UFC News and Discussion Thread

Tate vs. Nunes is also the new(est) main event with Brock/Hunt co-main eventing and DC/Anderson third from the top. Probably because they want a title fight in the main event slot but "Amanda Nunes: Headliner of biggest MMA show in history" is a very weird statement.

• Like 1

I know I got shot down for saying this before and I expect the same crew to come in and do their thing again, but things really are different in the USADA era of the UFC. RDA  went from looking like a monster and fighting like a monster to looking normal and fighting like he didn't even belong in the same cage as a top 25 fighter, let alone someone like Eddie Alvarez. Alvarez dominated and destroyed him and it was great to watch. Alvarez comes off as such a nice guy, a very genuine person, and it was great too see him realize a dream.

DC vs. Silva is crazy. Talk about pulling a rabbit out of the hat. That said, it's kinda strange replacing Jones with a fighter who is not long coming off a lengthy suspension for failing a drug test. UFC best hope Silva passes his tests for this fight.

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

Fuck, definitely watching this now. For somebody who doesn't watch a lot of UFC, what's Silva's record since coming back from the broken leg? I'm sure I watched his return fight.

Not great, he won the first fight by Unanimous Decision, but it got overturned when he got popped (as did Diaz), and then he lost to Bisping in London, and that's it.

6 hours ago, Baddar said:

I checked wiki and didn't watch the Bisping fight but remember the uproar over it.

Not sure there was much of an uproar that I remember. I seem to believe that Bisping deserved the fight from what I remember watching.

8 hours ago, Vince Russo said:

I know I got shot down for saying this before and I expect the same crew to come in and do their thing again, but things really are different in the USADA era of the UFC. RDA  went from looking like a monster and fighting like a monster to looking normal and fighting like he didn't even belong in the same cage as a top 25 fighter, let alone someone like Eddie Alvarez. Alvarez dominated and destroyed him and it was great to watch. Alvarez comes off as such a nice guy, a very genuine person, and it was great too see him realize a dream.

DC vs. Silva is crazy. Talk about pulling a rabbit out of the hat. That said, it's kinda strange replacing Jones with a fighter who is not long coming off a lengthy suspension for failing a drug test. UFC best hope Silva passes his tests for this fight.

RDA loses one fight and he was definitely using something? Wow.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Liam said:

Not sure there was much of an uproar that I remember. I seem to believe that Bisping deserved the fight from what I remember watching.

It was a bit contentious, could've gone 48-47 either way, and Silva called it a fix. I agreed with the decision though.

Side note: Johnny Hendricks has missed weight again. Looked awful too. 

2 minutes ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

Can someone explain something to me? Do punches count more than takedowns to the judges? Or does it just depend on the judge? Because I kinda thought Roy Nelson won last night. I mean the Beast landed more punches but Nelson took him down like constantly

Think it depends on what you do with the takedown. Like if you just take a guy down and he gets up easy, it won't count for too much. Like I think that effective striking is valued more than a takedown unless you can advance position and do damage on the ground. I had it 29-28 to Lewis because his punching seemed to impact the fight more than Nelson's takedowns/grappling. 

He did, but he did absolutely nothing once he'd gotten Lewis down.

There has been a definite downturn in the performance's of Brazilians since USADA took over. I'm pretty sure this is the first time there hasn't been a Brazilian champion in UFC since at least 2006.

9 hours ago, Vince Russo said:

You can't base it on one fight though. If RDA goes another couple of fights and looks ordinary, fine, but you have a propensity to see someone have a bad fight and go "they must have been on PEDs before" you are taking 2 and 2 and making 7 out of it.

Alvarex is a much nicer dude nowadays, when he was in Bellator and thought his shit didn't stink he was a complete arse.

14 hours ago, Rich said:

You can't base it on one fight though. If RDA goes another couple of fights and looks ordinary, fine, but you have a propensity to see someone have a bad fight and go "they must have been on PEDs before" you are taking 2 and 2 and making 7 out of it.

Alvarex is a much nicer dude nowadays, when he was in Bellator and thought his shit didn't stink he was a complete arse.

I'm not basing it on one fight. I'm also not basing it solely on the nature of the fight. You'd know this if you paid proper attention to what I said, but I expect that from someone who goes straight for the hyperbole and doesn't even address the points being raised. It's like you and that other clique, and you may even be part of it, don't know how to handle a differing opinion and have to go straight on the attack rather then engage in a reasonable debate.

I'm basing it on both how they fight and how they look. For several fights before the Alvarez fight, RDA looked exactly the same physically. He was muscled and ripped, almost chiselled in places. RDA against Alvarez looked very different. The muscle mass was noticeably down, especially in the shoulders. The definition was noticeably down and he looked a lot less cut. RDA went from looking muscular and defined and somewhat ripped, to looking normal and in shape. it's the same change we've seen in a lot of fighters, most of them Brazilian funnily enough, You could call it a bad night but when RDA goes from being a solid but unspectacular fighter who looks in shape, to looking and fighting like a monster and looking ripped and then, in his first fight post-USADA, looking and fighting exactly like he did before his entire body changed, you'd have to be very naive not to think the enhanced drug testing had something to do with it, especially when, as mentioned, it's something we've seen from so many others.