House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Just now, Arjen Robben said:
  Hide contents

Just having a big book at the end within the show just called A Song of Ice and Fire basically just had me like

88.gif

Just have a cameo with Frodo and Bilbo and be done with it.

Spoiler

I was honestly expecting Sam to say something along the lines of "The last two volumes took forever to write! Am I right, guys?"

• Like 2

Since he was legitimized, couldn't Gendry have just stood up and been like "Hey, technically I'm King now"?

• Like 2

Just now, Lint said:

Hide contents

Since he was legitimized, couldn't Gendry have just stood up and been like "Hey, technically I'm King now"?

Spoiler

He could have, but he was already shitting bricks from just taking over the small part of the country he was given. No way in hell would he want to be King of the sev--er, six kingdoms. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

The time gap between Jon killing Dany and Tyrion naming Bran king was odd too. Felt like lazy “we don’t know how to explain this”. And why was prisoner Tyrion able to dictate the terms of the new King? Like, really? 

I’m so disappointed, it needed different writers. 

At least the Barry finale was good.

1 minute ago, Liam Mk2 said:
  Hide contents

The time gap between Jon killing Dany and Tyrion naming Bran king was odd too. Felt like lazy “we don’t know how to explain this”. And why was prisoner Tyrion able to dictate the terms of the new King? Like, really? 

I’m so disappointed, it needed different writers. 

At least the Barry finale was good.

Spoiler

They needed the time gap to bring all the powerful houses of Westeros together. 

And Tyrion was simply asked who he'd name as King. He made a compelling case and everyone agreed Bran was the right choice. It wasn't like Tyrion just had his pick of the litter and that was it. 

• Like 2

I have to say that I've never really rated Emilia Clarke's acting performances in the previous series. She really stepped things up this series, though.

Spoiler

Her final scene, in which you can still believe that she wants to change the world for the better, but has become so delusional and power-hungry that she's lost touch with reality, was played really well, I think. You could see at that point that she'd lost the plot, but still showed signs of humanity.

Overall, I think this last episode was very much a mixed bag. If I look at it like a sketch show, which I really shouldn't, but sod it, it had about a 50/50 strike rate for me. There were a few scenes I'll enjoy watching again several times on Youtube. It was reflective of Benioff and Weiss' skills in that they can write good scenes and dialogue, but they're not as good when it comes to writing plots that stand up to basic scrutiny.

• Like 2

It wasnt bad, just....bizarre.

The scene with the ASOIAF book was cringey as hell.

I liked the bit with Tyrion finding Jaime and Cersei, and talking to Jon Snow in prison but everything else was weird. They didn't have enough to and fro with Dany to make it really land, in my opinion, but we all knew that was how it would end up I think. The rest of it was just tying up loose ends and it was not done well.

What's to stop Dorne from deciding they are independent as well? Or the Iron Islands? Bit of nepotism isn't the best way to start a new regime. I get what Liam was saying about Greyworm though, one minute hes like "Dany is dead but we're still in charge and demanding a sentence against our prisoners who, by the way Tyrion, shut the fuck up. Oh, you're picking a new king and freeing Tyrion? That's that then I suppose."

I didn't see Bran ruling at all, but it's nice the Stark kids got a happy ending. I did laugh at Drogon burning the iron throne, that's a great bit of symbolism and understanding of current political events from a fuckin dragon.

I think time will make it come off better than it has so far but it's been a bit of a let down as an ending. Theres nothing particularly unforgivable about it, I just think it wasnt at all what I expected, pretty much for any of the major beats this season.

• Like 3

Spoiler

re Jon being a Targaryen.

I’ve just thought that they didn’t actually do anything with this huge story arc. The only thing you can argue that came from it is Vary’s death, nothing else. Dany going mad was nothing to really do with it, and on that note, we got to see Dany go slightly mad —> completely mad —> die within about an episode and a half. Another reason why they needed more time. 

This will go down with Dexter in terms of horrific final seasons for me. Which is sad.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:
  Hide contents

re Jon being a Targaryen.

I’ve just thought that they didn’t actually do anything with this huge story arc. The only thing you can argue that came from it is Vary’s death, nothing else. Dany going mad was nothing to really do with it, and on that note, we got to see Dany go slightly mad —> completely mad —> die within about an episode and a half. Another reason why they needed more time. 

This will go down with Dexter in terms of horrific final seasons for me. Which is sad.

Spoiler

Another thing about Jon that never really impacted much was his death and resurrection. I always thought it would have consequences further along the line, perhaps creating some link with the Night King, whose signature power is control over dead people. At the very least, I thought that resurrection would have some impact on his personality or memories, given what Beric said about being slightly less of a person every time he's been revived. In the end, it was just a matter of trivia.

What is it with HBO shows and falling apart before they finish? Westworld crawled deep into it's own ass at the end of season two after being appointment television for season one.

17 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:
  Hide contents

Another thing about Jon that never really impacted much was his death and resurrection. I always thought it would have consequences further along the line, perhaps creating some link with the Night King, whose signature power is control over dead people. At the very least, I thought that resurrection would have some impact on his personality or memories, given what Beric said about being slightly less of a person every time he's been revived. In the end, it was just a matter of trivia.

Spoiler

It’s almost as if these writers didn’t know what to do with these reveals. 

If Jon wasn’t revealed to be a Targaryen, nothing in the story would have really been different other than Vary’s demise. It’s daft.