General Movie Thread

Jimmy

I'm not overly familiar with Al Pacino's body of work outside of the usual go to films, i.e. the Godfather ones and Scarface (ugh) but holy crap I just saw Carlito's Way for the first time last week and holy shit this movie deserves way more love then it gets.. Such a powerful film, everyone involved with it brought there A (A + in some cases) games. The movie itself takes awhile to get going but when it does, it does and it never lets up even for a second. I was expecting to turn this on and get Scarface part two, but instead I got a great character driven drama that just happens to involve someone who lived a life of crime and criminal situations.

Al Pacino with the greatest of ease makes you forget that he is the iconic coked out Cuban who indulges in a life of crime, looking for what is his and makes you root for Carlito. The last hour of this movie is just absolutely intense, and may be some of the most suspenseful ever as Carlito's world begins to crumble down around him you can't help but let out a sigh of relief as you dodges obstacle after obstacle, tense up when it seems he's finally been caught up with past decisions, and so on and so forth.

This is a pretty ramble-ly post but yeah, I'd say if I had to make a list of top 20 greatest films list, after watching Carlito's Way I can honestly say it'd crack top 10, if not 5. Such a great, great film.  

• Like 1

Have you not seen Dog Day Afternoon, then? Because you should see Dog Day Afternoon.

I love you :wub:

Dog Day Afternoon is one of the best films ever. And fuck, Pacino isn't even the best thing about that film, because Cazale absolutely fucking nails it as Sal. Absolutely fucking nails it. It's got two of the best lines in a film (well, one of it is more of a chant, but its iconic as fuck) and one of the most intense third acts I've ever seen. 

Sidney Lumet is mad underrated. You could put up 12 Angry Men, Network, and Dog Day Afternoon against pretty much any three films from any other director, I think.

I hope this is good. 

A24 has been pretty consistently coming out with some really great films. This one looks like it has potential. And it also reminds me that Slow West is available for Amazon Prime customers so I'm definitely gonna finally watch that soon.