General Football Thread

Starvinho

I thought it was a good documentary, felt bad for the club and the supporters by the end, especially the staff whose jobs were potentially on the line due to another relegation. Felt that Martin Bain was massively out of his depth running a football club. Stuff like him and the scouting team having massively different expectations when it comes to signings just demonstrated to me that he'd not been communicating with them for some time before that meeting.

• Like 1

I've only watched the first episode but you could tell right away that from a players aspect there were a lot of toxic personalities at the club. 

The whole Gibson situation when it happened of him getting pissed and calling out others and I thought one of the fans on the video hit the nail on the head calling him out for going out getting hammered and blaming others. 

Curious to see what else is shown. I tried watching the Juve one on Netflix but the narrator put me off so much with trying to make everything seem dramatic such as a team photo. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Egypt will host the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, the Confederation of African Football (Caf) has announced.

Egypt beat South Africa, the only other nation to bid, by 16 votes to one with one abstention at a Caf executive committee vote in Senegal.

Original host nation Cameroon was stripped of staging duties in November because of slow preparations.

Egypt has just six months to prepare for the expanded 24-team finals, which kick off in June.

It will be the fifth time Egypt, which won the tournament when it last hosted in 2006, has staged the tournament.

"I want to thank the (Caf) Executive Committee for the trust, and I thank the government for this support," said Egypt FA (EFA) president Hany Abu Rida.

"We organised the tournament on 2006 and that make us against a challenge to make better and better, we are ready for this honour."

"The guarantee from government helped us to win against South Africa and that will help us to make a good tournament," added Ahmed Shobair, vice-president of Egypt's FA.

"The fans will be back again in the stadiums, which will be full in the tournament I promise."

Egypt will use eight stadiums during the tournament, hosting in five different cities: Alexandria, Ismailia, Port Said, Suez and the capital Cairo.

Caf had originally planned to name the new hosts on Wednesday 9 January.

Since stripping Cameroon of this year's event, Caf has offered the country the chance to stage the finals in two years' time, which has meant that the original hosts for both the 2021 and 2023 finals have been asked to delay their tournaments.

Ivory Coast, which was set to host the 2021, has protested against the decision at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Guinea's football federation announced on Monday that it has agreed to move its staging of the Nations Cup from 2023 to 2025.

Tuesday's announcement took place in the Senegalese capital Dakar, which will host Caf's annual awards ceremony later in the day.

Egypt's Mohamed Salah is looking to retain his title as he takes on Gabon's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Senegal's Sadio Mane for the African Player of the Year award.

On 20/12/2018 at 00:01, Gorka said:

It has the usual sport documentary problems of crowd reaction shots not corresponding to reality i.e. celebrations from different games pieced together.

I can get why this might be bothersome on some level to some people but I can 100% understand why a documentary would be edited like that. 

Seeing this thread pop up reminded me that I haven't posted about Barry Town recently, so here goes.

"Phase 1" of the Welsh Premier League ended on Saturday night, and Barry are top of the league! It's an amazing achievement considering how TNS piss it every season, and Barry were 8th this time last year and part of the relegation play-off group going into Phase 2.

Their season has been helped by Newport County loanee Moudou Touray. He's been scoring goals for fun and managed to get a Wales U21 call-up because of his performances. Also, the missus' cousin has spent the last year absolutely destroying defences from right back as well, leading to being linked to a move to TNS and the Football League.

Being in the top 6 after the split now means that: if they win the league, they'll get to play a CL and probable subsequent EL qualifier. 2nd or 3rd gets them into the EL qualifiers, and 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th are guaranteed a play-off to determine the last EL spot. I'm quietly confident of European football returning to Jenner Park next season!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Baddar said:

Seeing this thread pop up reminded me that I haven't posted about Barry Town recently, so here goes.

"Phase 1" of the Welsh Premier League ended on Saturday night, and Barry are top of the league! It's an amazing achievement considering how TNS piss it every season, and Barry were 8th this time last year and part of the relegation play-off group going into Phase 2.

Their season has been helped by Newport County loanee Moudou Touray. He's been scoring goals for fun and managed to get a Wales U21 call-up because of his performances. Also, the missus' cousin has spent the last year absolutely destroying defences from right back as well, leading to being linked to a move to TNS and the Football League.

Being in the top 6 after the split now means that: if they win the league, they'll get to play a CL and probable subsequent EL qualifier. 2nd or 3rd gets them into the EL qualifiers, and 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th are guaranteed a play-off to determine the last EL spot. I'm quietly confident of European football returning to Jenner Park next season!

That Macauley Southam-Hales by any chance?

Villa are being linked with him strangely enough.