ROCK MUSIC IS DEAD

METALMAN

I liked this topic better when it was me and metalman making Neil Young jokes.

To bring it back to that, I'm running a search now to see if his mining for a heart of gold credentials check out.

I very much doubt tonight is actually the night either.

• Like 2

In terms of sales and things, I'm surprised "pop" hasn't been outselling "rock" singles for years - but how on earth do you define "pop" in the first place? Surely it's an ever-changing definition? Surely it becomes "pop" by the amount it sells anyway? And when does it become rock? When somebody plays a guitar? It's a pretty tricky idea to verify.

And "rock" still sells out stadiums and tours and festivals - because that's where the money's at. The recorded music industry's struggling, largely because of illegal downloading and whatnot, but you can't download an experience, and you can't download a T-shirt, so they make their money playing live and selling merch at shows - that's why you see so many old bands reforming and going back on tour.

Creatively, though? Rock music's been dead for years. As a genre it's not been genuinely innovative for decades, and the most interesting changes to modern music has been happening elsewhere, but the entire record industry establishment is built on white rock acts, so they'll always get the most attention.

• Like 1

I agree with the sentiment that rock music isn't dead - it merely makes it's money from live appearances. Albums do still sell, and not that badly I must add, but there are a few factors that I think have contributed to the way things are.

Firstly, rock singles are all but pointless as rock fans don't care for charts (that much), and aren't as fussed about having 'that one song' at that moment - the album is better value for money.

Secondly, regards album sales. There are probably two reasons why these aren't as high as they used to be - 1) Downloads (legal & illegal) and 2) Saturation of the market. Downloads (especially of the less than legal kind) have made it all too easy for people to grab a discography, let alone an album. With regards the latter point, there is such a wide variety of bands covering so many sub-genres these days that people aren't always going to stick to just buying the new U2 album, etc. The public don't have limitless wealth and are spreading it out more thinly over a greater variety of music. In a related point, with their being a much greater variety of music (let alone in Rock, Metal, etc) you are spoilt for choice - there are loads more bands on the scene.

So yeah, rock isn't dead - it just changed it's business model.

• Like 2

A couple of programmes I've seen actually show that people who download illegally actually buy more music than those who don't, I wish people would stop solly pointing at piracy as the sole reason the industry's failing.

And you can totally buy knock-off t-shirts outside of most gigs, sure it's not downloading a t-shirt, but I doubt that money's going anywhere near the band.

A couple of programmes I've seen actually show that people who download illegally actually buy more music than those who don't, I wish people would stop solly pointing at piracy as the sole reason the industry's failing.

There's pretty much no way of proving that, though, is there? And, frankly, I don't really see any bigger causes than piracy - it's probably not the only one, but it's the biggest problem. Legal downloading's a problem, too, though as people just download one or two tracks rather than buying an entire album. I know dozens of people who look at me like I've just come from Mars or something when I tell them that I spend most of my money on CDs - illegal downloading has been so normalised that people don't even see the point in buying music any more.

And you can totally buy knock-off t-shirts outside of most gigs, sure it's not downloading a t-shirt, but I doubt that money's going anywhere near the band.

Well, yeah, there will always be bootleggers, and none of that money goes to the band, but at festivals and the like you're always going to get official merchandise sellers, and that kind of thing is a more reliable source of income than singles these days.

Edited by Skummy

Sousa, old man, take a look at my life. I'm a lot like you were ({)

Oh and guys, I was thinking that maybe I'd get a maid, just someone to keep my house clean fix my meals and go away... Any ideas?

Rock music isn't dead, it's just not really all that relevant, but I think this time period is similar to the 80's. It's clear pop and dance music is what people are consuming (as well as hip-hop and r&b) and there are lots of indie acts (I use the term loosely) doing cool and interesting things, similar to the 80's. People need to quit worrying - rock music will come back with something cool and new.

• Like 2

Well, there's Testament's new stuff but apparently I'm the only person who thought it was good...

Hm. Iced Earth, Six Feet Under, Slayer of course (World Painted Blood was a really hit or miss album though...), and a really underrappreciated band called Cage.

But that's really the more mainstream stuff... well except maybe Cage...

There is plenty of good thrash metal, and I'd like to add to your list, a new breed of bands. Bands like Municipal Waste, Toxic Holocaust, Skeletonwitch, Gama Bomb, and Witchtrap are good examples of newer bands rocking out. I will say that none of these bands will ever be huge mainstream acts, but they all draw good crowds and continue to release excellent records. They're not exactly reinventing the wheel, but for people that enjoy fast, heavy metal they are as good as anything produced in the 80s, the height of trash metal.

Besides, Motorhead continues to exist and release records. Rock isn't dead until Lemmy decides it is.

In the mainstream rock isn't relevant anymore, but rock will never die. As long as kids continue to pick up guitars and emulate their heros, rock will never die. That goes for all genres of rock.

Rock music isn't dead, it's just not really all that relevant, but I think this time period is similar to the 80's. It's clear pop and dance music is what people are consuming (as well as hip-hop and r&b) and there are lots of indie acts (I use the term loosely) doing cool and interesting things, similar to the 80's. People need to quit worrying - rock music will come back with something cool and new.

This is very well said.

Edited by VerbalPuke
  • Like 2

That's the beautiful thing about Rock music though, it is and always has been at it's creative best when it's been at it's commerical lowest. Most of the best rock releases have been commercial also-rans.

As for the piracy thing, it's a non-starter. People are buying more music now than at any time pre-CD boom and the CD boom was largely caused by years of people rebuying their back catelogues on the new format. The big difference is that people now have so many ways to buy such a range of music that the headline sales are not ther anymore, it's more spread out over different artists (wider choice) and timespans (you can now buy any track released in the last 5 years today instead of only for 6 weeks in Woolworths).

• Like 1

Rock N Roll Will Never Die!

If you think about it, this has happened with everything every once in a while, i'd say around '94, or '95 Rap (the better version than it is now) was HUGE! then Country some how magically managed to get big, and then in early 2000's Rock got it again... depends on what bands are here and which ones aren't... Sad though, i dont think we'll ever get even close to the likes of ACDC ;KISS; Guns n Roses; Nirvana ;RHCP (red hot chilli peppers for those who dont know) ; Metalica; Queen; ECT... Good thing is now we younger ones have Rockband and guitar hero to introduce us to these Godly bands... witch makes us want to play and be like them... witch with effort and practice creates a legendary band...

And i cant stand these new Pop and Rap people most of their voices are tweaked somehow!! Listen to ACDC on recording or on track, one of the only differences is the crowd, same with Queen! i would respect the genre if it wasnt a bunch of fake voices and no real instrumental talents (not saying all do this)

I've always found learning about history of music and Rock N Roll, and my dad always know about it (or i'd be google.gifing everyday xD xD).... ANYWAY!!! Rock N Roll will never die no matter how many bullets are shot at it :)

EDIT: did that make cents or just look like bunches of rambling xD laugh.gif

Edited by KingZombeh
  • Like 1

I know this probably isn't worth it.....but are you fucking serious? The mid-90s were one of "rock music"'s most successful periods, commercially. All of the bands you listed were at their most successful at different times, kind of counteracting your "close to the likes of..." argument, and if you think there was no post-production on AC/DC and Queen records you're a fucking idiot.

And personally, I'd say it's the likes of Guitar Hero and Rock Band that are the nails in the coffin if anything.