UFC News and Discussion Thread

Daaaaaaaaaayum, Not surprised it happened so fast, I am surprised she did it all with stand up though.

Edited by Maxx

Well that went exactly as expected. Who the hell is left? Miesha Tate for the 3rd time? That division is barren.

Take Ronda out and it's a competitive division, it's not like the other fighters are shit. The problem for every other woman in the division is they've come along at the same time as one of the most dominant fighters in MMA history. 

Ronda's striking is seriously underrated.

• Like 1

OK can we get a triple threat Lesnar-Rousey-Mayweather fight now to find out who the most dominant is? Or at least Lesnar-Rousey, Mayweather can stand in the corner and hug the referee.

EDIT: Maybe we could add Nathan Jones to the match too :)

• Like 1

Well that went exactly as expected. Who the hell is left? Miesha Tate for the 3rd time? That division is barren.

Take Ronda out and it's a competitive division, it's not like the other fighters are shit. The problem for every other woman in the division is they've come along at the same time as one of the most dominant fighters in MMA history. 

Well, I think it's reasonable to admit that women's MMA as a whole is underdeveloped compared to the mens game (through no fault of their own) and that plays a role, which combined with Rousey just wrecking shit and being a world class fighter/Olympic athlete miles ahead of her competition makes things look even worse. She's phenomenal, but to compare her to Mike Tyson feels disingenuous given the quality of opponent despite their similar dominance. I think with Rousey becoming such a huge star and bringing such worldwide exposure WMMA is going to improve vastly in the coming years as more talented female athletes pursue it, but it'll take time. I don't think you can honestly say WMMA is close to the same level of depth yet, though, and it's evident by the lack of big time fights left. Take nothing away from Miesha, but she's not going to pose a real threat to an athlete on Ronda's level and we all know that.

Edited by HeadChuck McGill
  • Like 1

Well, I think it's reasonable to admit that women's MMA as a whole is underdeveloped compared to the mens game (through no fault of their own) and that plays a role, which combined with Rousey just wrecking shit and being a world class fighter/Olympic athlete miles ahead of her competition makes things look even worse. She's phenomenal, but to compare her to Mike Tyson feels disingenuous given the quality of opponent despite their similar dominance. I think with Rousey becoming such a huge star and bringing such worldwide exposure WMMA is going to improve vastly in the coming years as more talented female athletes pursue it, but it'll take time. I don't think you can honestly say WMMA is close to the same level of depth yet, though, and it's evident by the lack of big time fights left. Take nothing away from Miesha, but she's not going to pose a real threat to an athlete on Ronda's level and we all know that.

This, except that it's more that 135 is like the heavyweight equivalent. The lighter WMMA divisions are must more advanced, but classes like bantamweight and featherweight are just empty.

Have Ronda wreck Miesha for the third time again, maybe put her on as the co-main of Aldo / Conor if they want to try and really break that UFC 100 record, then Ronda will go make Mile 22 and come back to beat up Cyborg, hopefully.

The rest of the card was crap, though, barring the strawweight fight. Stefan Struve is the most frustrating and horrible heavyweight to watch, he's the only one that's less than 30 years and is still as slow as the rest of them. Dude hasn't evolved since 2008.

Thing is with Ronda, it's not just that her Judo base is so far above the level of everyone else's background. Her skill acquisition speed is phenomenal compared to the rest of WMMA. Look at her striking, she's only been concentrating on it for less than two years and she's surpassed everyone on the evidence of last night. Removing her Judo from the equation, the three biggest threats to her are Tate, Holm and Cyborg and given the level of striking skill she's now demonstrating, she'd wreck all three of them on the feet. The only thing that you can conclude from it is that Ronda works far harder and trains far more effectively than anyone else in WMMA, maybe even MMA in general.

Struve is just terrible, he's 9 feet tall and can't fight at range and has awful striking defence. He's as slow as the aged heavyweights not because of his age, but because he's had 33 fights and 6 KO losses, he's a wreck and if he carries on, by the time he's 50, he's going to be a vegetable.

He looks like the type of fighter that has never heard of lateral movement. He just stands there, barely moves his feet, doesn't understand the concept of keeping his hands up, and keeps his head straight up the whole time. He's just so bad at what he's supposed to be good at.

Also, I'm on my phone and haven't seen it, but apparently the Diaz brothers were involved in 2 brawls at WSOF last night as well, I think both were with Khabib and AKA? Can someone post the videos?

He looks like the type of fighter that has never heard of lateral movement. He just stands there, barely moves his feet, doesn't understand the concept of keeping his hands up, and keeps his head straight up the whole time. He's just so bad at what he's supposed to be good at.

Also, I'm on my phone and haven't seen it, but apparently the Diaz brothers were involved in 2 brawls at WSOF last night as well, I think both were with Khabib and AKA? Can someone post the videos?

https://youtu.be/pQUq9iQZyJ8

What the fuck is wrong with the Diaz brothers?

Edited by munky

Ronda Rousey ain't nothin' to fuck with.

She's amazing. I love her, and I love how she keeps proving her haters wrong.

I really want her to fight Cyborg, because the people clinging to the fact Cyborg would beat her are next to be proven wrong.

• Like 6