House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

So Here are my thoughts:

Spoiler

Dorne is still very disappointing. The sand snakes are so terrible and ill defined. That “you're a greedy bitch, you know that?” line made be cringe. There is not much to Ellaria Sand either than the need of revenge. I also realized that all of Dorne we ever saw was the exterior and interior of the water gardens, the strip of land where Jamie and Bronn went to shore and the tent where we first saw the sand snakes. But I guess until they introduce new characters that is just something I have to live with. They definitely killed the wrong characters episode.

Another disappointment was that they ignored the cliffhanger jump down the castle walls from the last episode of Season 5. They made it look like they couldn't possibly survive that jump without injuries, it cuts to black after they jump and in the next episode we see them run like nothing ever happened. What was the point of that?

And last but not least: “You have no cock”. Really Tyrion? That is the best the writers could come up with? That has to be the weakest insult I've ever heard on this show. It's especially disappointing to hear it from Tyrion who is very eloquent. I know he isn't above using crude insults and stoop to the same low level as his opponents when the situation calls for it but this was just weak. I expected him to follow this line up with a “yo mama is so fat,...” joke. Other than that the scene was there to give us a better picture of what is going on in Meereen and did a good job of that.

Now that I'm done with what I didn't like let's talk about the stuff I did like.

The rescue of Sansa and Theon by Brienne and Podrick was a major “HELL YEAH!” moment for me. The scene where Brienne took oath was great as well. It didn't even bother me that Brienne and Pod were just at the right place at the right time and that the bloodhounds just disappeared midway through the scene.

The scene with Ramsay was great as well. It's so rare to see him emotional. And the dialogue with Roose was even better. It's the first time that things are not going his way and he realized that he is in a bit of a pickle. I'm wondering what will happen when Roose drives Ramsay further into the corner. I'm not entirely sure that Roose knows just how batshit insane his son is.

The scene where Cersai runs to the harbor to welcome her daughter and everything that happened afterward was extremely well acted and it's hard not to feel at least a little bit sorry for her. Very well done.

I liked the scene with Khalessi as well. I've heard that some people didn't like the joke about the 5 best things in live. I'm looking forward to see how this situation will play out and to hopefully finally see the Vaes Dothraki.

Davos was good in this episode. Especially the feigned nonchalance with which he talks to Thorn. Thorns speech was great as well. I can totally understand why this character would act the way he does. I don't like him and I think he acted foolish but from his perspective it makes sense. It's funny how often they tell us that Jon Snow is indeed dead. First they show us his final moments again, then Davos finds him and confirms his dead, then they do it again when the other knights are in his room and then the red woman does it yet again. It just reinforces my believe that Jon will eventually come back. I'm just not sure that Melisandre will be the one to bring him back.

I've read theories that by taking of her amulet she is somehow transferring her live power over to Jon Snow. I doubt that. I think that she is having a major crisis of faith. It is a way show us how crestfallen and desperate she is. After all both men that she has identified in her visions as the chosen ones have died within a short span of time. Also the makers of the show and the actress that play Melisandre have said for a while that she is very old and now was the perfect time to show that. But I don't think she is at the end of her rope just yet. I also don't think that Castle Black will still be standing by the end of this season.

What else happened? Arya is still blind and Jorah plus that other guy are still looking for Khalessi. That is about it I think.

Okay, so courtesy of Reddit and fact checking myself, we have an answer regarding the dogs:

Exhibit A (skip to 2:00): The scene where six Bolton men find Theon and Sansa just before the Brienne fight. Notice only five men die.

Exhibit B (skip to 0:15): Missing Bolton soldier beside Ramsey in preview for next episode. 

Conclusion: Dogs were scared and ran off off-screen when the horses approached, this guy followed so he didn't lose them and to report back to the Boltons.

Case closed, can we go back to moaning about the teleporting Sand Snakes now? :shifty:

Australia was the country that torrented the first episode of the new season the most. It has created a bit of an uproar in regards to how we do not have conventional access to pay for the TV show unless we fork out $50 a month for a subscription service just to watch one TV Show.

Game of Thrones and Walking Dead make me sad that more people don't just "watch" TV. Everything seems to be analysed to within an inch of it's life and it really sucks the enjoyment out of it.

I've seen people asking how Jorah could possibly have found the ring in all that grass, or where the dogs went or how the Sand Snakes got to Tristayn.

