House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

• 1 month later...

So in completely unsurprising news, season 6 is going to air ahead of Winds of Winter coming out. Who the hell knows, maybe season 7 will too.

Martin's output since 2000 has literally been one book, a book so long it had to be split into 2 books that were pretty fucking boring. I haven't had a huge desire to rush through the show since I've known what's happened in the books, but I'll be rushing through it all now to be ready for the season 6 premiere. Even if the show is diverging pretty hard from the books.

• Like 1

It ought to be interesting to see how the next batch of episodes turn out without any book to follow (barring a few details they didn't get to, possibly). I did like the last season, but it did carry a kind of "treading water" feel, as if the writers had expected another book to have been released by the time they got to it, and I'm intrigued to see how things progress now that they've established a different direction than Martin probably will take. I realise that Benioff and Weiss know what's going to happen, but I still imagine that writing the dialogue and designing the sets without the books as a guide can be challenging, and, in general, I think they're good enough to make a good stab at it.

1 hour ago, metalman said:

I wonder what they'll do if he keels over and dies before he has a chance to finish the next book.

Martin left specific instructions to the producers on how to proceed if that happens, and he has said that if he dies before he finishes the books, that the TV show will be considered the proper ending. 

Guys, I'm just saying that at the rate he writes the books, I doubt he'll ever finish. He does other projects then takes forever to get around to writing the books. If he'd just cut out the damned padding, he'd get them done. From what I understand, he's already missed the deadline for the next book.

And I\d respond to the people who have commented, but I don't want to get banned. 

You all owe me an apology for misunderstanding what I'm saying, but I'm not expecting one.

Edited by GhostMachine

You know what? My comment was out of line, and I will apologize.

But you saying that he's probably going to die before he finishes the books is kind of dark and morbid and not necessary. He's only 67 for crying out loud.