General Football Thread

Starvinho

• Admin

It’s perhaps not a surprise that Norway’s Erling Braut Håland is excelling at the Under-20 World Cup. He has the genetics – his father is former Man City and Leeds player Alf-Inge Håland – and the size – at 6ft 3in he towers over many of the other players at the tournament. But few would have predicted he would score nine goals in a single match, as he did against Honduras on Thursday.

Norway’s 12-0 win was the largest in Under-20 World Cup history and his nine goals were the most ever in a single match by one player in the tournament. Only once in the history of the U-20 World Cup has a player scored more than nine in an entire tournament. Honduras played some of the match with nine players after two red cards.

Manchester United, Juventus and Borussia Dortmund have all been linked with Håland in the past, and United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjær coached the teenager when both men were still at Molde. Håland joined Red Bull Salzburg at the start of 2019.

“Haaland should definitely become a world-class striker,” Dagbladet journalist Oyvind Godo told ESPN in 2018. “He is strong as a bear and fast as a horse. He is a killer; a goal machine. The choice of Salzburg is very good, because he is going to be an important player there from the very beginning. It is important to play a lot at his age.”

The 18-year-old is yet to win a senior cap for Norway, and is therefore eligible to play for England as he was born in Leeds. He still supports Leeds United, and has said he dreams of winning the title with the club.

Håland may not get the chance to add to his goal tally: Norway finished third in their group and must wait for other results to see if they qualify for the knockout stages.

Something hilarious about watching those Norway/Honduras highlights and the commentators reaction knowing there's still more to come.

"AND THAT'S HIS HATTRICK!" just two more hattricks still to come.

"IT'S FIVE FOR HALAND!" and yet there are four more goals for him yet to see.

This doesn't diminish any sympathy I have for him and his family, but police reports say he was doing 147mph when he crashed. Just lucky he didn't take anyone with him.

1 hour ago, Colly said:

This doesn't diminish any sympathy I have for him and his family, but police reports say he was doing 147mph when he crashed. Just lucky he didn't take anyone with him.

His cousin died who was in the back. 23 year old. 

It's just sad all round 

3 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

His cousin died who was in the back. 23 year old. 

It's just sad all round 

And he had a second cousin in the car who somehow survived but has serious burns.

Spanish police have confirmed that Jose Antonio Reyes was driving "more than 135mph" when he crashed his vehicle. 

What a fucking waste, so reckless and irresponsible. He's not the first and certainly won't be the last. 

Tragic still, but fuck.

I understand why someone's death would affect people when they've been in the public eye for so long. I do, and that's why I've been avoiding saying much about it - I don't mean just here, irl as well - but when I heard he died in a car crash I just wondered if anyone else had died. Reckless driving puts everyone else at risk. Yes, it's tragic but many people seem to be describing a hero's death and seem to forget (or want to, in any case) this was a speeding accident. It's not something that couldn't be avoided. His cousin was also killed and more innocent people could have died too. And then there are those who didn't.

I feel sorry for his daughters. Way too young to lose their father. His son only a bit older. His wife seems to be having a bad time with all of this too, and understandably so. His parents having to go through the pain of losing a son...

Everyone loses.

Today (june 5th) is the danish constitution day. It is also the date where our arguably best national team beat the USSR back in 85. This game was of course after the horrible events of Heysel. And some have called it one of the greatest world cup qualifiers of all time. 

Full match: Danish commentary (so mute is a pretty good option) 

• Like 1