Am I the only one who honestly doesn't care? I mean, not only can all of those things be explained with a little thought, but none of them really have much bearing on the overall quality of the show.

• Like 1

Jorah finding the ring in that little patch of grass, which is surrounded by a whole bunch of mud from the horses isn't that farfetched.

But really, it's the internet that does all that stuff. If you have a conversation with someone in person, that kind of petty crap hardly ever gets brought up. It's just a case of being online and avoiding places like that. 

Anyone wondering how Alexander Siggid felt about his character direction this year...

13zNoUu.jpg

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Game of Thrones and Walking Dead make me sad that more people don't just "watch" TV. Everything seems to be analysed to within an inch of it's life and it really sucks the enjoyment out of it.

I've seen people asking how Jorah could possibly have found the ring in all that grass, or where the dogs went or how the Sand Snakes got to Tristayn.

Am I the only one who honestly doesn't care? I mean, not only can all of those things be explained with a little thought, but none of them really have much bearing on the overall quality of the show.

In general I tend to let stuff go when a episode of anything is good, but when an episode isn't good (like I didn't particularly find this one interesting), I'll micro-analyse the living dragon shit out of it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SeanDMan said:

Anyone wondering how Alexander Siggid felt about his character direction this year...

Reveal hidden contents

So fucked off when that person copped it 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Whisper said:

Honestly, my main thoughts when I saw it before I got online were

Spoiler

Man, Areo and Doran had shitty deaths, Areo especially. I didn't really care about the dogs, or the Sand Snakes - I honestly forgot that Trystane was meant to be on the boat with Jaime - but it wasn't until I saw people talking about the dogs, etc. here that I thought any more about that.

22 hours ago, Whisper said:

It's barely over analyzing anything, they felt like big holes in storytelling to me, and really sucked me out of the show. The ring Jorah found, especially, because the show once again closed off how big the world could be and made it minuscule, where you can find everything really quickly if you just look for it. 

Also, Trystane Martell is a fucking buffoon. Areo dying by tiny dagger was really sad, and well, just fuck the Dorne storyline in this show. None of the Sand Snakes are distinct from one another, and every Martell seems to have died. Kind of want Cersei to just nuke Dorne and be done with it.

I feel like that was their own way of nuking Dorne, but I guess we'll see if that's right in the coming weeks. The plot synopses for episodes 2 & 3 say nothing about Dorne, but that's not necessarily indicative of Dorne being out of the show..

Some of the plot holes in this show are pretty bad and obvious hence why they are looked at. However, there are some plot holes, like the snow at winterfell, where I saw people on another forum arguing over snowdrift. Thats a bit too much for me. But pointing out something like Mel having that necklace off in a scene in S4? I believe and she didnt transform into Granny.

That's just people assuming that the necklace is what makes her young though and not that taking it off and her transformation are two seperate occurances, especially since they also made a point over lingering on her collection of potions.

Same with Dany's ring, that valley might be fastest route between two cities, hence why the khalasar were passing through it last season and Jorah and Daario this season. They also show you that Jorah finds a ram that has been burnt in a way that can only be from dragonfire, you wouldn't have to be the world's greatest tracker to follow the rough trail of a twenty foot long, winged killing machine. You can see that they make a point to show that the ground has been all broken up by horses except for one patch in the middle of the circle, which is almost certainly where any person would go out of sheer curiosity.

I mean, there's also the people that would bitch endlessly if they had Jorah and Daario just wandering across Essos in faint hope for an entire season asking people if they seen a dragon or a blonde woman because Dany could be literally anywhere, which would be more realistic.

As for Tristane being an idiot and getting himself killed, a lot of people are idiots. Every universe has them.

I think a lot of it boils down to the same kind of thinking that you get in a lot of criticism of wrestling booking, everyone is far too quick to jump on something or write something off without having a bit of paitence and letting the storyline play out.

• Like 4

I think it's reasonable to mention things that you think are plot holes. Most of the time there's an explanation that the person missed (the potion things), but sometimes it really is a plot hole (the dog thing) and that should be called out if it broke your suspension of belief. I don't know about you guys but I sure don't remember every minutiae of an episode and often find there's entire mini plots and callbacks in shows that I've missed.

Other than the Sand Snakes part, and Brienne showing up and Sansa finally acknowledging her, the episode was mostly a whole bunch of nothing.

Edited by GhostMachine