UFC News and Discussion Thread

Guest mr. potato head

Dana just tweeted "Excited to announce that @RogersSportsnet is the new home of UFC in Canada!!"

Which strikes me as very odd considering Rogers Sportsnet has shown UFC programming for years and, I believe, has been their only home in Canada.

EDIT: Never mind, four-year extension of the current deal. Boo.

Dana just tweeted "Excited to announce that @RogersSportsnet is the new home of UFC in Canada!!"

Which strikes me as very odd considering Rogers Sportsnet has shown UFC programming for years and, I believe, has been their only home in Canada.

Maybe they renegotiated the deal or extended it? I remember seeing the UFC on TSN years and years ago, but since TUF, I can only remember Sportsnet and Spike showing UFC content.

Guest mr. potato head

Yeah, I edited, they extended it. :P

I don't remember UFC on TSN at all...UCC, yeah, and some studio show hosted by David Amber, but not UFC.

Did nothing but walked back and forth across that same walkway in his underwear for three days.

Akiyama has pulled out of UFC 128 because of the earthquake, he's not injured according to Dana White, but it's unknown when he'll be back.

Dan Miller is now fighting Nate Marquardt.

Well Dana White said that guys could go from the UFC to Strikeforce. So instead of cutting these people like they have been doing a lot lately due to so much room for fighters, they'd send them over to Strikeforce. A guy like Joe Stevenson, who lost his last three fights, he'd probably be a guy that would be sent over there to see how he does.

I think the best thing that will happen is that Strikeforce can use the advertising expertise of Zuffa to really start to push the way that they move the product forward, deeper & more competitive divisions will be created with time, I am both excited and intrigued by this massive massive news.

[/hyperbole]

Guest mr. potato head

I'm sorry, I just don't see the benefit to UFC here at all. I mean, I get buying Strikeforce, but keeping it around rather than folding it into UFC? You run a card with the Strikeforce name, it will do a certain amount of business. You run the exact same card with the UFC name, it will do more business. UFC's quickly getting to the point where they put on so many shows that most people won't be able to keep up with everything - and Dana's said he okay with that - so why not just speed that up rather than letting a lame-duck Strikeforce flounder?

Does this mean UFC essentially now has their own development territory? Wow.

Not sure what this entails. I'm guessing seeing as Zuffa have bought Strikeforce and not explicitly UFC there won't be any direct trades, but it'll be easier for UFC to negotiate better young fighters in exchange for older guys who have lost their lustre.

Guest mr. potato head

The more I think about it, the more this probably has to deal with the Strikeforce/Showtime deal - I bet when that's up in two years, Strikeforce folds, just as WEC did once their deal was up.

Anyhow, get ready to :lol: at Dana hyping up Strikeforce's top fighters as on par with his guys now.