UFC News and Discussion Thread

After a few below average events, it was good to see the UFC deliver a solid card tonight. Outside of the Koschek fight, every fight was interesting to watch and the main event delivered. It was excellent. I am now really excited for UFC 114 and 116 (I don't know much about 115).

I gotta agree with Dana it's a good move. Paul Daley basically assaulted him and Dana did the right thing. I am a fan of Daley but you can't go around punching people after fights a absolutely stupid thing to do.

But Shogun :D I was so happy when he won i felt it was justice and he looked great and basically killed the aura of Machida. Be interesting to see how Machida will bounce back how will he handle getting knocked out for the first time and losing for the first time.

Jeremy Stephens/Sam Stout was a good fight to watch, Alan Belcher looked impressive despite the dreadful Johnny Cash tattoo and while Mitrione did look good i'll wait a few more fights to see as he does have some potential but Kimbo's not exactly a good measuring stick

Bring on Rampage/Evans!!!!

Daley punching Kosheck was like when there are players fighting in football. Everyone shakes their head, tuts, and says 'we don't like to see that kinda thing', but secretly, everyone is loving it. But yeah, I loved it, but it was a stupid thing to do, and he needed to be cut for it.

I texted my mate the other night saying the bet to have was a Mitrione and Rua double. Typically, I then padded mine out with Kosheck, Belcher and Stout. Close, but no cigar.

EDIT: Also, with Davidmarrio's status update, I too thought it was probably a spoiler, so reacted a little like Fitzy. Not saying you were in the wrong, just saying I can see why people jumped to that conclusion.

Edited by Liam
  • Like 1

Really enjoyed the show, although hated the majority of results.

I'd say Kimbo is surely done after that. His legs looked fucked and his cardio just isn't good enough. I love the guy, so hopefully we see him again, but I'm really doubting it.

Koscheck again shows why he's the biggest nob in MMA. Yet again he fakes something, pathetic really. It doesn't even fucking matter if it scraped his face, he acted like he didn't know where he was, bollocks. Daley hitting him afterwards is a complete dick move, but honestly, I loved it. That all said, GSP/Koscheck on the Ultimate Fighter is going to be awesome and may just somehow make me take a liking to GSP.

Main Event was guttering, simple as that. Another great showing from Shogun, but it's terrible to see Machida lose :(

Winner of Rashad/Rampage to face Shogun?

Koscheck is the best heel in MMA history.

Wrong... Its Lesnar, Koscheck is the jock you love to hate. Lesnar is the asshole who knows he can do what he wants, because people frankly, will do nothing about it.

Oh and Davidmarrio, I thought you had spoiled it to with your "Kimbo Slice!!" status update, its been done before with other sporting events and people have complained so you really ought to be a bit more careful, people WILL jump to that conculsion :)

And Daley :( So, so disappointed in him, it was a horrible ting to do and he should be ashamed of himself. Even though I would wnat to punch Josh Koshceck until he is unconcious personally, once the fight is over its technically assault :/

Sweet, we already have to put our lives on hold for people who don't watch live events...live...and now we should refrain from posting names in status updates? This internet thing is serious business people. Chill out, seriously.

Actually, naw.. it pissed me off too because I had yet to see the fights myself and after reading something like that, I kind of didn't want to. It's inconsiderate - that's all anyone has argued.

Either way, I'm dissapointed that Lyoto lost, however I can be rather excited that the UFC has gotten rid of two fighters that I cannot stand. Daley is a little bitch who got what was coming to him for his attitude, and Kimbo is a freak that was never going to make it in the UFC - frankly I think they just wanted to get him and his hype out of the way.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Koscheck is absolutely not the greatest heel in MMA history. I got a message after the fight along the lines of "Koscheck knows that if he wants to be a heel, he needs to play one everywhere, not just in Montreal, right?", and I pretty much agree. Last night was the first time I've ever been convinced that what he was doing was heelish.

I can't tell you how happy I was to see Rua win. My friends and I watched both the first fight and this one last night together and we both agreed he won the first one. When Lyoto went down we all jumped up and watched him get his head smashed. It was fantastic. As far as the other fights, I was disappointed that Kimbo lost as I like the guy. He's got a good attitude but just didn't get into the sport young enough. Koscheck is a douche and a half and he continues to prove that. Daley shouldn't have hit him but Koscheck shouldn't be trying to cheat towards a win either. Stout/Stevens and Belcher/Whoever the other guy was were solid fights. Better than you normally get on a card with such a big main event.

