House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

20 hours ago, Jericode said:

I read Book One, then watched the first three seasons, then read all the books ahead of season 4.

The only thing that I recall being spoiled was the Ice Dragon reveal, because as said the episode leaked and there were images everywhere. It also meant I had the complete anti-spoiler of Lady Stoneheart in the books, which was dope.

I did the inverse.  I watched episode 1 when it originally aired, then stopped and read all 4 books out at the time then watched the rest of Season 1.

19 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

The biggest lesson I took from GoT is if a story relies on you not being spoiled to be good then maybe it's not that good of a story. I don't think this is as much the case for the book telling of the story, but man did the show fall back on "you'll never know what's gonna happen next week!" hard.

I agree strongly with this.  A shock does not equal good storytelling.  One of my biggest issues with the end seasons of GoT was that there was so many mini stories built up that just went nowhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Azazel said:

I agree strongly with this.  A shock does not equal good storytelling.  One of my biggest issues with the end seasons of GoT was that there was so many mini stories built up that just went nowhere.

It's disappointing because you can easily have it both ways. A story with compelling character development and world-building, as well as shocking twists on a regular basis. Plenty of books, shows, and movies have managed to do it just fine. But if finding out something big happens before you see it kills your entire enthusiasm for seeing something play out, that likely means the story has nothing going for it except for its shock and suspense. And that's not really a strong way to tell a story.

• Like 1

Game Of Thrones was built up as the pinnacle of interweaving storytelling in TV, the problem was (much like Lost) they never cared to finish these stories in a satisfying way.

The other problem is, the books never will either. I can’t imagine Book 6 and ultimately book 7 are going to have everyone wrapped up.

On 24/05/2020 at 21:34, TCO said:

Now that you mention the books. Do any of the book readers here actually care if they ever get released? It's been so long that I read A Dance With Dragons that I don't even really remember or care what's going on with most of the characters. With it all getting muddle up with the series and revealing the broad ending, there's no motivation to read it. I'm sure I will read it if WOW ever does come out, but I don't think I care in the slightest any more. With the delay and the show fucking things up so much, it's killed all interest.

Bit late replying to this, but after I finished the most recent book (just after it was released), I was mad keen for the next one - and the wait was a killer. Now? It’s been so long, and I’ve largely forgotten what happened. Yeah I’d still read it for sure, but I’m also really not that bothered if it never happens now. The wave feels like it has crested really.

For anyone wanting to remind themselves of the most recent events in the books, as well as hear about some plausible plot theories, I'd highly recommend the YouTube channel In Deep Geek. It has a lot of well researched and clearly presented videos that have really helped get me back in the mood for more content in the ASoIaF universe. There are also videos that cover Lord of the Rings and Westworld, if you're into those.

On 24/05/2020 at 22:00, Tigerstyle said:

100%. In the book, Jaime is the best character (and never raped anyone) - he’s gone full good guy, and Jon has just died, very interesting to see what happens there.

Arya too is amazing and she’s currently at the house of black and white. The truth behind Aegon (though the TV show seems to have put that in its place), the Dornish uprising and most importantly, Sansa is becoming so so good in the books.

On 24/05/2020 at 22:13, Bobfoc said:

And don't forget Euron actually being a good character.

A bit late to this but - YOUNG. GRIFF. His plotline was looking like it was going to be quite important in the book (and I believe he's referred to in one of the 'prophecies' too). 

15 minutes ago, DFF said:

A bit late to this but - YOUNG. GRIFF. His plotline was looking like it was going to be quite important in the book (and I believe he's referred to in one of the 'prophecies' too). 

Young Griff is one of those storylines you can easily remove from the show if he is definitely a fake, which sucks.

1 minute ago, Tigerstyle said:

Young Griff is one of those storylines you can easily remove from the show if he is definitely a fake, which sucks.

I get that, but it was such a promising storyline :(

Did they use the prophecy in full in the show? I don't recall offhand. 

