Elder Scrolls V: Skeerim

apsham

Thieves guild is a blast, but nothing tops Dark Brotherhood.

Aye, can't wait for those either. Probably gonna do them after Thieves Guild.

Anyone know the deal with the Jarl Law-Giver (Riften Jarl) and how I can start doing quests for her? Want more Thane titles >_>.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

I can't decide whether to join the Stormcloaks or the Imperial Legion. On the one hand I feel like I should honour my heritage as a proud Nord. On the other hand, Ulfrik seems like a bit of a twat. Does your decision actually affect the game much, or am I just better off ignoring both of them as I'm currently doing?

Played a bit more of Skyrim, and it got better. I still wouldn't say that it's anything amazing in terms of gameplay, but from a pure world achievement, Skyrim is a beautiful and epic landscape, and I've barely just scratched the surface. I just got to...

... meeting with the Greybeards. On the way up the mountain, I came across a troll who absolutely wrecked me within seconds. Lesson learned - this is not a game that sends you to places and allows you to beat everything first time, and there's nothing wrong with running away!

I loved the fact that my horse helped me in battles until that troll came along, the fact that it ran away rather than helping should have been my indicator that I should follow suit.

Got a lot of quests built up, but I'm focusing on the main one at the moment, I figure whilst I've got momentum on my side that I'll stick with it until I feel like I need something different.

I went with a female Nord. I modelled the character after my first Dragon Age: Origins heroine - Ellisa. Short red hair, black lips, scar near the eye, built for heavy hitting physical double handed combat. Decided to have a small change and called her just "Lisa" for short in this one. I was going to be a Khajit, but I figured that the game is essentially built around the Nords since it's their region, so my first play through should be with them.

I can't decide if I love the archery or not. It seems well done, but you can't get any serious damage before an enemy is in your face about 2/3 of the time. Hoping that there's some arrows of effect soon that might make the mechanic worth investing time into.

The Skyrim landscape is wonderful. Go north and it gets incredibly bleak with icebergs, frozen wastes and snow everywhere. Go south and it almost looks quite warm - beautiful grassy valleys, trees and rocky outcrops. I love the land, it's lovely, lovely.

You're all wrong though. The best missions were the love missions for Mara - The Book of Love. I felt wonderfully at peace going around sorting out relationship problems and handing out leaflets advertising the church.

Yeah I think from the shack at the bottom of where I started the climb, up through the wooden slops across the river took at least half a day in-game. Then I camped out for the night, crossed the river and onto the big mountain itself, another few in-game hours up to the main snow line and then a long, long trudge up, higher and higher, to the summit. Reaaally epic.

I couldn't find the fucking stairs for the longest time. I had put it off for ages, to the point I was level 52 or something when I made the climb. By the time I found them I didn't really give three fucks about the scenery.

Also am I the only one who will jump and run diagonally up mountains as a shortcut/way to get constantly lost?

• Like 2

I think you get some sort of stats boost for a period for doing it as it says 'rested' or 'well rested' depending on how long you sleep for, similar to when you give a beggar a coin and get the charity thingo.

Only time I sleep is when people tell me I look weird or like I need a rest, but they still seem to say it. I don't know what it means but it hurts my feelings.

• Like 1

Do I need to use the rest mechanic for something? I don't seem to have seen any ill effects from not using it, I just assumed it was to make time pass so that you didn't have to wait around for certain quests to appear.

waiting will restore health/magic/stamina, while resting does same with a small boost.

Basically what CSAMH said.

My three big pieces of advice. Save often, try and max out your armor stat first, and archery archery archery! I'd also suggest trying not to level up too much as the game gets way too easy at the end. There's a PC mod cutting leveling times in half so this isn't a problem, but nothing you can do on console.

I think you get some sort of stats boost for a period for doing it as it says 'rested' or 'well rested' depending on how long you sleep for, similar to when you give a beggar a coin and get the charity thingo.

Only time I sleep is when people tell me I look weird or like I need a rest, but they still seem to say it. I don't know what it means but it hurts my feelings.

You sound like you have a disease to be honest.

I couldn't find the fucking stairs for the longest time. I had put it off for ages, to the point I was level 52 or something when I made the climb. By the time I found them I didn't really give three fucks about the scenery.

Also am I the only one who will jump and run diagonally up mountains as a shortcut/way to get constantly lost?

I used to do this but I got lost too often or I would run into a slope that I couldn't jump up. Using the wagons to go to the main cities and then traveling from there usually works from there, and then when I've unlocked places I'll just fast travel.

And yeah, if you don't rest enough people will eventually comment on it. I've been using the Basic Needs mod so hunger, thirst, and fatigue actually have negative stat effects.

No I do that all the time. Mostly because I suck at reading the in game map and end up roaming around the foothills at the bottom of a mountain for ages and ages.

The way I see it, it just makes arriving somewhere all the more rewarding >_>

Reading Benji's posts, I'm wondering if I've been doing archery wrong. It's just a case of holding down whichever shoulder button you assign the bow to and then releasing right? Cos my stat never levels up and enemies never seem to take damage from the shots. It got to the stage where I just stopped trying with it and levelled up on Destruction magic and one-armed combat.

Also Benji

The yeti on the Greybeard mountain destroyed me to I reloaded a save from the bottom of the mountain and went and got my companion, Lydia.... and the second time I climbed the mountain I got attacked by a dragon at the same damn time! That's what I get for trying to be sneaky.

It actually worked in my favour, the Dragon killed the yeti but took a beating in the process and then me, Lydia and a fuck-tonne of potions did for the Dragon.