House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

First of all I agree with what Maxx said. I don't see the need to have all the discussions about the differences between the books and the show in this thread.

Secondly:

Am I the only one who is genuinely sad about Tywin's death? Yes, he was a cruel, calculating asshole who was so obsessed with rebuilding the reputation of his house and his own legacy that he almost completely neglected his duties and responsibilities as a father which turned his children into the fucked up people that they are which, in a ironic turn, lead to the disruption of everything he spent his life fighting for. But he was also a very intelligent and cunning man and I looked forward to seeing what he was up to every time the show was on. He was a very well written character and in my opinion the show lost a great villan with him. I would've loved to see how he would've handled the sutiation with Cersei and the return to form of Stannis Baratheon if he hadn't died.

I also felt that his death doesn't do him justice. I get why he died that way. It was inevitable that his mistakes and shortcomings in terms of taking care of his offspring would sooner or later catch up with him and that he probably would die by the hands of one of his children. But his death felt so empty. Joffrey death wasn't how I imagined it either and allthough it was horrific to watch him die the way he did it was still a "FUCK YEAH!" moment to me. But this? Dying in the shitter? That is so undignified and below is character.

I wouldn't say Tywin was cruel at all. An asshole, yes, but not cruel. Fuck...look at Dani...she is crucifying people.

And I think his death was perfect. Everything he was trying to accomplish had gone to shit :D

First of all I agree with what Maxx said. I don't see the need to have all the discussions about the differences between the books and the show in this thread.

Secondly:

Am I the only one who is genuinely sad about Tywin's death? Yes, he was a cruel, calculating asshole who was so obsessed with rebuilding the reputation of his house and his own legacy that he almost completely neglected his duties and responsibilities as a father which turned his children into the fucked up people that they are which, in a ironic turn, lead to the disruption of everything he spent his life fighting for. But he was also a very intelligent and cunning man and I looked forward to seeing what he was up to every time the show was on. He was a very well written character and in my opinion the show lost a great villan with him. I would've loved to see how he would've handled the sutiation with Cersei and the return to form of Stannis Baratheon if he hadn't died.

I also felt that his death doesn't do him justice. I get why he died that way. It was inevitable that his mistakes and shortcomings in terms of taking care of his offspring would sooner or later catch up with him and that he probably would die by the hands of one of his children. But his death felt so empty. Joffrey death wasn't how I imagined it either and allthough it was horrific to watch him die the way he did it was still a "FUCK YEAH!" moment to me. But this? Dying in the shitter? That is so undignified and below is character.

I wouldn't say Tywin was cruel at all. An asshole, yes, but not cruel. Fuck...look at Dani...she is crucifying people.

And I think his death was perfect. Everything he was trying to accomplish had gone to shit :D

So setting up a fake-mariage with a hooker for his son only to make him watch as his entire guard fucks her isn't cruel to you?

Either way I will miss him.

• Like 1

Secondly:

S4 EP10 spoiler

In a funny way, I thought the bit at the start when Cersei told Tywin, "dude, we've been fucking," was more poignant that the crossbow bit. Don't get me wrong, the end was great too but the look on his face when he saw his dynasty in it's true light was great. Great episode overall.

Arya :wub:

Secondly:

S4 EP10 spoiler

In a funny way, I thought the bit at the start when Cersei told Tywin, "dude, we've been fucking," was more poignant that the crossbow bit. Don't get me wrong, the end was great too but the look on his face when he saw his dynasty in it's true light was great. Great episode overall.

Arya :wub:

That was the best moment of that episode. Like that one time when Jorah sacked that one city but all that Daenerys cares for is Daario? Where you can freeze frame the exact moment in which Jorah's heart shatters into a thousand pieces? That was this kind of moment. Tywins lowest moment in the seires (beside his undiong on the shitter) and sublimely accted by Charles Dance. Why did they have to kill him? :(

The book readers make me so happy about the way I'm approaching the series (watch the season, read the corresponding book).

Whereas the fact that they're still apparently not done with Storm of Swords makes me frustrated with the way I'm approaching the series.

This is more or less my attitude. I've read the first couple of books after watching the show, and I've enjoyed looking at both as their own slightly different entities. I've watched television and film adaptations of books after having read the original source material first, and I often find myself getting disappointed when events get changed or things don't turn out exactly as I had pictured them. As much as I enjoy the ASoIaF series, I'm not overwhelmingly tempted to read ahead of the show because I'm aware that it would probably diminish my enjoyment of what I consider a great work of television in its own right.

I'm gonna go ahead and make the executive decision that ALL book talk goes in the book thread. Period. Consider it like the AV Club's "expert" and "newbie" reviews. This thread is exclusively for the show, the book thread is for book talk and changes within the show.

Cool?

• Like 6

I'm gonna go ahead and make the executive decision that ALL book talk goes in the book thread. Period. Consider it like the AV Club's "expert" and "newbie" reviews. This thread is exclusively for the show, the book thread is for book talk and changes within the show.

