Major League Baseball 2010

Toe

Jimenez was only able to throw the no-no because sahyder did not come in here and jinx him. :P

I would have if I was home. I was at a b-day party for a 6 year old cousin. I missed this game and the Mets. For some bizzarre reason I am a big fan of MLB games that go on for an insane amount of innings. I was actually sitting at the birthday party refreshing my phone every few minutes tracking the Mets game. I didn't find out that Jimenez was throwing a no-hitter until he was headed for the 9th. Haven't seen highlights from either game either.

Jimenez was only able to throw the no-no because sahyder did not come in here and jinx him. :P

I would have if I was home. I was at a b-day party for a 6 year old cousin. I missed this game and the Mets. For some bizzarre reason I am a big fan of MLB games that go on for an insane amount of innings. I was actually sitting at the birthday party refreshing my phone every few minutes tracking the Mets game. I didn't find out that Jimenez was throwing a no-hitter until he was headed for the 9th. Haven't seen highlights from either game either.

There were no highlights in the Mets game, unless you consider the Cards having two position players pitch as potential highlights. As far as the no-no, you've got to see the catch Dexter Fowler made in CF to preserve it in the 7th or 8th inning. It's not quite up to par with the CF catch that saved Buerhle's perfecto last year but it's still worth seeing.

There were no highlights in the Mets game, unless you consider the Cards having two position players pitch as potential highlights. As far as the no-no, you've got to see the catch Dexter Fowler made in CF to preserve it in the 7th or 8th inning. It's not quite up to par with the CF catch that saved Buerhle's perfecto last year but it's still worth seeing.

Just caught it on Sportscenter. Very impressive catch in Fowler....there always seems to be one of those in no-hitters. As for the Mets game...what can I say. I just love National League Baseball. I'm an Angels fan who lives in NJ but given the choice between watching the Yankees or Mets every night I chose to watch the Mets. Every lineup move has so much more impact than an American League game. I guess you can say I like the chess match aspect of it. Like I mentioned before I love these crazy extra inning games because of the strategic implications of it. Adam Rubin of ESPNNY.com wrote a fantastic piece last night talking about the questionable moves LaRussa made and how if Manuel had them he would've been destroyed in NY. I understand saving your backup catcher but letting a pitcher bat twice in bases loaded situations in extra innings is leaving yourself open to second guessing. Hats off to Yadier Molina....caught all 20 innings. If you have him on your fantasy baseball teams...sit him today as there is no way he will get the start. In one of my fantasy baseball leagues I actually have both Reyes and Francouer so that 0-14 stung a little. Hats off to Pelfrey for the save. He had thrown 70 something pitchers earlier in the day since it was his throw day. People are going to call WFAN talking about K-Rod blowing the save but I can't blame him at all. He had been up and down all night in the bullpen warming up and probably had thrown over 100 pitches in the bullpen. Who doesn't live when position players pitch? I wonder what LaRussa was thinking for the next inning? I wonder if he was going to go back to Lopez to pitch or stick with Mather.

LaRussa gets away with retarded shit simply because he's Tony LaRussa. This is a guy who has batted pitchers 8th because he thinks having a #9 hitter gives him two lead off guys once the lineup has turned over. If anyone else thought that made sense everyone would bat their pitchers 8th in the NL. Having two position players pitch, two pitchers bat and his starting catcher squat through a 7 hour game when he has a sub on the bench would get ANY other manager crucified, but someone will spin it that LaRussa's thought processes are on a higher level and that making "gutsy" calls like that define his genius.

• Like 1

LaRussa gets away with retarded shit simply because he's Tony LaRussa. This is a guy who has batted pitchers 8th because he thinks having a #9 hitter gives him two lead off guys once the lineup has turned over. If anyone else thought that made sense everyone would bat their pitchers 8th in the NL. Having two position players pitch, two pitchers bat and his starting catcher squat through a 7 hour game when he has a sub on the bench would get ANY other manager crucified, but someone will spin it that LaRussa's thought processes are on a higher level and that making "gutsy" calls like that define his genius.

Like Manuel said....the man has his rings so he can make those calls. You can't really argue much against his resume. Duncan is a big part of it but LaRussa's won enough to get away with stuff like that.

I should add though that I'm actually a fan of pitcher batting 8th given the right group of guys.

Yeah, the pitcher batting 8th has actually come in handy on many occasions and he only does it when he thinks it'll work. He hasn't even done it this year at all.

And for the record, other teams have done it before. The Brewers did it a ton a couple years ago.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The Jays were in a 13-inning game against Texas last year, but the bullpen had mostly been used up already...if it went on another inning, it looked like an infielder (Hill?) was going to pitch and Shawn Marcum was going to come in and play SS.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Another example of bizarre pitcher use from Toronto: Dave Stieb (drafted as an outfielder until he realized he was a better pitcher) was used as a pinch-runner twelve times in his career and even got an at-bat in 1980.

And if I could find it, here is where I would post the photo of Todd Stottlemyre busting open his chin while trying to steal third in the 1993 World Series. <_<

Another example of bizarre pitcher use from Toronto: Dave Stieb (drafted as an outfielder until he realized he was a better pitcher) was used as a pinch-runner twelve times in his career and even got an at-bat in 1980.