I'm not going to order the next card with Rampage but I'll probably go see it at a sports bar or something. That should to be a fun fight.

Koscheck is absolutely not the greatest heel in MMA history. I got a message after the fight along the lines of "Koscheck knows that if he wants to be a heel, he needs to play one everywhere, not just in Montreal, right?", and I pretty much agree. Last night was the first time I've ever been convinced that what he was doing was heelish.

There was a time when he hated getting booed and was upset when it happened. Now I think he is finally learning that being hated is not a bad thing and gets people interested in the fights which means more money for him. So I think we will be seeing him up the heel stuff from now on.

As for the event, I liked seeing Koscheck and Belcher win. Thought Daley was a moron for throwing a punch after the bell. He should've known that was not a smart thing to do, no matter what Koscheck might have done during the fight. Kimbo being cut is the right thing. As for the main event, I like both Machida and Shogun, so was happy with the outcome either way. It's going to be interesting to see how Lyoto bounces back from his first career loss. Also good to see Davis bounce back from those two loses.

Oh, and as for Koscheck as the coach, the thing is, these guys bring their main coaches along with them. So those guys will be doing the real work anyways. Koscheck's just there to build for the fight with GSP. I mean, you see him showing these guys stuff he knows, but the real work is being done by the other coaches he brings along.

And a least Koscheck didn't take the easy way out like Jamie Varner did against Donald Cerrone and have the fight stopped so he could keep the title.

Ken really just was a coach cause it was against Tito that was the only reason he was there, shows by him being late for training multiple times.

Rampage is just Rampage he even admits he's a crap coach just their to build the profile up of his fight with Evans.

Koscheck would be a good coach and he'll have some of the guys from AKA there. Kos is a good example of improving your overall game moving from being a one dimensional wrestler into a true MMA fighters he'll hopefully be able to show that to the fighters.

Ken really just was a coach cause it was against Tito that was the only reason he was there, shows by him being late for training multiple times.

Rampage is just Rampage he even admits he's a crap coach just their to build the profile up of his fight with Evans.

Koscheck would be a good coach and he'll have some of the guys from AKA there. Kos is a good example of improving your overall game moving from being a one dimensional wrestler into a true MMA fighters he'll hopefully be able to show that to the fighters.

While I don't disagree with the first part of the bold statement, and it is infact entirely true, the second part about showing other fighters how to not be one dimensional doesn't hold water as it did when he started 5/6 years ago. The sport and the show has changed so much its unbelievable, for instance, looking at tis season there are 14 guys in the TUF house that are very well rounded and its the case of only when one person is exceptional the other is over matched. i think he will be a good coach and bringing the AKA guys will be a massive plus to anybody on his team, but I doubt that any of the fighters on TUF in the future will be truely as one dimensional as Kos was when he started because the standards of the sport have so drastically changed, even the guys coming in to the UFC now are well rounded, its not like we are getting a whole load of Kit Copes coming in :)

Daley's sucker punch was great, though it's a shame it didn't really land. Would've been great if he had knocked Koscheck out with the last punch he ever threw inside the octagon. :shifty:

I agree with Liam. Admit it - no matter how big of an MMA fan you are, and no matter how wrong and disrespectful towards the sport it would be, you would've loved to see those two tear each other apart after the match.

Holy shit, Machida looked useless in his fight against Rua. Am I the only one that think Machida looked out of shape and fat? But awesome finish and yeah, yet ANOTHER Light Heavyweight champion; although, in my mind Rua finally gets his belt after winning it last October.

Also, hah, Daley, sore loser. Koscheck, this isn't Hollywood. But at least he did to Daley what all his previous opponents in the UFC should have done, but didn't even though they could, and that is take Daley down because he only has the basic of basics of ground game. Also, I'd much rather see Kos vs. GSP. :shifty:

Too bad Tom Lawlor lost, I marked out for his Dan Severn look. Also, am I the only one who thinks that Kimbo Slice against Matt Mitrione was the most sloppy Heavyweight fight in a long time? Mitirone has the most useless submissions, the slowest and sloppiest head kicks I've seen and only won because Kimbo Slice is a slow learner and apparently can't get a grip of the ground game.