General Football Thread

Starvinho

Miami Beckhams promised to stop the teardown pending the hearing on the lawsuit...

and immediately proceeded to continue to tear down lights before the hearing began.

Beckham is the Antichrist.

And the (bribed) judge decides that because a bid is somehow not a bid, Satan can demolish history for a pop-up shitbox.

David Beckham is pure evil.

Look I know I'm mostly projecting but in the end all of this could have been prevented if Beckham actually supported the local teams in place during his attempt. So even if he wasn't involved every step of the way, in the end he was directly responsible for essentially erasing sixty years of sports history for no reason other than he wasn't there for any of it.

So yeah, bit pissed at that.

Demolition is tomorrow. They're holding a fucking party. Six decades of sporting tradition torn down for a temporary stadium that they plan on tearing down year two into their fifty year lease, and a fucking party.

What's next? Gonna kick some puppies while you're at it? Fucking scumbags.

I appreciate my research into this only goes as far as wikipedia, but that says the site was going to be knocked down for a waterpark, while Beckham et al have now bought the site to hold a spanking new training setup with a stadium? That doesn't feel particularly evil.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

Demolition is tomorrow. They're holding a fucking party. Six decades of sporting tradition torn down for a temporary stadium that they plan on tearing down year two into their fifty year lease, and a fucking party.

What's next? Gonna kick some puppies while you're at it? Fucking scumbags.

Stadiums don't last forever. Wembley, Giants Stadium, the Maracana, the Georgia Dome. All been flattened.

Plus, Becks is a good bloke. Got a wand of a right foot.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Adam said:

Stadiums don't last forever. Wembley, Giants Stadium, the Maracana, the Georgia Dome. All been flattened.

Plus, Becks is a good bloke. Got a wand of a right foot.

You don't hold a fucking party to celebrate demolishing one. Especially one you don't actually want to have the grounds of and will abandon the first chance you get.

And fuck Beckham. He had loads of chances to actually contribute to the existing footy culture and opted to step on it instead. And even if he wanted to start from scratch he had loads of options that wouldn't have him playing 30 miles away from the actual city he wants to be in.

I don't know if I can even get excited for footy anymore because of this shit.

I mean, being serious, I guess I'm just not getting the local context on this one. Is an MLS team representing Miami not a good thing either way? Genuinely asking.

As for throwing parties for big demolitions, that is a pretty common thing I thought. There is a large human fascination interest in seeing a big structure crumble in moments.

5 minutes ago, Adam said:

I mean, being serious, I guess I'm just not getting the local context on this one. Is an MLS team representing Miami not a good thing either way? Genuinely asking.

Well, Fort Lauderdale is about as far away from Miami as Liverpool is to Manchester. Two different cities.

The Miami supporters say they're happy about it but A) They've openly stated they'll refuse to make the trip to Lockhart and B) Miami is notoriously fair weather in it's sports support, so the idea of them going to the games is highly unlikely. And the Ft Lauderdale football community here don't want the MLS here and well... the Strikers were pretty much fucked over by shady corporate deals so apart from FXE (the group that tried to contest Beckham's bid) who have actually reached out to the community and made a good impression, there's a huge anti-corporate footy sentiment here.

This deal has effectively killed MLS' market in Ft Lauderdale, and even if the World Cup was to hold a match in Beckham's stadium? Locals will probably rather go to Joe Robbie instead.

Beckham could have ingratiated himself with the Ft Lauderdale market long ago, but he didn't give us the time of day until now.

Also should be noted that Beckham's chief partner in this is Jorge Mas, the guy who tore down the Orange Bowl for an unmitigated eyesore that nobody likes (or even goes to). So not exactly a good track record there.

• Like 2

• Admin

More than a century after the first women’s football match and 110 statues of male players, the first prominent public sculpture of a female footballer will be unveiled next month.

A life-size statue of Lily Parr, the trailblazing, chain-smoking, goal-scoring winger of the 1920s and 30s, will be erected outside Manchester’s National Football Museum in June.

Parr, who died in 1978 aged 73, scored over 980 goals in her extraordinary 32-year career and was the first woman to feature in the museum’s Football Hall of Fame in 2002.

The monument, created by sculptor Hannah Stewart, was commissioned by FA sponsor Mars and will be unveiled before next month’s Women’s World Cup in France.

“We have come a long way since Lily Parr’s days and she deserves recognition as a true pioneer of the sport,” said Marzena Bogdanowicz, the head of marketing for women’s football at the FA.

“Women’s football is in a very strong place today with the England team helping us to drive participation and interest at every level. Lily Parr was the first woman to enter the Football Hall of Fame, an iconic achievement in itself, so it’s only fitting that she takes her place alongside other football legends and becomes the first woman to be celebrated with a statue in her honour.”

Parr played for the Dick, Kerr Ladies, a team comprised of workers at a munitions factory in Preston, Lancashire, which became the most successful women’s team of all time. Parr netted 34 goals for the club in her first season, aged just 14.

The 6ft (183cm) winger, who reputedly had one of the strongest left-footed shots in the game, represented England in the first women’s international game in 1920, when England beat France 4-0 in front of a 15,000-strong crowd.

Female participation in the game surged during the first world war and Parr’s career took off at a time when the women’s game overshadowed the men’s, with millions of fit young men sent to the frontlines to fight.

On Boxing Day 1920, a match between Dick, Kerr and St Helens Ladies at Goodison Park was watched by a crowd of 53,000 with thousands more locked outside. Just a year later, women’s football was outlawed by the FA who deemed it “quite unsuitable for females” – a decision that was only reversed in 1969.

Who ever posted that horrific Man City shirt with scraps of all different kits mixed in, I give you this monstrosity.

d087f0a.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...