House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Possible rumour about a returning cast member that's been going around certain circles. I haven't found confirmation anywhere, so take it with a grain of salt:

Apparently Tom Wlaschiha is going to be returning to the show during Season 5. Jaqen H'ghar might be back! :w00t:

A man needs confirmation! :w00t:

Didn't he say to Arya if she ever needed to find him give the coin to any man from Braavos and say

valar morghulis and they'd know what to do? Makes sense he'd be back.

• Like 1

Didn't he say to Arya if she ever needed to find him give the coin to any man from Braavos and say

Except....

He said

Jaqen H'ghar is dead, and changed his face. I mean, I get bringing back the actor people will hopefully recognize, but it's a pretty big plot hole they're making.

Except....

He said

Jaqen H'ghar is dead, and changed his face. I mean, I get bringing back the actor people will hopefully recognize, but it's a pretty big plot hole they're making.

Wait, are you saying that Jaqen H'ghar actually died? I thought he simply changed his face to remain anonymous and that changing their faces is apparently a ability that assassins from Braavos have. I'm confused. Can someone explain to me how these assassins from Braavos work?

I took it as a disguise and meaning that the particular identity was dead. I would assume once he's back home in Bravos he can switch back to his real face.

Than how is it a plot hole if they bring him back?

Their way they change is an ability learned through intense training. So anybody can theoretically do it if trained correctly, i.e no magic/shape shifting is involved. So they do have their own identity that's their own self, and don't "die" in the traditional sense. I assume the TV show's canon will have this actor's apperances be Jaqen's real identity and therefore no plothole!

So what you're saying is that the assassins never use the same identity twice and if the producers of the series want to get it completely right they're ought to get a new actor? That makes sense I guess. I still don't think that this necessarily qualifies as plothole-. Just another diversion from the book.

Fuck, I feel like I could explain this whole thing really easily, but the example would involve major spoilers from the book.

Here, without those spoilers.

The way it's been portrayed, Faceless Men have their own face, the one they were born with, and they seem to use that when they're not on a 'job'. So, if your not off assassinating, you get to be yourself, so to speak. When you are, you assume another face.

Given how the faces are acquired, the statement 'Jaqen H'gar is dead ' has double meaning, although it's unlikely Jaqen H'gar was ever anyone's real name, more likely just a cover.

Of course, the easiest way to show items the same character on the show is to use the same actor, but given we've had two Mountains and two Daario's, I'm not sure that matters.

I tried to keep out of book stuff, YMMV.

Yeah

He essentially said he was done using the Jaqen identity, and we saw him switch to a new one before he left.

http://youtu.be/52QsDDBvhRc

It's not a plot hole, I suppose, it's just ignoring something they appeared to set up. But again, most people won't remember Jaqen's name, but will hopefully recall that actor, so its the smart move to bring him back.