2011 Summer Transfer Window Thread

Starvinho

Mikel Arteta confirmed. Top signing.

Never thought I'd see a deadline day like this being an Arsenal fan. All in all I'm happy with our business. In much better shape than we were at the beginning of August. Much more experience now, two national captains signed and a club captain.

In much better shape than we were at the beginning of August. Much more experience now, two national captains signed and a club captain.

Yeah because being on the brink of a crisis, getting smashed by Man Utd and having tow essentially older and inferior versions of Fabregas and Nasri is a much better place to be in than when they had them at the start of August.

• Like 1

Guest flierthananostrich

Arsenal's defense is looking better at least and im excited to see Arteta in an Arsenal shirt playing their style of football. As expected no one in for Man U though :(

• Like 1

and a big loss for Liverpool too you'd have to day.

Not really.

Had a purple patch just after Kenny had taken over but other than that he was really average at best. Shits out of tackles and has a habit of going missing for long stretches of games.

To be honest I'm more disappointed that Aquilani went than Meireles.

• Like 1

Not really.

Had a purple patch just after Kenny had taken over but other than that he was really average at best. Shits out of tackles and has a habit of going missing for long stretches of games.

I'm just a bit miffed we didn't hold Chelsea up for more or insisted on Sturridge or Malouda in exchange.

Not really.

I'm just a bit miffed we didn't hold Chelsea up for more or insisted on Sturridge or Malouda in exchange.

True, but £12m for him's not bad considering Arteta apparently went for around £10m.

Overall I'm really pleased with our window, though. Strengthened in all the areas that needed to be strengthened, added a couple more on top of that, and got rid of the likes of Poulsen, Degan, Jovanovic and Cole (even if it's only for a year).

Squad is much, much better now than it was at this point last season.

Spurs didn't get anyone else. Crouch to Stoke went through.

Bessone to Swansea in possibly the strangest move of the day, however. He was our 4th choice left back and he's gone to a club in the league above >_<

This surprised me because I remember after those drubbings last season against Preston and Barnsley all your fans said he was utterly atrocious, yet now he finds himself at a Premier League club?

I'm disappointed Meireles left and even more disappointed that Arteta moved, especially in the manner that he did. That leaves a whole at Everton and I'm sorry but I do not buy that they'll be okay because "Ross Barkley can fill the gap". Not yet he can't, he can get going as a first team member but not as the key man in the centre of midfield. That's a big loss for Everton and whilst Beckford's move seems to have been offset by the arrival of <insertthatargentiansnamehere>, Drenthe is hardly a direct Arteta replacement.

Liverpool though...great to see the deadwood cleared out. Joe Cole leaving is good, and I nearly hit the roof in delight when I read that Bolton had signed N'Gog. I was never convinced by him, he's too lightweight. Overall, cannot complain at all, even with Meireles leaving, when this summer has seen the all-important left back position solved, another strong centre half brought in, several new midfield players to completely revitalise the attacking line and then you think that Carroll and Suarez are recent signings too.

Bad day for Everton and Newcastle then, but Arsenal have done good business as have Stoke...they've made some cracking signings at the 11th hour. I'd say it was a bad day for Tottenham but they've kept Modric and have offloaded a lot of their surplus too. Not sure about the options in attack though. I may be forgetting someone but who is there now besides Defoe, Pavlyuchenko and the injured van der Vaart?

Not really.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: anyone who truly believed Studge was ever on the market this summer was damn well deluded.

Meireles isn't necessary an improvement to the first 11 but will be valuable in adding to the numbers in midfield and, for example, allowing Ramires to actually get a rest some day.

I'm most taken by the sheer reasonableness of the fees on this transfer day. £6m, £8m, £10m, £12m? Did we slip back 8 years without my noticing?

I love Arteta, and I wouldn't feel as bad had he not sprung this on Everton at the eleventh hour meaning their team was significantly weakened and the fact I've watched interviews with him for the entire of last week with everytime him saying Everton need to keep their best players at the squad.

It's okay though, they did manage to loan Denis Stracqualuris so they should be fine. <_<

I like Bryan Ruiz to Fulham, shows what Jol can bring to the table as manager. Also if it's true they saw off a late bid from Newcaslte (and I mean very late) but I don't know how true that is. David Craig said he was en route to St James I think, but David Craig will say anything to make his time on TV seem a little more exciting, plus I remember Newcastle putting in a late bid for N'Zogbia (with about ten minutes to go) in January so I don't know how much of it is trying to sign a player and how much of it is Ashley saying: "Look, I am trying to sign players, honest!" All the while I'm sure Pardew is just being told what to do.

I'm pretty happy with the window as a whole, nothing out of the ordinary and no daft £35m signings 'just because', but some astute moves. Chelsea look to have strengthened at the last minute, I'm happy with Bendtner at us because maybe a player with some self-confidence will give us a boost, Dann to Blackburn should make them a lot better at the back and Blackburn must be happy knowing they have Dann and Samba until at least January given both could be playing probably at a higher level. Also not too disappointed at Ferdinand leaving to QPR, he was a big earner and a bit of a clutz but he was pretty decent at left back when we put him in there. He'll have been right down the bottom of the pecking order (O'Shea, Brown, Bramble and Turner will all play centre back ahead of him) but we get so many injuries we may rue selling him at some stage this season, although he was never a great player. QPR are putting together a nice little side as well and since the take over seem much more likely to stay up than they did.

Glad it's over though, I won't lie.