American Sports Teams

Benji

So, I added ESPN to my TV package over the summer with the intent to watch more MMA. It's a lot of money just for one sport though, so I'm looking to start watching American sports since the three I care about watching start within the next month or two. Problem being, I can't really watch sports unless I have a favourite.

So, EWB, I'm putting my fandom in your hands - which teams from the NBA, NFL and NHL should I support, and why?

Edited by Benjirino~!

NFL - The Detroit Lions. That's how you can learn what it's like to be a fan, to see those two glorious weeks where it looks like it might finally come together, contrasted against the other fourteen where you just want to lock yourself in the garage and keep the ignition running. No team in the NFL has sucked harder in recent times than the Lions, and they continually install new top tier prospects via the draft only to ruin them because the rest of their team is plug ins and pylons. If you like drinking, this is the team for you.

NHL - The Colorado Avalanche. They're probably one of the best teams in terms of young talent at the forward position, so they can run and gun with anyone in the league and, if you're watching hockey, you might as well watch exciting hockey. This is all dependent I suppose on the Avalanche not continuing to implode. If they do that, watch Canucks games and hate the Avalanche like I do. >_>

NBA - There isn't going to be a season anyway, so why bother picking a team?

So, EWB, I'm putting my fandom in your hands - which teams from the NBA, NFL and NHL should I support, and why?

NFL: New York Giants

Well it's a middle of the road team. Won a miracle Superbowl back in 2008 as you may already know so there's a history of recent success and have been floundering ever since. You're not picking a glory hunting juggernaut of a team and most of the players are likeable too which is what you want when choosing a team, especially Eli Manning, but excuse my man crush :wub:. It's a transitional period too so you get to witness the decline or else the improvment over the next few years.

Plus New York are shown regularly enough over here so you'll actually get to see your team play, if you supported a team like Lions yuo'd get to see them on Thanksgiving and that's basically it. Lions would be a good choice otherwise though, they've got a young and talented team. Or you could pick the Eagles and be an cunt. <_<

NFL: Any team that's not Pittsburgh or New England (and this year to an extent Philly) is a good start as I see them much like the "Big X" clubs in Association Football, When I finally settled on Baltimore a little bit back as my team they were always a contender for making the Superbowl but never quite there (Always running into Pittsburgh or New England ironically) and I fell in love with the Smashmouth Defence and running based offence, Combined with a bunch of other little things that you just have to find in your chosen team to really seal the deal in your mind.

You might bounce around following a few different teams like I did before you finally settle on that one team.

as for suggestions I would recommend Baltimore (Obviously), Tampa Bay (Young team that's won a title in the past but really haven't done much since), Seattle (Hasn't won a title that isn't really here nor there) or Houston (Newest team in the league, Been middle of the road or worse since the start but may be on the rise)

Guest mr. potato head

NHL: Colorado Avalanche. Everything Sean said, plus the team will likely stay together for years so you won't have to get to know a lot of new players after the first time, plus they have cool uniforms, plus you'd join Plubby and Dragsy in the "Foreign Avalanche Fans" brigade.

Being from England I could choose without any regional affiliation. I don't really watch US sport now so I have no idea who you should pick based on current form or excitement. Instead I'll just use this thread as an excuse to talk about the past.

I always supported the Utah Jazz in the NBA mainly because I started watching in the early 90s and Stockton and Malone started destroying the opposition. I started supporting from from the first NBA Jam when they had Malone, Stockton and Hornacek. Brilliant. My brother always supported the Bulls because of Jordan and Pippen so it was pretty cool when for those few years they were the biggest rivals for the Championship. That was when I watched basketball the most.

NFL as a kid was Miami Dolphins. Generally there were a handful of teams whose matches were regularly shown over here at the time meaning you were either Cowboys, Raiders, Redskins, 49ers, Bears or Dolphins. Though my friend was a Buffalo Bills fan for some reason, but it made for good rivalry between us as they were both pretty decent at the time.

Never cared about NHL though randomly by baseball team of choice was the Arizona Diamondbacks for the two years leading to their Championship win. They had a great team then.

Lets stop filling his head with garbage about NFL teams, when the only option was ever really The Dallas Cowboys. America's team Benji, if you're going to follow American sports, you might as well start there. It's worth following them just to see their stadium.

Seriously though, any team that isn't New England or Pittsburgh, they're the NFL's douchebags. I'd never advocate following Philly either, and that was before they had a sociopathic dog murderer at quarterback. My hatred for division rivals prevents me from endorsing the Giants or the Redskins as well. Fuck it, just be a Cleveland Browns fan, I don't think we have any of those around here.

NHL, I support the Islanders, I don't advise that. Go with any team that isn't the Maple Leafs, so you'll actually have a chance to see them win the Stanley Cup.

NBA, Dallas Mavericks, naturally. Current NBA Champions with a 7 foot tall long haired German wrecking machine leading them.

MLB, not the Yankees.

NFL - The Detroit Lions. That's how you can learn what it's like to be a fan, to see those two glorious weeks where it looks like it might finally come together, contrasted against the other fourteen where you just want to lock yourself in the garage and keep the ignition running. No team in the NFL has sucked harder in recent times than the Lions, and they continually install new top tier prospects via the draft only to ruin them because the rest of their team is plug ins and pylons. If you like drinking, this is the team for you.

NHL - The Colorado Avalanche. They're probably one of the best teams in terms of young talent at the forward position, so they can run and gun with anyone in the league and, if you're watching hockey, you might as well watch exciting hockey. This is all dependent I suppose on the Avalanche not continuing to implode. If they do that, watch Canucks games and hate the Avalanche like I do. >_>

NBA - There isn't going to be a season anyway, so why bother picking a team?

That is a very apt description of being a Lions fan. I'll be honest though, this is the first year in a long time I have had real genuine hope. And even with that I'm hopeful for 8 wins, not a super bowl or anything.

You know how to pick an American sports team when you're not American? Play a video game based on it, and the team you end up picking first due to whatever (overall score, just pressing the random button on the team selection or how I did it, the nicest looking logo), and you'll end up with awesome choices like mine below:

NBA: San Antonio Spurs

NFL: Tennesse Titans

NHL: Colorado Avalanche

MLB: New York Mets

See? With the exception of the Titans (and the Mets still, probably), my teams are awesome.

NFL - Baltimore Ravens because you get to have a perennial contender to support and the most intense rivalry in the sport right now between them and Pittsburgh. Every game is a classic battle. You also have a team with legends like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, two of the best to ever play their positions. If you jump on board now you can enjoy games this year with New York Jets, Indianapolis Colts, San Diego Chargers, and of course the aforementioned 2 with the Pittsburgh. There's also a growing likelihood Baltimore will be playing a game in London soon, so you can see them play in person (I think you would at least). You also have the chance to cheer for a team JohnnyPerfect hates. Furthermore it gives you street cred because of how high Baltimore's crime rate is. You can wear your Ravens jersey while walking around with a DVD set of The Wire and all the girls will come calling because of just how badass you are.

Do whatever you want with the other leagues, my teams are the Buffalo Sabres and Washington Wizards but all I ask for is your support of the Purple & Black.