House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

4 hours ago, SeanDMan said:

Here's how I think everything will play out.

Hide contents

Jon will have to reluctantly kill Dany, and thus, the one who least covets power, will have all the power thrust upon him.

Sansa and Jon will hug and then Jon will kiss her passionately. Sansa will tell Jon that he's like a brother to her and Jon will tell her incest is a-okay since he's really a Targaryen. They will then begin making love atop the corpse of Dany.

Arya will then walk in. After a moment of confusion, she will throw off her clothes and proclaim "fuck me your majesty" and join the two of them.

Tormund will walk in. Seeing another of his beloved choose to couple with another instead, he will fall down on all fours and begin to softly weep.

Brienne will then arrive. She will be carrying the corpse of Jamie. Seeing Tormund's soft and sensitive side, she will drop the corpse of Jamie and begin to make love to Tormund atop it. Tormund will groan and call Brienne his she bear.

Hearing the word bear, Jorah will come back from the dead and say "Yo J-Bear here, wassup?" Upon finding out that his beloved Khaleesi is dead, he will die again of sadness. No one will make love atop his corpse.

Yara will return to Kings Landing. Upon finding Jon is the new king she will ask if she can still rule the Iron Islands and Jon will agree. She'll tell Jon about the deal she made with Dany and Sansa will step in and tell her that raping and pillaging is a-okay and will make people stronger, just like her.

The Riverlands will be gifted to Davos. Jon doesn't like fresh water but prefers the smell of salt water and since Davos is the saltiest old bastard he knows, this seems only logical.

Brienne will become Lady Brienne of The Stormlands while Tormund becomes Warden Of The North. They will give Gendry a boat and allow him to row away. This time he won't return.

Bronn will get Casterly Rock, because Tyrion can never have anything nice. Poderik will get Highgardern and become Warden Of The West, because Bronn can never be the biggest badass at anytime and must live in perpetual frustration.

Dorne will fall under the control of a gigantic extraterrestrial subterranean worm, but no one will notice cause who knows what the fuck happened to Dorne anyway. Just try not to think about it.

The last shot of the show will be Jon lying down on the godswood, his eye slowly closing, as they reveal they were in purgatory the whole time.

Wanna make a mod? :shifty: 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

I feel like the issue has been how fast they wanted to finish the show. Having two full last seasons might have at least given them time to tell the story they want to tell. I'm not mad at where we ended up with some of these characters, but I hate how quickly we've gotten there. 

Completely agree with this. 8 should have been dedicated to the North, culminating in the Battle for Winterfell and then 9 should be the Fight for the Iron Throne.

Right now, I would settle for a 'Status Quo' end to the show and ultimately after 8 years nothing has changed...everyone is back in there old position and miserable.

3 minutes ago, SquareRootOfSi said:

Right now, I would settle for a 'Status Quo' end to the show and ultimately after 8 years nothing has changed...everyone is back in there old position and miserable.

I don't think I'd be miserable if Rick Parfitt were on the throne.

• Like 2

If they had extended the seasons what would go in them? Just battles that drag out over 3 or 4 episodes? People sitting around expositing their character motivations? Send Jaime back to faff around in Dorne?

The reason for the shorter episode count is that there's not enough story or characters left to sustain 20 episodes without hours of pointless filler. 

Edited by Daniel Bryan
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Well that's literally just not true at all.

It is if you actually think about it. It's easy to say "season 8 could be just about the North", but what about the North? You can't just have 7 episodes in a row of the Night King attacking different castles. If Season 9 is just the battle for the Iron Throne, what are they doing for the eight episodes before they invade King's Landing? Standing outside the Red Keep wringing their hands?

tumblr_inline_o3xeveliZ71tbop4r_500.jpg

1 hour ago, Josh to the World said:

I watched this yesterday. The message I got was “don’t trust women or brown people.” It makes way too much sense that Benioff and Weiss wanted to make that Confederate clusterhorror.

fn5Cxr9.png

Spoiler

I'm aware that's very much a case of

XHBLXb4iq1i5.gif

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Josh to the World said:

I watched this yesterday. The message I got was “don’t trust women or brown people.” It makes way too much sense that Benioff and Weiss wanted to make that Confederate clusterhorror.

