutes out of 25. Silva just wasn't an convincing as his win against Forrest Griffin, he just looked like a plain fighter out there instead of great Anderson Silva that we are used to. What makes me boil is that he has all this talk, that he is going to make a statement and he just walks around and takes an easy decision victory, doing a minimal of effort to win but still just enough to keep afloat and not commit to his opponent, something that Maia did. But yeah, GSP isn't just laying on his opponents for five rounds, he tries to finish. Look at the Hardy fight. Or the Alves fight, he was ground and pounding like hell. Hell, look at the Penn fight!

I can understand Dana White's frustration because Silva just seems like he can do whatever he wants. But I do hope he returns in style for his next fight, though, as he is a great fighter.

Personally I just disagree. GSP has almost laid on his opponents for his last few title fights and hasn't looked half as entertaining as he did before he won the title or around that time. I just think it's harsh to put it all on Silva. For me they need a strong challenger to come in to take on Silva, somebody who wont sit back at all and will try to take the fight to him. He's not even my favourite fighter, but I just don't see anybody beating him right now. Boring at times or not, he's just too good for the majority of opposition.

For the show, not great, but I was shocked Penn lost. Cant say I expected that, but it's shook up the division for sure.