UFC News and Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Asuka's Gonna Kill You said:

It's gutting but this doesn't change the card being absolutely incredible. It's stacked from top to bottom even without Cormier/Jones II.

I guess you're right, it just feels like it doesn't have that super fight main attraction that Cormier/Jones provided.

I don't know if the Tate/Holm rematch was ever a viable option but I know Bryan Caraway was determined that Miesha fought Nunes and not Holm (or Rousey), if they'd taken the Holm re-match instead of the Nunes fight then she'd be headlining the biggest UFC PPV ever instead of being overlooked for that spot.

Bryan Caraway is not Jon Jones stupid, but he's not far off, not just in turning down a big money fight but turning it down on what would have been one of the two biggest shows in company history, which would have made Tate's paycheque even bigger.

As for Jones, you can't say anything that hasn't already been said, and not just after this screw up, because he's had plenty of others to comment on. I have no doubt he'll have a litany of excuses ready, and I have equally little doubt that he'll screw up something fierce again down the road because he just can't help himself.

Guys, I...I think this might be my fault. On Sunday, I made the mistake of saying that since it was only a week out, I didn't imagine anything would ruin one of the most anticipated fights of the year. I said it. I'm sorry! Now look what's happened. :( 

Update from Meltzer:

Dana White said this afternoon that Daniel Cormier will be fighting at UFC 200, and in speaking off the cuff, seemed to intimate Jon Jones may be in even more trouble than previously thought.

"There are tons of guys that are interested. We'll get a fight done," White said to Colin Cowherd on FS 1 today.

Later, White said Cormier would fight this weekend, would get the same money* as he would have against Jones, and that they hope to have the fight finalized and announced by the end of the day today.

*Cormier's money is based on a percentage, but the amount is expected to be lower since the number of buys will likely be lower.

Cormier had said he was willing to fight anyone up to 220 pounds, saying that because he's dropped so much weight he wasn't willing to fight a big heavyweight.

White nixed the talk of Michael Bisping, which would be the most marketable potential fight for storyline reasons.

"Bisping just won the 185 pound title," he said.  "Let me tell you what Bisping does in his off season.  When Bisping's not training, he goes on a bender. He's in no condition to fight Daniel Cormier. I promise you that. I don't even have to ask him."

Bisping was the third name after Gegard Mousasi and Tom Lawlor who publicly asked for the fight when word got out that Jones was off. He would make the most sense given it would create an historical champion vs. champion fight, and there is a storyline situation with Bisping having just beaten Luke Rockhold on June 4 to win the middleweight title.

Even if odds would be against it, it would make for a remarkable story if Bisping could win two titles on short notice.  In fact, if such a thing would happen, it would probably go down as something that would be a huge part of the history of the sport that would be talked about for decades as the perhaps the most remarkable feat in UFC history.

Mousasi was already scheduled to fight Thiago Santos on Saturday. For fighters who have trained and are in top condition, Mousasi is really the only choice, but there is no story built around that fight. Mousasi was to fight at middleweight, but has fought at heavyweight in the past and fought for years at light heavyweight.

Glover Teixeira said today it would be impossible for him to make weight to fight Cormier, but Alexander Gustafsson said he could make it and do the fight. In the case of the former, Teixeira is set to face Anthony Johnson later this summer in essentially a #1 contender's fight while Gustafsson and Cormier had a Fight of the Year candidate in 2015.

Onto the Jones story, White confirmed that Jones did not test positive for a recreational drug.

Also, when saying how it's virtually impossible the B sample will come back clean, White mentioned two different agents in the A sample test failure. It is possible testing positive for two agents could lead to a suspension longer than two years.

Yeah DC versus Anderson Silva is some whacky ass fight booking. I fucking love it! 

It would have been cool to have champ versus champ at UFC 200, though. 

Also I think I got the main event for today spoilt, and it's not a result I like :(

Should we put results in spoilers for this week, since theres so much news and still so much fights at the same time? 

1 hour ago, Benkid Nada said:

Yeah DC versus Anderson Silva is some whacky ass fight booking. I fucking love it! 

It would have been cool to have champ versus champ at UFC 200, though. 

Also I think I got the main event for today spoilt, and it's not a result I like :(

Should we put results in spoilers for this week, since theres so much news and still so much fights at the same time? 

Up to you guys to self police, not sure the consensus will be to put things in spoilers as I think a lot of people will just be watching on Saturday. If you want to avoid spoilers avoid the thread all together 

• Like 2

A show the calibre of this, might even warrant it's own thread, if every Raw can get it's own thread, the biggest MMA show in history probably deserves it's own thread too.