Baffling deduction. Danaerys' mental fragility and wrath have been building for several episodes (one could argue since season one), and all her troops are loyal to the example she sets. Her quest to the throne has ruined her good intentions and hope of a respected legacy. It has literally nothing to do with the fact she is a woman, or that the Unsullied are mostly dark in skin tone. There are no racial motives at play. The Unsullied, Dothraki and Northmen clearly work alongside each other despite being from different cultures and ethnicity. Your take-away is mystifying.

This is like saying alt-history authors who had the axis powers win WWII are obviously racist/antisemitic/fascist/nazi, since that's the story they chose to tell.

Spoiler

Don't forget that one of her trusted advisers was actively conspiring against her to not only place her nephew on the throne, but also to fucking poison her. 

This after losing one of her dragons and probably the nicest person she'd ever met, so yeah. 

Spoiler

I loved Daenerys snapping and wreaking havoc on Kings Landing.  I feel like she was always heading towards that. Everybody she ever loved and trusted has either been killed or betrayed her, apart from Grey Worm (who also had a magnificent bit of character development). This was always her destiny, she's a Targaryen. They reign by fire and have always been ruthless leaders, doing what they need to do to rule. The main problem is that is was all rushed. If you're going Game of Thrones pace and they had the books to work off, this 6 episode season would have been two full ones. They rushed the shit out of this and you can tell.

Still, this episode and ending was straight from GRRM's head and was always Daenerys' fate. I hate that it the show is ending in a rush, but what a wonderful story told!

• Like 2

Their desire to wrap this up so they can move onto the Disney/Lucasfilm blank check makes sense for them but it's definitely probably the biggest thing to attribute to the final seasons being rushed. They had plenty of source material they could have tossed in during seasons 6 and 7 (even if some of it occured in earlier books that doesn't matter, it could have been thrown in) to give them more to flesh out the final seasons and make them each 10 episodes. There's also so much they could have done in the North before the battle against the Night King. But the big thing is definitely the way the climax, what's supposed to be the most pivotal part of the entire series, is being squished into 2 1/2 episodes. In a perfect season Daenerys burning King's Landing to the ground would have been something that happened in like episode 5 or 6, giving us a final half of the season to build up to the very final machinations.

But anyway, I think since they ran out of source material they've just wanted the show to end as quickly as possible. It was an established hit and they were super hot commodities, but they had to finish the show before they could move onto anything else. And the actors being increasingly sought after as well only escalates the need to get it done, since it's harder and harder to get the filming done. A lot of external factors absolutely, but there are plenty of ways writers could get around this, again by taking advantage of the massive world they have at their disposal by having additional side stories. But when the writers themselves want to be done with this too? You're gonna get stuff like this happening.

• Like 2

The actors being in demand is a good factor for the rush, I remember listening to an episode of HDTGM and Paul Sheer said he was working with some guys and the producer had a book on his table of people he wants to hire, there was a cast picture from Game Of Thrones saying ‘anyone in this picture’

Spoiler

I really feel like quite a few of the events that occurred in this last episode would have played/appeared better if certain events that had occurred in earlier episodes had been held off until now.

My main example being Dany going mental and burning kings landing. Had Dany heard the bells and then looked towards the Red Keep only to THEN see Cersei standing with Missandei who she would then kill (the whole scene can play out exactly the same), would have been a much more acceptable reason for her to burn the city to the ground other than...ehh she's crazy now. It would have also played into Cersei being evil till the end and in the face of defeat taking something from her conqueror, finally 'breaking' Dany in the process.

I know this is just another fan going murrrhhh but my story makes more sense, but I feel like a lot of the story beats this season have been misplaced and I agree with the above comments about the writers feeling like they are rushing to the end just because they have other things they want to get to.

Edited by SquareRootOfSi