The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

What mongs commentators are sometimes. Wilkins obviously got it into his head that Cabaye was being a filthy diver despite the fact that he quickly got up from that tackle and then obviously realised he'd hurt himself seriously. Wilkins keeps repeating his mantra 'just get up and get on with the game, it's a foul and that's enough.' Yeah, Cabaye was trying to do exactly that when he noticed he was hurt.

Wilkins adamantly refused to believe he could be injured and even when the stretcher came on, didn't waver in his belief. Said 'Why is he going off on a stretcher, there's no sub warming up so they obviously believe he's getting back on the pitch?' Then even as he was getting carried down the tunnel, not a single bit of contrition from him. Just got inexplicably angry at Ben Arfa, the sub, saying 'I don't know why it takes these guys so long to get ready to get on the pitch. Get your shin pads on and get on there - your team needs you!'

What a twat. So easy to see criticise other people when you're simply too stupid to see what's going on. Easy to just make assumptions that reinforce your stereotypes and even when you're proven wrong you can then just ignore your error and find someone else to rip into with no justification. Bet it comes out that Cabaye's broken a metatarsal or something and we'll probably hear nothing from Wilkins about the matter.

Edited by -A-

What mongs commentators are sometimes. Wilkins obviously got it into his head that Cabaye was being a filthy diver despite the fact that he quickly got up from that tackle and then obviously realised he'd hurt himself seriously. Wilkins keeps repeating his mantra 'just get up and get on with the game, it's a foul and that's enough.' Yeah, Cabaye was trying to do exactly that when he noticed he was hurt.

Wilkins adamantly refused to believe he could be injured and even when the stretcher came on, didn't waver in his belief. Said 'Why is he going off on a stretcher, there's no sub warming up so they obviously believe he's getting back on the pitch?' Then even as he was getting carried down the tunnel, not a single bit of contrition from him. Just got inexplicably angry at Ben Arfa, the sub, saying 'I don't know why it takes these guys so long to get ready to get on the pitch. Get your shin pads on and get on there - your team needs you!'

What a twat. So easy to see criticise other people when you're simply too stupid to see what's going on. Easy to just make assumptions that reinforce your stereotypes and even when you're proven wrong you can then just ignore your error and find someone else to rip into with no justification. Bet it comes out that Cabaye's broken a metatarsal or something and we'll probably hear nothing from Wilkins about the matter.

Was just about to post something along these lines.

Ray Wilkins is just an awful pundit. Plain and simple. I actually find it difficult to watch games that he commentates on, I was hoping he'd join QPR is some capacity just to get him off the tele.

He's already said "it's a foul, nothing more, end of" about 6 times already and that's no exaggeration. Along with "he's talented young man" about 14. Aaaaaaand mute.

Also, shouldn't have anybody as clearly biased towards QPR as him commentating.

Ha, have that Ray.

Edited by Gooner27

Anything that includes a picture of that horrific Eduardo injury loses all humour it had in my view.

And I know I'm a little late, but I feel I live just about on the furthest south line of the 'north' and we too drop the shot glasses into the bigger class with jaegerbombs. I see no reason why you wouldn't. So if we do it right, and people in Newcastle do it right, I fail to see how this girl has any idea what she's talking about.

Anything that includes a picture of that horrific Eduardo injury loses all humour it had in my view.

Apologies, I picked a picture that didn't actually show the injury for this reason but obviously once you've seen it it's hard not to remember it.

Yeah tis, was the nastiest thing I've ever seen happen on a football pitch. True you did pick possibly the 'best' (not the greatest of words to choose) picture of the incident.

People starting to bandy about Alan Pardew's name for the England job? That'd be...surprising!

Alan Pardew is genuinely a good manager (I'm a West Ham fan.) This isn't to say that he'd be great in the England job, but that's just a nightmare position for any manager.

That first season in the Premiership under his management and the FA Cup final the next year were probably my favourite time as a fan. We played great football and he'd built that team. I think the behind-the-scenes shenanigans after the Icelandic owners took over were too much for him to handle and that's understandable. If he's left to quietly build a team I think he's in his element. Of course, that's the exact opposite of what the England job entails :D

I don't care enough about Blackburn to bother with whatever that is.

I know QPR are down 1-0, but how are they actually fairing on the pitch under Hughes? Any better? I can see him trying to get an out-and-out goal getter before January is over.

Anyway, off to the pub I go for Arsenal/Swansea, hoping for a Swansea victory but I'll see this going to Arse at 3-2. Mmm, might check the odds for that match actually.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

Alan Pardew is genuinely a good manager (I'm a West Ham fan.) This isn't to say that he'd be great in the England job, but that's just a nightmare position for any manager.

That first season in the Premiership under his management and the FA Cup final the next year were probably my favourite time as a fan. We played great football and he'd built that team. I think the behind-the-scenes shenanigans after the Icelandic owners took over were too much for him to handle and that's understandable. If he's left to quietly build a team I think he's in his element. Of course, that's the exact opposite of what the England job entails :D

I must say as one of the 'Pardew? You fucking kidding me?' brigade when he was first appointed, the job he has done since has been nothing short of miraculous. It's clear that he puts the hard work in in terms of tactics and preparation and it's paying dividends. A very astute decision by Mr. Ashley it seems.

I know QPR are down 1-0, but how are they actually fairing on the pitch under Hughes? Any better? I can see him trying to get an out-and-out goal getter before January is over.

He should know the extent of the task at hand by now. He's got work to do. They probably don't deserve to lose this match but their lack of cutting edge in front of goal is pretty evident. That said they have hit the woodwork twice, whilst Newcastle have scored off their only shot on target. It's those sort of fine margins that sway a match like this and it's obvious there's work to be done at QPR if they are to stay up.

Arsenal: Szczesny, Djourou, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Miquel, Song, Ramsey, Benayoun, Walcott, Arshavin, Van Persie

Subs: Almunia, Yennaris, Squillaci, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Henry, Park

Also why don't Sky just call a spade a spade and drop the superlatives and call it "Sky Football on Sunday". They can't all be super. If this Sunday's been super, well..