UFC News and Discussion Thread

Good PPV....although I am Severely disappointed at Sylvia winning. He got fucking rocked, and while he did come back from that, the shot that took Andrei down was IMO pure luck. He caught him in the neck.

Ortiz/Griffin was really close, I hoestly thought they would call it a draw.

Tanner looked good tonight.

Stephan was on commentary for the Forrest match and was really pushing Girffin/Bonnar 2.

With Tito possibly hurt and out of the Shamrock fight......

Arlovski/Slyvia 3 and Griffin/Bonnar 2 would make a hell of a replacement card!!!

So nice to see the judges are back to sucking off Ortiz again. :rolleyes:

And it's good to see Sylvia back, although he beat my boy Arlovski. Roll on III I say.

I watched this PPV tonight, and man Forrest was ripped off tonight.

He shoulda won, and you can tell by everybody's faces in the crowd, that Forrest was the true winner. Even, Chuck was pissed off, more people was pissed off..

As for Sylvia, I don't like the guy. But I'll wait for Sylvia/Arlovski III, and this time, The Pitbull will take back the Championship.

From what I've heard from online reports it seems that Tito Ortiz was very lucky to get the decision. I do wonder whether the result would have been a draw or a Forrest win if it wasn't for Ortiz being the trainer for TUF. I mean, how weak would it have made the series look it Tito hadn't have beaten Forrest?

Personally, if there's a rematch between the two I'm hoping that it comes at a time when Ortiz isn't involved AT ALL with the TUF product. Unless that happens there will always be speculation surrounding the bout and that's not good for the sport.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching it over here in the UK. Sounds like a pretty decent show.

I've always been a fan of MFS. Hughes , Militech and Sylvia . I'm also a huge fan of Arloskvi so tonights matchup could have went anyway and I'd have been glad . Andre made a mistake though . He charged in blindly after knocking Sylvia back and sylvia was lucky enough to have his head on straight and fire a nice shot.

I'm came into the ppv thinking that Griffin would be dominated by Ortiz . But when the second round came I knew he'd make it go to judges decision. Sometimes Tito doesn't bother me but other times man he acts like a prick.

I hated the guy then i started watching TUF 3 and he seems nice. and stuff but tonight at the ppv he was cocky and all. He kept mentioning his inury a lot as well . I think a lot of his attitude is due to he's extremely comepetive. I have to give him credit though he sure knows how to train , he puts himself through hell training wise.

As far as future matchups . I'd Like to see

Liddell vs. Griffin

Liddell vs. Shamrock(in case Ortiz's injury is too severe)

Bonnar vs . Griffin

any variation of that would be great.

edit - Just because tito is involved in TUF3 doesn't mean he won it. Forest said it himself that when tito took him down in the third , that is what gave him the round.

I think if they would have went 5 rounds that Forest could have got the win cause he was getting pumped up by the 3rd round

Edited by Dochappy

Man, I'm bummed out that I missed this show. It sounds like it was a pretty damn good event, and I really wanted to see Griffin/Ortiz.

I honestly thought that Griffin was going to score the upset, but it appears that I was wrong. However, I'm not surprised he took Griffin to the wire, which says something for Forrest, to push a UFC great like Ortiz to the limit.

Ok, anybody who thinks the judges giving Ortiz a gift with the win either didn't see the fight or you're retarded. I'm not saying Tito won, but it was damn close and Tito did do enough to support his win, IMO. It was one of those fights that watching live seemed so damn close and the judges HAD to make a decision on the spot. Maybe going back and watching it a few more times you could come up with a more conclusive decision, but when it's that close and a decision needs to be decided upon, you can't blame the judges for anything.

I wouldn't have been surprised if Forrest got the win either, because he did withstand the Ortiz' onslaught in the guard during the majority of the first, he came back, won the standup (which was mostly off the mark or blocked, alot of it was sloppy, but gutsy and aggressive none the less), stopped almost every Ortiz takedown in the final two rounds, and defended as well as attacked well on his back at the end of the third. On the flipside, Tito dominated the first round with some nice ground n' pound, busted up Forrest over the left eye, stayed aggressive, landed some very nice counter shots in the stand up (which, BTW, were much more steady and accurate the most of Forrest's standup), scored some takedowns, continued with his shoot attempts throughout the fight (even if they were unsuccessful), IMO pushed much of the pace of the fight, and there is no doubt that final takedown played a big part on how the judges scored the last round. Also, it looked clear to me that Tito did more damage. Like I said, it was close, it could have gone either way, and regardless which fight won, both made a strong case that they did enough to win. And it can't be any fun judging a fight like that.

