House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Regarding my previous statement about having had things spoiled, the two bits in question were Trystane and Doran's deaths. At first my only thought was 'they're killing the wrong Dornish characters' but seeing it play out on screen made it make a lot more sense.

Shit is gonna kick off at The Wall and in the North. Hopefully Sansa starts to take some sweet, sweet vengeance.

The fleet in Meereen burning seems like a perfectly convenient reason for another set of ships to arrive *points at new Greyjoy castings*.

First episode is usually a set-up episode, so I'm expecting more interesting things to happen in the next episode. Wasn't a bad refresher though.

• Like 2

for real, nothing major ever happens in these episodes. Last season the biggest developments were Mance Rayder being killed and Lancel Lannister returning as a Sparrow.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Alexis Sanchez said:

Not entirely sure of the significance of her being an old witch?

Also, the House of Faces (is it called?) have made Arya blind in order to train all her other senses before giving her her vision back, right?

It's been noted before that she was several hundred years old, this showed her dropping the glamour she was using and revealing her true self. Helps highlight her crisis of confidence in her faith now that the two men she thought were the saviour have both died.

And yes, Arya won't be blind all season. Pretty sure she said that in an interview at some point. Don't know how long for though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

for real, nothing major ever happens in these episodes. Last season the biggest developments were Mance Rayder being killed and Lancel Lannister returning as a Sparrow.

And by episode 9 we'll all be broken, emotional husks.

• Like 7

Spoiler

I thought that was a fairly standard fare opening episode with a lot of exposition and flitting about. I didn't see it as anything horrendously bad, but it certainly felt like a laboured effort to set the scene, as it often is at this stage of an episode run.

Also, what happened to the supposedly fearsome hounds that were chasing Theon and Sansa? They had them cornered one minute, but then, once Brienne and Pod arrived, they seemed to have vanished

I swear, sometimes people are just setting themselves up not to be happy.

Spoiler

I feel that everyone is just disappointed because the Jon Snow story only progressed as far as him having his eyes closed, or failing that there wasn't some huge event/death/battle, but we got the deaths of the Dorne folks (particularly brutal in the case of poor Tristayne) and frankly, I'm happy that the show is back after a long year and we get to see the initial next steps of almost every character in the show. I enjoyed it, it was only ever going to be a 'setting the scene' episode anyway.

Out of interest, who was missing from the episode? My memory isn't great, but I know we still await Bran, is there any other story strand? I forgot Arya existed until she popped up near the end there.

• Like 2

There's a Twitter fan theory going around about Melisandre. It's all book stuff so you can skip it.

Spoiler

Basically, that her mother and father are Shiera Seastar and Brynden Rivers (the three-eyed raven/crow), who are bastards of Aegon IV Targaryen. Shiera was rumored to bathe in blood to stay beautiful, and Brynden was rumored to have been a sorcerer. Shiera's own mother supposedly practiced "dark arts" to retain her youth and beauty and was thought to have been much older than Aegon IV.

General thoughts about the season:

Spoiler

It'll be interesting to see if Dorne goes to war with the the rest of the Kingdoms. Has it ever been mentioned how many troops Dorne has? More importantly, will anybody throw in with Dorne if they rebel? Do I really only care because I want to shout "WAR DORNE" at things (yes)?

Also, I can't wait to see how Sansa gets her vengeance. I'm all about some Sansa Stoneheart.

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

I swear, sometimes people are just setting themselves up not to be happy.

Hide contents

I feel that everyone is just disappointed because the Jon Snow story only progressed as far as him having his eyes closed, or failing that there wasn't some huge event/death/battle, but we got the deaths of the Dorne folks (particularly brutal in the case of poor Tristayne) and frankly, I'm happy that the show is back after a long year and we get to see the initial next steps of almost every character in the show. I enjoyed it, it was only ever going to be a 'setting the scene' episode anyway.

Out of interest, who was missing from the episode? My memory isn't great, but I know we still await Bran, is there any other story strand? I forgot Arya existed until she popped up near the end there.

RE: Last part of your spoiler tag.

Bran's the main one, but the preview HBO released for the next episode shows that he's back in that. Sam Tarly is the other main character from last season we haven't seen yet.

1 minute ago, Jericode said:

RE: Last part of your spoiler tag.

Hide contents

Bran's the main one, but the preview HBO released for the next episode shows that he's back in that. Sam Tarly is the other main character from last season we haven't seen yet.

Spoiler

Thanks. Despite seeing him in two different instagram posts today, one with Chris Jericho, I completely forgot Sam existed.

You guys are going back and forth with spoiler tags or not and I don't post in here much so I'll play it safe

Spoiler

I honestly didn't think I really cared about any of the characters anymore. I mean I like Tyrion but everyone likes him and I have a soft spot for Pod and the fat dude at the wall but that's it really. I was really pro Stark and like the wedding kind of broke me. I was just numb and watching just because. But when they were cornered and Brienne and Pod made the run in for the save and Sansa finally accepted her and was swearing her in or whatever I actually got kind of emotional. It was weird but I did. In a show that's mostly just gut punches that actually felt like a good moment I could latch onto.

• Like 4

Spoiler

Yeah, that was the best part for me too, and not so coincidentally it was also the only part that really advanced anyone's story in any meaningful way since it finally bought Brienne and Sansa together, as well as allowing Theon to show that his redemption wasn't just a one episode thing.

The only other thing to advance the story was the death of the Dornish guys, which I didn't like because they were two of the three actually interesting Dornish characters. I find the Sand Snakes to be ridiculously over the top, but at least the queen or whatever she is survives, because I really want to see a face off between her and Cersei.

I wasn't expecting massive things from this episode, as others have stated it's an opener, but I expected more than a reuniting that was somewhat expected and the death of characters most people didn't care about. They left the wrong thing for last, an old woman going to sleep is not the way to end an episode, the Brienne/Sansa stuff should have been.