17 minutes ago, DFF said:

The only prophecy I can remember is the ‘azor Ahai and all I see is snow’ one.

They may have mentioned the valonquer in that scene of young cersei

2 minutes ago, Tigerstyle said:

The only prophecy I can remember is the ‘azor Ahai and all I see is snow’ one.

They may have mentioned the valonquer in that scene of young cersei

I was thinking of the longer form one from Qaith about the pale mare, perfumed seneschal, the mummers dragon etc. 

21 minutes ago, DFF said:

The prophecy of the mummer's dragon was never mentioned in the show. Quaithe only showed up once, if I remember correctly, and that was in a conversation with Jorah.

I can't say I agree with some people's suggestion that knowing the end point of these side plots means they aren't appealing. Finding out how things develop is a big part of enjoying a story, and I absolutely include the Young Griff plot in that. I'm looking forward to seeing how it affects Dorne's role in the political landscape, not to mention Dany's response. I'm also keen to see more of Jon Connington. It's little things like this that make everything much more interesting than just "How does it end?"

Theoretically Westeros rallying behind a fake Targaryen and not Dany is a much easier way to explain Dany torching King's Landing when they don't welcome her. It makes so much more sense than what we got in the show. I always thought the Young Griff storyline was more in place to pull certain characters into a new location than anything else, and then it would end with revelations that he wasn't actually Aegon.

I always took the prophecies in the book to more dictate how people act in the face of them as opposed to actually being real things. It's easy to see why they'd have been cut from the show.

1 hour ago, damsher hatfield said:

I always took the prophecies in the book to more dictate how people act in the face of them as opposed to actually being real things. It's easy to see why they'd have been cut from the show.

I've always liked this angle. Who Azor Ahai is is less important than the extreme lengths certain characters have gone to try to make the prophecy come true. Bloodraven is such an interesting character because he's probably helped set horrendous events in motion for what he perceives to be the greater good. Obsession with prophecy also drove Rhaegar's actions throughout his life, resulting in Jon's birth but causing a civil war.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I've always liked this angle. Who Azor Ahai is is less important than the extreme lengths certain characters have gone to try to make the prophecy come true. Bloodraven is such an interesting character because he's probably helped set horrendous events in motion for what he perceives to be the greater good. Obsession with prophecy also drove Rhaegar's actions throughout his life, resulting in Jon's birth but causing a civil war.

I think it's something GRRM has really embraced. I mean we won't know until the end, but I think when you consider how much he loves medieval (and especially late medieval) European history the tendency is there to treat prophecies as forcing decisions than actually some mystical promise.

The whole prophecy about Cersei has always been the most powerful to me, something the show handwaved away. But the books have been very committed to reminding us of the prophecy and makes us question whether it's her love of her children that guides her decisions or her deference to the prophecy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What's the point of a sequel? Every character got their ending, even if a lot of them weren't good or rushed. They've also left behind all the parts of the world they can expand except for Arya apparently going to find the GOT version of Iceland.

Prequel series are much more intriguing, given the amount of attention that's been paid to so many parts of history in the series. Seeing a lot of those events fleshed out would be of more interest to me.

• Like 2

You want a sequel, or something better than season 8? Play the AGOT mod for CK2 :shifty: . 

Anyway, yeah, a sequel series for Game of Thrones is dumb. It's not like this is something where the door is left open for continuing adventures. However, I do think that Bronn has a story or two left to tell. 

What they could do is shoot it like the Office. Like, nobody even questions the cameras, they just follow everyone around during their day to day. Like,

TORMUND (Drunk, while urinating, to camera): Ahhhh, we would have had huge red and blond haired monsters!

*CUT TO BRIENNE*
BRIENNE: I'd rather not talk about...him.

:shifty: Better than Season 8?

Or better yet, we'll have it all focus on Bran. Except:
image.png

Bran the Broken's Day Off :shifty: 

• Like 1