As for future match ups...

Well, if Tito's healthy, he's got Shammy next. After that, well, I dunno really. If Brandon Vera wants to move down to Light Heavy, you've got a potential fight there.

Forrest Griffin. It seems like Griffin vs. Bonnar II is the most likely, but really, I'd put Forrest in there with somebody he can warm up against first, put another win in his record before the big showdown with Stephan Bonnar. That's me, personally.

Clearly Babalu deserves a title shot more than any other LHW in UFC right now. He's like 10-0 since losing to Chuck in 2002, with the last three wins being in th UFC. C'mon, no other Light Heavy deserves a shot more than him right now. I'd personally be disapointed if he doesn't get it next.

The heavyweight picture is a confusing one right now. Personally, I'd go Arlovksi vs. Jeff Monson (who I assume is now that number one contender) with the winner getting a shot at the belt. Then it's up to the UFC who they put against Tim in his first title defense... NOT Frank Mir, the guy clearly needs some serious tuning up before they throw him back against Timmy or Arlovski. You got Paul Buentello out there who got flash KO'd by Arlovski (which I personally think was a better outcome then him getting dominated by AA because you always argue the AA landed that lucky one punch before the fight even really started), you got Brandon Vera, who dominated his first two fights but isn't sure if he wants to stay at HW or LHW, you got Marcio Cruz, you dominated Frank Mir, but doesn't deserve a title shot, especially coming off a loss, you could put Monson in there with him right away and have AA fight some other folk before getting another shot, or you could have the AA vs. Monson fight I proposed and have Tim hold out until he fights the winner of that bout. It's a really confusing picture really.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I had a lot of fun watching the show last night but I always have a lot of fun watching UFC. I was disapointed with the scoring for Ortiz/Griffin as I was sure Forrest had it in the bag. I knew he was in toruble once Eddie Bravo showed his score card as he almost always gets the scoring wrong. The main-event was a bit of a bust for me since it only lasted two and a half minutes. I hadn't seen Andre fight before so I was hoping to get a real good taste of him, instead I got next to nothing.

Forrest Griffin losing to Tito Ortiz is not a negative. Forrest showed he has the goods, and that he can hang with one of the best the UFC has to offer.

If Tito Ortiz had lost, however, that would have been huge. Tito would definitly have been knocked down a peg, and Griffin would probably be seen as a top competitor for the LHW Title.

• 4 weeks later...

The UFC confirmed what MMAWeekly.com has had up on our rumors page for a month about the upcoming UFC 60 card from Los Angeles, CA. The main event is of course headlined by Matt Hughes vs Royce Gracie.

UFC 60: MAY 27 IN LOS ANGELES, CA

-Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie

-Brandon Vera vs. Assuerio Silva

-Diego Sanchez vs. John Alessio

-Joe Riggs vs. Mike Swick

-Jeremy Horn vs. Chael Sonnen

-Alessio Sakara vs. Dean Lister

-Melvin Guillard vs. Rick Davis

-Spencer Fisher vs. Leonard Garcia

-Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Fabiano Scherner

credit: MMA Weekly

According to Meltzer, due to Ticketmaster giving 30% off all tickets for this event, that it is not selling too well. Didn't they expect this to be a huge show? This cannot be good news.

--Ticketmaster has 30% off all tickets for the 5/27 UFC show at the Staples Center, which is an update that tickets are not selling well. For more info you can go to www.ticketmaster.com/channe_partner/?brand=tmdeal

As a BJJ man, I mark for the Gracies every time they step into the Octagon/ring, and regardless of how insanely difficult it's going to be, I will wet myself if Royce can sneak a hold in somewhere and make Hughes tap. Not because I don't like Hughes, he's a damn good fighter, but because I want to see a Gracie win for myself (being low on funds means few tapes/DVDs. Do have the Ultimate Submissions one though).