Elder Scrolls V: Skeerim

apsham

Oh, I didn't even see an 'examine' button. I just scrolled to 'golden claw', rotated the image a bit and squinted at it to see what the animals were >_>.

Beforehand I thought it was a food chain or something. Not that I'm aware of Owls eating Butterfly's only to get eaten by a bear >_>.

I had no idea of that. I have spent the entire game thinking it was something stupid thrown in to drag the game out and have tried every combination. I also did the whole 'animals on the walls or what the pictures may indicate' thing. Now I feel really stupid.

So I've just started out, killed a few guys, a few wolves and a deer. Motherfucker wouldn't stay still and I used about 10 arrows trying to take it down :(. The game is alright so far, lots to do and lots to see, fighting is a bit clunky but I'll get over it. Any tips on what I should level up early on? I'm currently only doing sneaking and archery really, although some close combat has factored in to my game play.

Is magic vital?

You can pick the arrows you use back when you loot the corpse,

Tried to kill a wooly mammoth, got fucked over big time.

So I'm on my way to do a mission for the companions because they seem like a bunch of nice guys, and I like nice guys. So we're gonna get this piece of blade or something, but I need to stop by fort something for a tour. Turns out they don't like me so they start shooting me. I kill everyone, then clear out the prison and the house itself and continue on my way to meet up with Falkir or whatever his name is. And I see a big wooly mammoth! This obviously excites me because some girl in winterrun wanted a bit of mammoth. I figure these docile creatures shouldn't cause me any harm so I try and arch them from a million miles away.

Turns out they don't like being arched so they make a beeline for me. Howls for two more but they're pretty big, hardly gonna sneak up on me. I continue to attack said mammoth only for it to chase me up a hill (into another area where everyone dislikes me, but I run away since I'm busy making mammoths extinct). I climb this rock and it kinda just chills there staring at me as I launch arrow after arrow at it. I wonder why it's stopped and look around for a better place to attack only to get SMASHED by a wooly mammoth that fucking flanked me!

It flanked me! Bastard.

So I run away because these damn animals are smarter than me and take far too long to die. But I have to sneak around the back of a tower so those guys dont see me and attack. So I do this and then guess what? A fucking Sabre Tooth attacks me and murderises me with ease, despite being on fire and being slashed with a great big sword about three times.

I love and hate this game at the same time.

• Like 3

Man I love this game.

2nd playthrough and this time I decided I'd venture over to city's/places that I didn't explore previously and the amount of new encounters I have been having is mind boggling. Markarth is a fascinating city could anyone let me know if

Is there more to the Forsworn trying to take over Markarth story? I just broke out of jail with their help and the forsworn cut past the guards and left am I supposed to track them down or anything?

Edited by The Future

Yeah, every claw and other combination puzzle can be figured out fairly easily.

There's an actual in-game explanation for this for those interested:

The puzzles aren't to keep treasure hunters out, but rather to keep draugr in

Also, ran into an odd glitch recently while mucking about in the Mage College. As I was heading out of the College, an Elder Dragon flew into combat range. After chasing the bastard around as he kept switching from attacking by the college and attacking Winterhold proper, it decided to perch itself on the upper balcony over the Hall of Attainment. So I went into the Hall to fight it in the Balcony...

And end up being shunted over the edge and to my death.

Luckily I was able to reload to when I went inside and take another way up.

By the way...

If you run into a guy called Sam Guieneve(sp) who challenges you to a drinking contest, DO IT! It's the start of a quest where the reward is a really awesome unique staff.

I actually have that quest. Might do it next.

I just did the quest with the talking dog, which was fun. My next aim is to be Thane of all the provinces, which didn't seem too hard, until Solitude told me I needed to buy a house 25000 Gold.

Welp, I'll be Thane of everywhere BUT Solitude then <_<

Also, will spamming Iron Daggers or Iron Armor be easier to up my Smithing?

Yeah I'm going to make sure to spam these Iron Daggers from now on, sounds like it's almost as easy as the Leather Gauntlets were. I like how Bethesda changed the way Smithing levels because of how exploitable it was and then wound up with people hastily finding a new way to exploit. Just give it up guys!

