UFC News and Discussion Thread

On 02/10/2016 at 15:53, Chris2K said:

What I don't understand is that is is completely apparent what gets Conor his shots ahead of everyone else, his charisma and willingness to put himself out there to make a name for himself to get opportunities, and yet still 99% of the UFC roster continue to just go along not doing anything to make them better known to the mainstream, waste their promo time after they win by saying they'll fight whoever they're told to, and then complain that someone who is doing these things is getting opportunities they're not. 

A lot of fighters, especially those with an amateur background, have a pure sports mentality where things like trash talking are considered wrong and something that you just don't do. And because they consider it wrong, they don't try to understand why it works, they just complain that it works and act like isn't necessary.

• Like 1

In wacky news WME-IMG has sold small portions of ownership in the UFC to celebrities, so the following people are now officially part-owners of the Ultimate Fighting Championship:

Abel Tesfaye (The Weekend)
Adam Levine (Maroon 5)
Anthony Kiedis and Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Ben Affleck
Calvin Harris
Cam Newton
Conan O’Brien
Guy Fieri
Jimmy Kimmel
Li Na
LL Cool J
Mark Walhberg
Michael Bay
Rob Dyrdek
Robert Kraft
Serena Williams
Sylvester Stallone
Tom Brady
Trey Parker (South Park)
Tyler Perry
Venus Williams

• Like 1

I'm actually surprised Vince McMahon hasn't purchased a piece of the UFC.

I thought for sure Hendo was going to take it when he hit both of those right hands but Bisping was able to recover well. Hendo doesn't have stamina to go five rounds all out, but man he can still pop that right hand out there no matter what round it is.

6 minutes ago, Forky said:

I'm actually surprised Vince McMahon hasn't purchased a piece of the UFC.

I thought for sure Hendo was going to take it when he hit both of those right hands but Bisping was able to recover well. Hendo doesn't have stamina to go five rounds all out, but man he can still pop that right hand out there no matter what round it is.

Which is funny because my favourite match from Hendo was him vs. Shogun Rua like 5 years ago. That was so bloody.

36 minutes ago, SlicedBread said:

Which is funny because my favourite match from Hendo was him vs. Shogun Rua like 5 years ago. That was so bloody.

Christ, I remember watching that war back then. It was truly like something out of the Pride mode of UFC 3, just utter carnage.

As expected Ronda Rousey will face Amanda Nunes for the UFC Bantamweight title on December 30.*

According to Dana if Rousey wins then it will be Rousey/Cyborg some time in 2017.

*That's also a Friday instead of a Saturday, Meltzer believes the unusual day could cause a 30% drop in buys. What a bizarre decision.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EddieG said:

I reckon a NYE show will have an even bigger drop.

If Rousey wins it'll be Cyborg next.. and where the fuck does that leave Peña?

I'd be absolutely shocked to see Rousey/Cyborg for the title (if Rousey defeats Nunes, which I expect her to). The title IMO won't play any part in that fight simply because Cyborg is already destroying her body making 140, the idea that she's going to suddenly make 135 next year seems slightly bizarre. The fight happens at catchweight if it happens.

Ronda deserves the title shot, not surprised that Pena is having a moan about it though. Pena shouldn't be getting a title shot right now anyway, she needs to take on another top contender IMO (Tate, Holm or Shevchenko). Would also like to see any of those three against Zingano next too.

Edited by Asuka's Gonna Kill You

Brock Lesnar's attorney is having tests done on eye medication and foot creams Lesnar used for clomiphene or clomiphene metabolites. It's also rumored that it may have been an asthma medication that caused his positive test. He's using an attorney who has been hired by a number of fighters before, with Jon Jones being one of the more prominent clients. 

I had no idea that WME-IMG were going to be so ruthless, but they've pretty much sliced through all the long-standing UFC executives from the Zuffa era including Garry Cook and Marshall Zelaznik to bring in their own guys.

I know it's business but most of the top people they've fired are the people who opened MMA up in places like Toronto, Australia and Europe and a little bit of loyalty wouldn't have gone amiss.

On October 13, 2016 at 06:47, Asuka's Gonna Kill You said:

I'd be absolutely shocked to see Rousey/Cyborg for the title (if Rousey defeats Nunes, which I expect her to). The title IMO won't play any part in that fight simply because Cyborg is already destroying her body making 140, the idea that she's going to suddenly make 135 next year seems slightly bizarre. The fight happens at catchweight if it happens.

Ronda deserves the title shot, not surprised that Pena is having a moan about it though. Pena shouldn't be getting a title shot right now anyway, she needs to take on another top contender IMO (Tate, Holm or Shevchenko). Would also like to see any of those three against Zingano next too.

If Rousey/Cyborg happens, I'm betting Ronda takes another long break afterwards. No way she beats Cyborg.

Edited by EndOfAnEra

16 hours ago, Gazz said:

Urijah Faber has announced his fight against Brad Pickett on 17th December will be his retirement fight.

Hope Pickett hangs up his gloves as well. Either way, Urijah has done more than enough in his career, definitely HOF-worthy, so it'll be nice to see him hopefully inducted next year (along with Hendo). He'd be the first under 155er to do so, I think.