House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

We didn't get any, no. Tyrion didn't come to King's Landing until the second series, and although they did appear together when Robert first arrived at Winterfell, they never had any on-screen interaction until then. It would have been interesting, though. I could imagine them initially thinking that they'd have lots in common, only for them to discover that Tyrion has a greater sense of morality, and Robert a greater sense of bloodlust. 

• 3 weeks later...

Emily kept pressuring me to watch Game of Thrones, so I bit the bullet a few weeks back and we started from the beginning. Marathoning our way through it is quite interesting to see how quickly everything changes, compared to waiting an entire year between series. We just finished Season 6 which was the season I stopped watching initially when Hodor created Hodor and we found out no one had free will. That was a fun discussion with Emily.

Seeing the battle for Winterfell. That was absolutely brutal, piles of bodies, fighting on top of them. It made me think of the humanity of living in such a world knowing that if you fight for your part of the land you are probably going to die a horrible death.

Anyway, I have come to the conclusion that GOT is very addictive because of how submersive (sic?) the entire show is, but in terms of story it's a bit shit.

• Like 2

On 24/06/2019 at 10:01, Barbaro CaverLUKIEo said:

Emily kept pressuring me to watch Game of Thrones, so I bit the bullet a few weeks back and we started from the beginning. Marathoning our way through it is quite interesting to see how quickly everything changes, compared to waiting an entire year between series. We just finished Season 6 which was the season I stopped watching initially when Hodor created Hodor and we found out no one had free will. That was a fun discussion with Emily.

Seeing the battle for Winterfell. That was absolutely brutal, piles of bodies, fighting on top of them. It made me think of the humanity of living in such a world knowing that if you fight for your part of the land you are probably going to die a horrible death.

Anyway, I have come to the conclusion that GOT is very addictive because of how submersive (sic?) the entire show is, but in terms of story it's a bit shit.

In my head, the show ended with the dead arriving at Winterfell, the battle itself being a loss for humanity, and everything else up to the finale outside of Cleganebowl (GET HYPE) was a delirium-laced dream of the few who managed to live much past the end of the fight.

At least, that's how I make sense of it. I came away from the show with abject disappointment, mainly because of the potential that was wasted, especially with Mad Queen Dany getting all of an episode and a half of dubious quality build.

Vague sidenote, according to Bran's actor

I maintain that Series 1-4 were absolutely tremendous. Dorne was the first time an entire subplot was messed up, as opposed to a single scene here and there, but Series 5 still has its moments. 6 was still very entertaining, albeit not quite at the level of 1-4.

Series 7 was where the show went from being something I waited all year round for to one that I watched primarily to see how it all ended. The thing is that I always thought I'd lose interest when the fantasy elements became more prominent, but I didn't think the storytelling would dip in the way that it did.

I watched a few Series 1 episodes recently, and it reminded me of why I came to like the show in the first place. While it's book-ended by two moments of supernatural phenomena, it's predominantly a straight-laced drama in a medieval setting. I cared so much more about the characters doing relatively normal things than I did about them riding dragons and hacking away at hordes of ice zombies.

We didn't even see a single battle in Series 1, and I actually think that the show was better for it. Just cutting to the aftermath and having a character summarise what happened was ideal for me because I liked the human drama above everything else, rather than the prospect of long fight scenes in which a main character inevitably does something incredibly stupid and gets saved at the last minute by a sudden sword through the back of their assailant's head.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I like the sound of that more than the other prequel series. I'd be very happy with any focus on the Targaryen dynasty, but I'd love it if they made an anthology series that covered the whole of Fire and Blood.

From what I've read, that is the general gameplan of this particular spinoff.

On 13/09/2019 at 22:07, Dickon Manwoody said:

From what I've read, that is the general gameplan of this particular spinoff.

Yeah. The 'Prequel Trailers' appearing on YouTube seem to just be extras that came with the home releases, though through the three I've seen, they've focused entirely on Aegon's Conquest, with Viserys telling us about The Doom, Varys explaining the beginning of the war, and Jaime covering the Field of Fire. There's probably a decade's worth of content in there alone, and that only covers about 130 to 150 years of history. Then there's all the other crazy shit after that, like the reign of Aegon IV, the Blackfyre Rebellions, Dunk and Egg...

The more I think about this Fire and Blood series, the less I'm interested in the other one. Even though The Long Night is more of a blank canvas, it's still ultimately centred around the White Walkers, who have never done much for me. The political struggles of humans is much more interesting to me than a black-and-white "good versus evil" tale.

Dragons without the whole "Dany kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet" contrivance ought to be good. Focusing on the suffering left in the wake of a dragon attack is what I want to see the writers going for. The wagon train attack in Series 7 was a good example of how to do that, and the attack on Kings Landing sort of did, despite all its faults.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

"He rode a dragon," Tyrion counters in the script for the scene. "Has any non-Targaryen ever rode a dragon?"

Actually....

image.jpeg

(Yeah, I know nobody really cares, but you'd think someone as learned as Tyrion would understand that several non-Targaryens rode dragons during the Dance :shifty: ) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mick said:

Actually....

image.jpeg

(Yeah, I know nobody really cares, but you'd think someone as learned as Tyrion would understand that several non-Targaryens rode dragons during the Dance :shifty: ) 

Non-Targ pre-Doom Valyrian noble family: Guess we don't count as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, Dickon Manwoody said:

Non-Targ pre-Doom Valyrian noble family: Guess we don't count as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was thinking more of Nettles, Hugh the Hammer and Ulf the White, not to mention Rhaenyra's (Velaryon) kids, but they did have a Targ mother, so...

• Like 1