Yeah, it's very easy to just not use the exploit. I didn't, I only smithed with materials I found naturally during game play, unless there was something specific I wanted to equip, I never smithed just for the purpose of buying more materials to smith with. I got it up to 100 eventually, mostly making gold necklaces and rings with gemstones and transmute.

The amount that smithing something raises the skill is based on the value of the item. It can still be done with iron daggers but it takes a ton of them now. Like thousands of daggers. It's something like 30 daggers for one level at higher levels. You're better off using transmute and creating jewelry.

BTW: Banish enchantment + iron daggers = win :D

To be honest, I've only ever played the Elder Scrolls games after beating Morrowind the first time one way: console commands all the fucking way. Let's not kid ourselves, these game's stories are never really THAT good. And I don't feel like I'm losing anything by not 'earning' my levels, because barely anything is based on skill. And the story is not good enough for me to get involved in the progression of my character--or at least the progression doesn't play into the story in a significant way, in my mind. There's a few really cool side-quests, but the combat is fucking ass. The combat is TERRIBLE. And it comes down to numbers, not player skill. So, sorry I can't be assed to get my smithing up to get good weapons because it takes fucking hours and I'd rather just go run around the mountains half-naked, fighting bears with awesome swords, or better yet, my fucking fists. Because that's fucking cool. If the game came down to player skill, then I'd care more about exploiting the system. But it doesn't, so I don't. It's not like Dark Souls, where a mis-timed attack, or a bad roll, will kill you. Yes, shit equipment will kill you in Dark Souls, but it is often down to your own fault that you die in that game. In Skyrim, it's because the other dude is more powerful and that's often that. Or you're playing on a really hard difficulty level, where the more powerful dude is even more powerful.

It's not like you need skill to smith. You just need to grind it out for a while. You don't need skill to do a whole lot in Skyrim. I play Skyrim because I love exploring. I love seeing massive creatures and fucking them up. So I use console commands, and I fuck shit up, and have fun, and still enjoy the good quests when they come up. Not because of how hard they are, but because I met interesting characters, and saw badass enemies and locations.

People bitching about the exploits? Fuck off. Let people play how they wanna play.

Edited by Will? Yum.

The amount that smithing something raises the skill is based on the value of the item. It can still be done with iron daggers but it takes a ton of them now. Like thousands of daggers. It's something like 30 daggers for one level at higher levels. You're better off using transmute and creating jewelry.

BTW: Banish enchantment + iron daggers = win :D

Like that, but I thought it was even more than before.

People bitching about the exploits? Fuck off. Let people play how they wanna play.

So, I am guilty, I have to admit. I wanted a magic character who had 100 enchanting before really even starting to work on my magic, so I got 100 speech (through grinding an exploit), put points into speech to where I could invest into a shop, and invested in the one in Riverwood that's glitched so that if you give him 500 gold, instead of having an extra 1000 when you go to sell he has 10,000 gold. Then I worked my way up to level 22, found a "banish" enchant item in a shop (which took about 2 hours), disenchanted it, created about 400 iron daggers and enchanted them all at the mages college (Took multiple trips, but done with nothing else in my inventory) with Banish and sold them to the shopkeeper in Riverwood. The gold value of that enchantment pays for materials and filled soul gems, of which you can buy in a fair amount in the hall of countenance if you go at night when 3-4 of the shopkeepers are there sleeping. Took me something like 6 hours in total, but I managed to get to 100 enchanting and THEN I started to work on my magic skills. Yeah, its cheap, and I admit it. Especially since the first thing I did was create multiple outfits for spells so I never have to use any magicka again. But I also have like 6 other characters that I played fair or mostly fair on :P

Although running around with 100k+ gold on me is kind of nice, I will say. Pretty much the only character I've abused the crap out of glitches with.

Edited by jase12881

Yeah I'm 100 in smithing now, and iron Daggers aren't the way to go any more. My main choice now was to spam Glass Battleaxes and make whatever else I could besides that with whatever Ingots I could get.

Now I'm hunting the countryside looking for Dragons. I'm gonna get Dragon Scale Armor, and I don't care how long it takes <_<