Cool?

Zero is the bestest :wub:EDIT : Actual images of what Zero does to book readers who try to break the rules:

AecKqRX.gif

Right, time for talk of the final episode, and holy shit there's a lot of stuff happened so if I forgot something then excuse me.

Tyrion's escape delighted me, but every second he spent in King's Landing had me screaming for him to get out. When I realised it was Shay calling for Tywin I felt my hands grip around the remote in anger, I was a tad disappointed he killed her but not at all suprised considering her betrayal. The second I saw the crossbow I was half expecting Tywin to get a bolt in his crotch and chest alá Joffrey and the prostitute, but I was let down with a boring old gut and heart shot. Tywin's death is going to fuck over all the Lannisters, with his death the Iron Bank isn't going to support the Lannisters, and it was only Tywin's leadership that was keeping their power in check.

Which leads me to Jamie and Cersei, who I'd assume will now be free to do as they please and essentially be Tommen's Hand and guard (incidentally, is Tommen a son of Robert or Jamie? I've never been clear on that), which means this innocent kid is going to be just as screwed up as Joffrey. Despite Jamie's advances as a 'good guy', his scenes with Cersei were a sharp reminder that though he is a man who values loyalty, he is still twisted mother (sister) fucker. Let's not forget that this is a guy who pushed a child to what could have been his death. Also, Cersei's concern for The Mountain borders on creepy, I want to know what's going on and exactly how this process will change The Mountain (for a third time :shifty: ).

The look on Varys's face when the bells tolled and he realised what Tyrion had done was amazing. Just that sudden "oh shit" look, and getting on the ship said more than any words could. Hopefully they're both heading towards Dany to make her story a little more interesting.

Speaking of people heading places, Arya and The Hound being seperated devastated me. As much as this show shifts towards people dying, I choose to believe that since The Hound wasn't shown dying, he was found by a kindly old maester and healed. That can happen, right? :( If we never see The Hound again - fuck The King's Guard, and fuck The King. Arya wanting to head to The Wall could've been great, but I'm not sure what she'll get up to over the sea. Also, glad to see Podric's reason for going with Brienne (other than the awesome buddy comedy studd) - to identify The Hound. Hated seeing her and The Hound fight because someone had to lose, but at the same time it was a great fight. I love that this show even has the 'good guys' fighting with one another.

Across the sea, Dany's story finally shows that she is not the infallible good guy, realising that not only did she fuck up with her dragons, but she destroyed a city's system without putting in place a replacement. Interested to see how the slave freeing story goes, and definitely wondering where Drogon is. Dany is showing that just wanting to be King/Queen isn't enough, and she clearly (at least at the moment) doesn't have the skills to rule on The Iron Throne.

Sad to see Jojen dead, but he wasn't essential. Confused as to what the skeletons were as they clearly weren't White Walkers, so were those the Wights that people were talking about? Or have I got them the wrong way around? That girl who threw fire was awesome, I hope we see more of her, but the Three Eyed Raven was boring and cliché, I hope he's going somewhere because Bran's story has largely been one of the duller ones despite the fact he started the show as a really interesting young boy.

Finally (and most importantly) - STANNIS IS THE MAN! Even though it was spoiled for me, it didn't ruin the moment of him charging to save The Wall, and finally showing that of all the people vying for The Iron Throne, this is the one man who does right by his people. With the smallest army, and at risk of losing men to his cause of taking the throne, he went to The Wall to protect everyone. As much as I don't trust him whilst he's influenced by Melissandre (and incidentally, I'm now insanely worried for Jon), I have to respect the hell out of him. Also - loved the small touch of Jon reversing the names in the toast to Gren and Mike.

9 months to go :(

• Like 1

To answer a few of your questions.

All three of Cersei's children were fathered by Jamie. That book that Ned found in season one listed all the Baratheon's down the generations as having black hair (as do Robert's bastards like Gendry) except Joffrey, Myrcella and Tommen.

The White walkers are the big, frosty dudes with the ice swords. Wights are the reanimated dead guys / babies with blue eyes.

The skeletons? Fuck knows.

• Like 1

So Wights are reanimated things (essentially just another word for zombies), White Walkers are the race that is unto themselves and moving south towards The Wall along with the long winter, and the skeletons may have been Wights, but could just as easily be just something else entirely.

Yeah Bran is incredibly boring. I've started reading the books and at the end of the first. I thought he'd be more interesting there but still dread his chapters as they're all sinfully tedious.

More top stuff as always from this episode, it was the huge shift in direction that has me excited for the next season. Can't wait!

The kid can warg into animals and a seven foot tall half-giant killing machine. What's not to love?

• Like 4

I really hope this Bran stuff leads to something good.

And I'd love to see Varys (if he actually left King's Landing on that ship with Tyrion), Tyrion and Ser Jorah forming an alliance to take the iron throne. That would be awesome.

Edited by TheLastInLine