UFC News and Discussion Thread

Bolleje, where are you from? The United States does a lot to take care of wounded soldiers (I know a couple that have been wounded personally). The organization the UFC (Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund) is working with is an outside organization that launched on it's own to target a specific cause (brain trauma) that not only needs more research but takes much more effort to care for as well.

Check out the site: http://www.fallenheroesfund.org

Initially it was targeted to help the families of those lost in conflict. A noble effort on any account.

Yes... sorry, I was probably a bit too quick to judge. My apologies :-). I'm from Belgium btw. I guess seeing a lot of attention for military personnel is a bit strange for us Europeans (or at least Belgians). Having a 'sports' event tributed to 'our troops' is highly unlikely and would likely result in negative reactions faster than positive.

But... supporting the war in Iraq, Afghanistan or somewhere else or not... I guess treating people with serious injuries and trauma's is allways a nice thing. :-). So I stand corrected ;-).

However... still hate Pat Barry's speech :-D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr. Potato Head

Has there ever been a UFC card - at least since they started running shows monthly or more often - as top-to-bottom stacked as UFC 130?

Edgar/Maynard 3, Rampage/Thiago Silva, Mir/Nelson, Stann/Wanderlei, Alves/Story.

That card is stacked with fights that I'm scared to see. I don't want to see majority of those guys lose outside of Stann (and it's not wanting him to lose, it's wanting Wandy to win). Mir/Nelson is especially hard for me. Forcefully picking though, I hope Thaigo blast Rampage in shocking fashion just for the shake up it would cause.

The upcoming UFC 126 isn't bad either: Silva Vs Belfort (perhaps the best fighter ever vs a worthy contender), Griffin Vs Franklin (two still relevant former champions), Torres vs Banuelos (another ex-champ) and Bader Vs Jones (the two brightest UFC Light Heavyweight prospects).

And then there's UFC 129:

St-Pierre vs Shields (dominant UFC champ vs Strikeforce champ)

Aldo Vs Hominick (another very dominant UFC champ)

Hamill Vs Davis

Couture vs Machida (a multi-time champ/legend vs an ex-champ)

Bocek Vs Henderson (another champion)

Holy shit! I can't be the only person who watched the weigh-ins tonight.

Jeeeeeeeeesus, the tension between these two fighters... Check my sig for a pic from the weigh-ins.

Leading up to the fight, Vitor made comments about Anderson wearing a "mask" to try to intimidate his opponents, but that Belfort doesn't need to wear masks to cover his insecurities. Silva decided to wear a literal MASK to get inside Vitor's head. They started spouting off insults and their camps had to break them up.

Good shit. This is gonna be a CRAZY fight.

The weigh ins were good fun, I loved it, perfect build for the fight, I loved a few little things, Forrest was right down to business and to the scales, and chuckled at Ace only weighing 202, size advantage definitely goes to Forrest. I was happy Kid made weight, first time he has cut weight since high school, very different when you are older to when you are a teenager and obviously the Vitor/Spider staredown and bit of push and shove was a great little extra bit of build, good set of fights coming up, glad I get to see the card.

11.gif

I wish I knew Portuguese so I could know what the fuck Silva just said to Belfort. I'm hooked.

According to one "translation" I read on another forum (Sherdog), Silva basically said "You're fucked! You're fucked! You're going to get your ass kicked!" and Vitor responded "I'm in! I'm in, bro!"

Take it with a grain of salt.

Tyson Griffin says he's moving to featherweight. In this weeks Observer Meltzer said that Kenny Florian will be be attempting a trial cut to see if he can also make featherweight, which is crazy. He debuted in the UFC at 185, moved to 170 for a couple of fights, and then settled at 155 up 'til this point in his career, and now thinking of losing even more weight to make a fourth weight class.

Though with Griffin, I wonder if we'll see Urijah Faber eventually move back up to 145 to try and avenge the loss to Griffin.

I'd rather see Faber vs. Cruz rematch than Faber vs. Griffin, and I'm a bigger fan of Tyson than I am of Dominick by far.

Kenny shouldn't cut to 145. He isn't at a disadvantage at 155 because of size. He's at a disadvantage against any good wrestler... what Maynard and Sherk were able to do to him, any top level wrestler can do assuming they have good stand up as well.

I mean, I think Frankie Edgar has proven that you don't have to be the biggest dog in the yard at 155 to win the strap. Kenny didn't lose to BJ because he was smaller. He lost because he's not as skilled overall.

I think Tyson at 145, though, is a good move. He was undersized at 155 and is coming off a BS decision loss. A move to 145 could be enough to rejuvenate him (like what Marcus Davis tried, moving from 170 to 155... Shame UFC cut him so quickly, even if he is nearing the end of his career).