The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

• Admin

Nah, the Yak is still there.

Manchester City's sponsorship deal with Etihad Airways will be analysed by Uefa's financial fair play (FFP) boss.

In a 10-year deal reportedly worth £400m, Etihad now sponsors both the club's shirt and the stadium.

But with City and Etihad sharing Abu Dhabi links, critics have claimed this is an attempt to circumvent European football's strict new financial rules.

City declined to reply, although the club have previously said speculation over the figures was "not accurate".

When asked what his reaction was when he first heard about City's deal, the chairman of Uefa's Financial Control Panel, Jean-Luc Dehaene, said:

"I had some questions, yes.

"You know where the problems are and you know you will have to confirm them. But on the other hand they are all members of the ECA (European Club Association) and if they don't follow the rules they won't have the support of the other clubs.

"But it would be dangerous for our authority if we take judgements without facts."

The 71-year-old former Prime Minister of Belgium confirmed his panel would "benchmark" all deals to make sure they were "fair value".

"If we see clubs that are looking for loopholes we will act," he said.

"It is not enough to say 'we've got a sponsorship contract and that's OK' if the contract is out of line."

As well as the shirt and stadium, Etihad also sponsors The Etihad Campus which is being developed around the ground. This will create an expanded academy, sports science centre and training ground, as well as office and retail space and a 7,000-seat stadium for youth games.

All of this investment is exempt from the FFP rules as it is not deemed football-related. Any income accrued, however, does count.

In an exclusive interview with BBC Sport on Monday, City's chief executive Gary Cook said the deal was "unique".

"The Ethihad Campus, which constitutes some 210 acres is unique in its breadth, depth and length of term," he said.

"It involves the tradition, which is shirt sponsorship, the naming rights of the stadium, but what we haven't seen in football is a campus, creating a place to be, to work.

"We've got a great relationship with Ethihad. It's a long-term programme and they are equally very excited by it."

Cook added that City's recent spending was "not sustainable" but was needed to quickly attain Champions League football.

Manchester City have been the focus of intense scrutiny ever since an Abu Dhabi-based consortium led by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan bought the club in 2008.

The club made a loss of £93m in 2008-09, £121m in 2009-10 and last year's figures, due in September, are expected to be even worse, despite an increase in turnover partly due to a number of lucrative sponsorship deals with other Abu Dhabi-based companies.

Etihad Airways, for example, is owned by the Abu Dhabi government. The oil-rich state's ruler, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, is Sheikh Mansour's half-brother.

Everton really do have to sell to buy. I was saying to a few Evertonians I know that they should be going after Barton but even then I don't think they can afford the wages.

Did Yakubu leave? I knew he was only out on loan last season but did Leicester make it permanent?

They have to sell to buy but £3m for Beckford wouldn't be worth it at all because they'd still have to replace Beckford which they'd struggle to do for <£3m, plus he's only - allegedly - on £30k per week, so it's not like they'd be saving huge amounts on their wages. I doubt this will go through, it's going to take a much bigger offer - somewhere close to £10m.

David Moyes is the perfect example of a British manager who should go abroad. He's done all he can at Everton and he doesn't have the name value for an English Champions League side.

Edited by Pesci

It's exactly the same as a couple of seasons ago when Jones tapped Ilunga and Ilunga hurled himself to the floor. He shouldn't have done it, you can't raise your hands to it. Think Ilunga got booked, like Barton did, so could get away with it.

So Theo Walcott has his own Roy of the Rovers style books about a boy called TJ? Who is obviously running but looks like he's throwing a punch to me. :shifty:

1427: FOOTBALL: Arsenal midfielder Alex Song has accepted a charge of violent conduct and will now serve a three-match suspension, the Football Association have confirmed.

Much deserved as well.