UFC News and Discussion Thread

Only in the sense that it would have been stopped in the first when Fedor was spinning like a top and getting blasted. A draw would have been a fair result, 28-28.

All I took from this fight is that refs and judges are biased towards Fedor in Russia and if Fedor goes to the UFC, he's going to get absolutely smoked by any top 15 fighter at either heavyweight or light heavy. 

2 hours ago, EddieG said:

I'm just happy when Rory loses.

I'm happy when YOU lose!

That main event was a fight that I thought could have went either way. I just think that Rory should have put more pressure on him and it could have cancelled out the unorthodox style of Thompson but he chose to try to fight him at his own game and ended up on the wrong end of it.

Thompson won the fight but it was closer than a 50-45 score would suggest. Rory wasn't the same fighter he usually is, as he never really pulled the trigger on anything, although neither did Thompson, really, and it ended the night on a rather lacklustre note. Cerrone is doing great at welterweight, but it's time to see how good he really is at this weight and put him against a bigger name. Maybe Carlos Condit if his rematch with Nick Diaz doesn't come through.

Edited by Vince Russo

Well, Rory didn't really have the opportunity to pull the trigger, did he, with Thompson continuously keeping him at range with his lateral movement. Rory kept trying to cut him off, and was successful in like the second round for a bit, but Thompson's sidekicks kept throwing off his rhythm to keep Thompson's back against the fence. 

Condit would maul Cowboy. Matt Brown or Thiago Alves would be a fun fight, though, both are not as polished as Condit that Cowboy might have a chance.

Great quote from Cormier about UFC 200:

“Brock Lesnar got on the card and Brock’s a huge draw. So right as Brock was getting announced, I was at UFC 199 with Luke Rockhold. I started hearing these rumors so I started texted Brock. I’m like, ‘Hey, Brock are you fighting? Tell me please.’ He didn’t respond. So I wrote, ‘Hey, Brock, is it Christmas time in the Cormier household?’ because Brock sells pay-per-views, I am obviously one of the guys that gets pay-per-view dollars. And he goes, ‘Merry Christmas.’ That’s all he wrote back. I was like ‘Brock you’re the f***ing man’ and ‘congratulations and welcome back, buddy.’ My wallet jumped out of my damn pocket. I had to pick it up off the ground.”

• Like 8

On the MMA Hour on Monday, GSP said he's ready to return to the UFC, and the fight he is after is against Michael Bisping. GSP didn't mention the middleweight title, instead building it up as a fight between the two men with the most wins in the UFC, as he and Bisping are tied at 19 wins each. GSP also said he wanted the fight with Bisping because they've both been staunchly against performance enhancing drugs, and GSP said that is something he respects Bisping for.

If they're not going to make Bisping vs. Henderson II, then Bisping vs. GSP is a more than welcome alternative.

• Like 1

So I guess rumor now is that Gall/Punk will most likely be moved back to UFC 203. That's what Ariel Helwani's been lead to believe, anyway. We'll probably find out for sure tomorrow, since Punk (alongside Dwayne Johnson) are the guests on the UFC Unfiltered podcast.

CM Punk confirmed it, that he'll be fighting Mickey Gall at UFC 203. You can't ever say someone has a zero percent chance of winning because anything can happen in a fight, but Punk's chances are right around that mark. Whatever happens, though, I expect it'll be his first and last fight, given how long it took for him to be considered ready for this right and his general physical condition.

Considering we have absolutely no idea how well he's trained, and he's fighting against a guy who's only 2-0.. anything can happen.

Carlos Condit returns at UFC 202 (McGregor vs. Diaz II) against Demian Maia, which is a great fight and will likely see the winner get a shot at the welterweight title. Also added to that event is Anthony Johnson against Glover Teixeira and Donald Cerrone against Rick Story.

UFC 202 is looking set to have a loaded main card.