And if I could find it, here is where I would post the photo of Todd Stottlemyre busting open his chin while trying to steal third in the 1993 World Series. <_<

Pitchers pinch run all the time in the NL. Even during "normal" games.

The Jays were in a 13-inning game against Texas last year, but the bullpen had mostly been used up already...if it went on another inning, it looked like an infielder (Hill?) was going to pitch and Shawn Marcum was going to come in and play SS.

Ever seen footage of the game when Jose Canseco played for the Rangers and ended up pitching against the Red Sox? Twasn't pretty. (Was only a few days after the incident where a ball bounced off his head for a home run)

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Ever seen footage of the game when Jose Canseco played for the Rangers and ended up pitching against the Red Sox? Twasn't pretty. (Was only a few days after the incident where a ball bounced off his head for a home run)

Oh non-pitchers pitching happens a bit more often (Frank Catalanotto, Craig Kusick, Bob Bailor all come to mind as Toronto examples)...but how often does a non-pitcher pitch and get replaced at his original position by a pitcher?

Last year on the Red Sox, Javier Lopez was yanked from the mound and switched with the right fielder - Jonathan Van Every.

I remember Dave McCarthy, who was a 1B, getting several pitching appearances one year for the Sox too.

Nick Green also threw two innings in a game last year, though he's normally a SS.

Mets fans looks like Mike Francesa and a large chunk of Mets fans win out. It is looking like 1B prospect Ike Davis will be called up in time for tomorrow's game. The Mets designated Jacobs for assignment so they could call up a relief pitcher for tonight's game. I like the move for the Mets. This will energize the fan base and I would expect a large walk up crowd for the Mets tomorrow night. Of course this could just be that Daniel Murphy is ready to be activated off the DL but I don't think they would have dumped Jacobs if it was just Murphy. The immortal Frank Catalanotto is batting clean up and playing 1B tonight.

Speaking of Francesa, great news for NYC area baseball fans. Peter Gammons is joining his show as a regular paid baseball analyst for his show joining Jon Heyman and Steve Phillips (as along as they keep him away from talking about the Mets......and away from girls young enough to be his daughter!)

• Like 1

hey let's not forget jpoe blantons homerun in the world series...

Naiwf, Are you one of those Mets fans who wanted Ike Davis up? The kid had a great spring and is off to a great start in AAA.

Yes. It's not like the team was going to make the playoffs considering we have an ace, a closer and nothing in between as far as pitching goes. Daniel Murphy isn't the longterm answer at first base, and neither was Mike Jacobs. If you're going to have another losing season you may as well give the "kids" like Davis, Tejada and Mejia their first big league experience now so you can see if they're going to be part of the team next year, or if they need more time in the minors. It's only April 19th and it's already time to think about unloading veterans and retooling in the offseason since Manuel and Minaya will be gone long before the 4th of July and the Mets will be all but mathematically eliminated by then as well.

Naiwf, Are you one of those Mets fans who wanted Ike Davis up? The kid had a great spring and is off to a great start in AAA.

Yes. It's not like the team was going to make the playoffs considering we have an ace, a closer and nothing in between as far as pitching goes. Daniel Murphy isn't the longterm answer at first base, and neither was Mike Jacobs. If you're going to have another losing season you may as well give the "kids" like Davis, Tejada and Mejia their first big league experience now so you can see if they're going to be part of the team next year, or if they need more time in the minors. It's only April 19th and it's already time to think about unloading veterans and retooling in the offseason since Manuel and Minaya will be gone long before the 4th of July and the Mets will be all but mathematically eliminated by then as well.

I agree on calling up Ike Davis. I would like to see them call up Tejada and put him at 2B too and see if you get a bullpen arm for Castillo. I like Tejada a lot for some reason. I know he's off to a slow start in AAA but watching him you get the sense that he will be a decent major leaguer. I don't understand why the Mets have Parnell in AAA. He should be up in the majors right now or at the very least starting in AAA. Mejia should be in AAA starting right now so they can call him up as a starting pitcher in May or so. I'm never going to call anyone out after 12 games but yeah, they needed to do something to energize the fan base. As I have mentioned before I am not a Mets fan but I like rooting for them just because how much I hate the Yankees and their fans. Davis, Wright, Reyes, F-Mart has the potential to be a very good nucleus for the next 8 years.

I agree on calling up Ike Davis. I would like to see them call up Tejada and put him at 2B too and see if you get a bullpen arm for Castillo. I like Tejada a lot for some reason. I know he's off to a slow start in AAA but watching him you get the sense that he will be a decent major leaguer. I don't understand why the Mets have Parnell in AAA. He should be up in the majors right now or at the very least starting in AAA. Mejia should be in AAA starting right now so they can call him up as a starting pitcher in May or so. I'm never going to call anyone out after 12 games but yeah, they needed to do something to energize the fan base. As I have mentioned before I am not a Mets fan but I like rooting for them just because how much I hate the Yankees and their fans. Davis, Wright, Reyes, F-Mart has the potential to be a very good nucleus for the next 8 years.

...and Jason Bay! Your stuck with him for awhile!