House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

1 minute ago, Liam Mk2 said:
  Hide contents

It’s almost as if these writers didn’t know what to do with these reveals. 

If Jon wasn’t revealed to be a Targaryen, nothing in the story would have really been different other than Vary’s demise. It’s daft.

well a large part of Danys fall into madness is spiked by Jon's true origins. The fact that he was so loved and worshipped even though she had the Dothraki, Unsullied and 2 fuckin dragons, was what made her so worried about her claim to the throne. If Jon Snow was only Jon Snow, she wouldn't need to choose to rule by fear instead of love, and probably wouldn't be as likely to burn a whole city to the ground.

• Like 5

Sometimes writers really understand the story they’re telling (Breaking Bad, The Wire, Six Feet Under) and sometimes they don’t (Lost, Prison Break) and for me this falls into the latter category. 

I mean, a huge part of that is because you had two writers taking on an adaptation project and then ran out of source material, but I still expect better storytelling when folk on Reddit et al put together far more coherent and logical season ending ideas. 

I think that in the end they tried to cater for the more casual fan and it really showed by the complete change in narrative and atmosphere.

My main thought coming out of this is that puberty hit Robyn Arryn like a truck full of swag.

• Like 3

Spoiler

Lords: Aye!

Sansa: Fuck that, we cede.

Lords: Hold on, we could have just said we're independent?

• Like 4

Greyworm set the Unsullied on a course for Naath, to live the life of peace he envisioned before Missandei died.  But they said in an earlier season that butterflies on Naath carry a disease that basically makes the flesh peel off your bones.  I assume Missandei's people have a natural immunity to it, but does that mean the Unsullied are going to die a horrifying death?

Spoiler

I thought it was a bit funny that when they were doing the ending, they didn't include Bran in the Starks-are-walking monologue. I mean maybe it wouldn't have been so cool to see wooden wheels instead of feet, but it's almost like the show themselves acknowledging they don't give a shit about Bran, like "yeah we kept him in because GRRM really liked him, but we know you guys like the other Starks better".

Also besides Pod and Brienne, who do you guys think the other Kingsguard are? Or are there no other characters alive? I kind of want to know that pretty badly.

What was with the whole Sam standing up and saying they should include the common folk only to get laughed at? Who exactly was that directed to?

10 minutes ago, Lint said:

Hide contents

Greyworm set the Unsullied on a course for Naath, to live the life of peace he envisioned before Missandei died.  But they said in an earlier season that butterflies on Naath carry a disease that basically makes the flesh peel off your bones.  I assume Missandei's people have a natural immunity to it, but does that mean the Unsullied are going to die a horrifying death?

To answer that question in the spoiler box: I kind of hope so!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lint said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

If they do, you'd think that they wouldn't even have to uphold their promise to send Jon to the Night's Watch. They could have just hidden him under a blanket and waited for the Unsullied to sail away.

Spoiler

I don't mean to be "that guy" but to everyone who dislikes it so much, what would you have done differently?

Baring in mind your limitations are that you have sixty minutes of airtime to work with, the balance of keeping people happy between the fans who started with the books and the fans who only watched the show, and the creator of the whole premise giving you a smattering of details to work with, including the ending which you have to stick to, and nothing more.

As a given, taking the stupid self-referential book out of the equation will be top of most lists I'm sure.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chris2K said:
  Hide contents

I don't mean to be "that guy" but to everyone who dislikes it so much, what would you have done differently?

Baring in mind your limitations are that you have sixty minutes of airtime to work with, the balance of keeping people happy between the fans who started with the books and the fans who only watched the show, and the creator of the whole premise giving you a smattering of details to work with, including the ending which you have to stick to, and nothing more.

As a given, taking the stupid self-referential book out of the equation will be top of most lists I'm sure.

Spoiler

I mean, first answer is surely to not impose that limit on yourselves in the first place?

• Like 1

I've had most of a day to ponder over the episode, and I still can't manage to hate it. More to the point, I still can't muster any strong feelings either way. I think Series 7 made me apathetic because I could see the story was going in a direction that didn't particularly interest me, and I don't think I've got my enthusiasm back since then. More than anything else, I was looking forward to Series 8 just to get some closure, rather than because I was excited about what was going to happen.

I've gone from waiting eagerly for each series to start to being glad it's all over. That's not even to say that I didn't like watching. Really, I think I'd made peace a while ago with the fact that the show wasn't going to do as much for me as it used to.

• Like 2