Smackdown vs Raw 2011

jrtdot

All they've said about Story Designer is that they've upped the CAW appearances, but they haven't said how much, which probably means not much.

As for No Mercy, a better season mode than the last 5 Smackdown games isn't saying much. The game is painfully slow, especially with four characters on screen, the gameplay is still pretty good, but doesn't hold a candle to Fire Pro (which is timeless), it's ass ugly, and of course, there's the bug that can wipe out your entire game. The only reason people still pine for No Mercy is because nobody's done anything that great since. The Smackdown series, despite having a few shining moments, generally sucks, Impact sucked, and no one played Fire Pro, so that's about it in terms of our choices for wrestling games.

No Mercy was great ten years ago, and I'd love it if they re-released it with an updated roster and expanded options on XBL or PSN, but it's not the gold standard it once was, it only continues to shine because it's in a sea of shit.

My favorite season mode was Smackdown 2 personally. I enjoyed the weird and random cut scenes, and the ranking system for the title belts. My only problem was that title matches were infrequent and freaking Grandmaster Sexay always won with the simmed matches. I also liked that every show was a full card, it helped add to the feel of it being a real event.

If the WWE universe thingy is similar to this, which it sounds like it is, then I'll be happy with that.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Guest jaywhyte

My favorite season mode was Smackdown 2 personally. I enjoyed the weird and random cut scenes, and the ranking system for the title belts. My only problem was that title matches were infrequent and freaking Grandmaster Sexay always won with the simmed matches. I also liked that every show was a full card, it helped add to the feel of it being a real event.

If the WWE universe thingy is similar to this, which it sounds like it is, then I'll be happy with that.

Was that the one where the wrestlers had energy levels or whatever? IDK...there was one where every once in a while you'd get an upset like you said Grandmaster Sexay beating Triple H. The belts swapped hands pretty frequently when they were on the line if I remember correctly.

^^^

This, a million times this. Hell, I'd be happy if they just re-released Smackdown 2, with an updated roster and updated match types to accomodate more characters on screen at once.

Though, as you say, if WWE Universe mode is like SD2's season mode and ranking system then that'd be swell.

A reason I like No Mercy so much is that the gameplay felt more like it connected. When I hit someone with the ring bell it actually felt like it hit the person in the head. With the Smackdown games I never really got that feeling. The Smackdown games blew No Mercy out of the water graphically and with the amount of features and options, but I eventually got bored with basically the same game every year with only an updated roster.

Im hoping having stayed away from any wrestling games since the original SDvsRAW that it will be a good enough breath of fresh air. From the looks of it, it seems like they are finally getting some shit right, i.e. fixing the HIAC after how many years. They just need to make a new animation for putting something through the top of the cell now instead of using the one that they made all the way back when the HIAC was introduced.

With the CAF and online mode, and the way I HOPE the WWE Universe pans out, I'm leaning towards disappointment not being an option, even if the gameplay hasn't improved since SDvsRAW.

All they've said about Story Designer is that they've upped the CAW appearances, but they haven't said how much, which probably means not much.

They upped it to so many CAW's in one story but unlimited uses of them.

Which means I'll actually use the mode this year.

Guest jaywhyte

I believe it's 15 CAW's max, but unlimited usage within the story.

you just mean 15 CAW's max for story mode right!?!?

And like 60 probably again total...?

At least I hope thats what you mean otherwise I'm gonna be a little ticked...

Hurricane and Ricky Steamboat were both confirmed on Cory Ledesma's Twitter. Realy happy out Steamboat, hope it's 2009 Steamboat though, playing the legends who looked completely different (IE Bret Hart) against 2010 superstars always feels weird to me. Ad for Hurricane, it's a nice addition. Hope the Burchills are in though :blush:

EDIT: They should be, according to Wiki both Paul and Hurricane were released on the same day

Edited by Ty123

• Admin

Hurricane and Ricky Steamboat were both confirmed on Cory Ledesma's Twitter. Realy happy out Steamboat, hope it's 2009 Steamboat though, playing the legends who looked completely different (IE Bret Hart) against 2010 superstars always feels weird to me. Ad for Hurricane, it's a nice addition. Hope the Burchills are in though :blush:

EDIT: They should be, according to Wiki both Paul and Hurricane were released on the same day

It was confirmed by a fake Twitter account as I understand it sadly.

Guest jaywhyte

yeah I agree...Wrestlemania 3 Steamboat or Bret in the 90's against current day wrestlers just isn't fun. It'd be more interesting if they put more legends into the game but I guess that's what CAW's are for. 95 overall Hitman against a 92 overall Triple H when you know IRL the Hitman can barely walk...

Guest jaywhyte

How sad is your life that you'd create a fake Cory Ledesma Twitter account?

i picture the kid from Robot Chicken whenever I think of things like this :lol: i cant recall his name but hes an original character with a lisp >_<

Has there been a detailed explanation on how the Universe mode will work yet, or just the "decisions you make will alter what happens in and out of the ring" sort of stuff?

As for that cheevo above, I would guess it would mean playing as a CAW in a MITB match and then after winning, playing in another match for one of the World Titles then opting to "cash in" as your guy is listed as the holder - that is, of course, if the Universe thing is just a deeper exhibition mode like I suspect.